Do they count everything you have at encampment?

Started by ElectricPenguin, January 30, 2011, 10:44:19 PM

ElectricPenguin

JoeTomasone

That would almost certainly depend on what was missing and how hard it would be to replace it.

If you have some examples, we might be able to speculate more.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 30, 2011, 10:49:06 PM
That would almost certainly depend on what was missing and how hard it would be to replace it.

Hahahaha, well tx wing requires sport supports and I don't really care to bring those.

tsrup

Short and simple, If it's on the list, bring it.  If it isn't, leave it at home.

check then recheck your gear.

In the past though, people do forget things, and we have always been accommodating toward that fact (usually it's hygiene items), we send a couple people out to the local BX or what not to get them for you.     
Paramedic
hang-around.

HGjunkie

Of course forgetting a piece of gear and forgetting extra underwear are two distinctly different things...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 30, 2011, 10:56:17 PM
Of course forgetting a piece of gear and forgetting extra underwear are two distinctly different things...

...wouldn't it fit under both category's?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 30, 2011, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 30, 2011, 10:49:06 PM

Hahahaha, well tx wing requires sport supports and I don't really care to bring those.

That would obviously be a judgment call based on why they feel it is required.    Since FLWG does not require them, I can only speculate that TXWG encampments feature activities that may require said protection, and that lacking said protection, you would not be permitted to participate.   

Anyone from TXWG have insight?

ol'fido

Yes. You should bring what's on the packing list. The stuff is on there for a reason and except for your uniforms, uniform accessories, and insignia most of it should be stuff you own anyway. A lot of encampment locations will have access to Wally World if you have forgotten something critical like toothpaste or socks. Many will have access to some uniform parts if they are on a military post although this is getting harder for BDUs and if you are not on an AFB you may not have access to blues parts. CAP Insignia...hopefully, someone has an extra.

No. They generally don't check to see if you have everything. They will do a baggage check to see if you have items you ought not too. Check that list too. But I have seen(and alerted the CoC) when I checked a cadet's bags and saw only one extra pair of underwear(Shiver).

Must haves for any encampment: Wooden ruler, shoe polish, sunscreen, foot powder, and laundry detergent. Others will probably add to this list.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: ol'fido on January 31, 2011, 11:16:18 PM
Yes. You should bring what's on the packing list. The stuff is on there for a reason and except for your uniforms, uniform accessories, and insignia most of it should be stuff you own anyway. A lot of encampment locations will have access to Wally World if you have forgotten something critical like toothpaste or socks. Many will have access to some uniform parts if they are on a military post although this is getting harder for BDUs and if you are not on an AFB you may not have access to blues parts. CAP Insignia...hopefully, someone has an extra.

No. They generally don't check to see if you have everything. They will do a baggage check to see if you have items you ought not too. Check that list too. But I have seen(and alerted the CoC) when I checked a cadet's bags and saw only one extra pair of underwear(Shiver).

Must haves for any encampment: Wooden ruler, shoe polish, sunscreen, foot powder, and laundry detergent. Others will probably add to this list.

Detergent wasn't on the list, I will bring anyways. Thanks!!!

Rotorhead

COWG does not "count" your gear to make sure you brought everything. (We DO inspect to make sure you don't bring contraband.) It is wise to bring what's on the list, however. It all has a purpose and remember: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

JROB

I was a TAC Officer at Texas wing's winter encampment. We did not check the number of items that cadets had we checked for contraband items and things of that nature. I would not suggest bringing laundry detergent to the summer encampment I'm not sure if cadets will have access to the laundry facilities on base. Also if you are missing a small item (i.e. hangers, pen, paper) you can usually borrow them from the members of your flight.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

Eclipse

Bring what is on the equipment list from that activity. 

Nothing more, nothing less.

You will be fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: JROB on February 01, 2011, 10:01:15 PM
I was a TAC Officer at Texas wing's winter encampment. We did not check the number of items that cadets had we checked for contraband items and things of that nature. I would not suggest bringing laundry detergent to the summer encampment I'm not sure if cadets will have access to the laundry facilities on base. Also if you are missing a small item (i.e. hangers, pen, paper) you can usually borrow them from the members of your flight.

Thanks!

Daniel

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 02, 2011, 05:12:32 AM
Quote from: JROB on February 01, 2011, 10:01:15 PM

Thanks!

I'ma give you a few tips.

1. Shakedown inspection is just for contraband, no ones going to tediously count your items. That would make things that way to long at in-processing and make everyone want to go home before the encampment even starts.

2. Just because you could borrow something off a flight member doesn't mean you should intend on it though. You should probably pack deliberately.

3. (as someone said) don't pack items that require other things to work, like laundry soap. Unless however that thing something that you can bring (i.e. bringing starch, you should bring an iron.)

4. if they recommend you bring an item. Bring it if you can.

5. don't overpack on stupid things. What are you going to do with 800 hangers?  Especially since the packing list recommended like 3?

6. if you think you might need something for this activity and its not on the packing list but not listed as contraband  then take it.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

1LtNurseOfficer

Most importantly, remember you have to carry around that 200lb bag you brought... upstairs, downstairs, over a wall or wherever else you're told to take it.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on February 02, 2011, 05:57:14 AM
Most importantly, remember you have to carry around that 200lb bag you brought... upstairs, downstairs, over a wall or wherever else you're told to take it.

Are you kidding me? Over a wall???

Eclipse

I can't begin to imagine where you would need to take your gear "over a wall", except maybe NESA.

As to the equipment list - the senior staff who run the activity know exactly what you need to be successful, if it isn't on the list, you don't need it
and yo may not have any place to store it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2011, 06:39:04 PM
I can't begin to imagine where you would need to take your gear "over a wall", except maybe NESA.

As to the equipment list - the senior staff who run the activity know exactly what you need to be successful, if it isn't on the list, you don't need it
and yo may not have any place to store it.

Eclipse, if this were the case then no one in MOWG needs BDU boot blousing bands or sunscreen or chap stick.. things get forgotten
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on February 02, 2011, 07:41:21 PMEclipse, if this were the case then no one in MOWG needs BDU boot blousing bands or sunscreen or chap stick.. things get forgotten

For most people that sunscreen and lip balm would be in their toiletry kit as a matter of course, but point taken about cadets not even considering the need, perhaps you should suggest an update to the list.

I would not consider "blousing bands" to be "equipment" - they should be a part of your standard uniform, though a lot of members don't even know they exist, and even fewer wear them.  We provide a pair to each attendee.

By "equipment" I mean like 24 hour gear and other nonsense that is unnecessary for an encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

This could easily digress into another "strange things you've seen cadets bring to encampment" sort of thread.
If you have the opportunity, talk to other cadets in your home squadrton who have been to encampment and pick their brains about what to bring, what not to bring, what they wish they brought but didn't, what they took and didn't need, etc.
Like has already been mentioned, pack to the list, double check, buy or borrow what you need, check again.
BTW, leave the toys at home. You don't have time, and it may get taken at check-in.