Main Menu

M.R.E

Started by johnboy, June 23, 2010, 03:15:59 PM

johnboy

Do we get to eat M.R.E'S at Encampment? ???
C/SSgt John C. Newsom
NCWG
MER-NC-048

DC

Why would you want to?

Nathan

Generally, no, at least not at any encampment I've attended. MRE's can be kind of expensive ($6 per meal at my local military store).

In addition, they are designed to be meals you eat when you don't have anything else available, not to be a regular meal. Hence, they're designed to be stored for long periods of time, and have a lot more calories than taste.

If you wanted to try an MRE, you can probably pick some up at any military or camping store. But I doubt an encampment would shell out for them. If you go to NESA (National Emergency Service Academy), you will most likely have the chance to try a few.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

capchiro

On the other hand, there have been MRE's at almost every encampment in Georgia since I can remember..  The cadets do love them..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

CadetProgramGuy

The two biggest ticket items at encampments are usually food and billeting.

Last encampment I was in the planning process for, we tried to keep food to $2.00 per cadet per meal per day

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't

If you are looking at 100 cadets, thats $900 per day times 6 days, $5400

Major Lord

You can buy MRE's at the Government rate from an Air Force Dining Facility if you have an itemized MSA ( Name and SS number for all attendees) . They will need a little prior notice. It has always amazed me that Cadets love MRE's so much, personally, I throw them away and eat the pound cake, peanut butter, cookie, etc. Of course, the heater packs have evil applications. After Hurricane Katrina, I will be happy if I never see or smell an MRE as long as I live.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MSgt Van

I've never understood the fascination with MREs. Maybe it's because I had to consume the first generation of the darned things. Dehydrated catsup? How about a nice dehydrated pork patty (eat it dry, tastes kinda like pork jerky). The alleged chocolate cookie was like eating chocolate flavored paraffin. Nummy.

Major Lord

The first Gen M.R.E's were described as "three lies for the price of one" . They are a step up from C-rats, both of which are way before my time, but I have had the pleasure of dining on both.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MSgt Van

Quote from: Major Lord on June 23, 2010, 09:13:05 PM
... both of which are way before my time,

Ouch man, ouch.

capchiro

Believe it or not, we usually get local units to donate MRE's to us to help with encampments, or we buy them on base.  More than one dining in has been over MRE's.  And the cadets prefer them over pizza..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

tsrup

I can see the thought. 

When I was a cadet, eating an MRE was a novelty.  It was kind of "cool".

Now they are meals of necessity.  I would more than happily take chow hall "mystery meat mk.II" over an MRE.

MRE's are valuable because I can leave them in my 24/72 hr gear without worry and that way my gear is ready to go straight away.  But if you have the facilities for chow to be cooked and served, then MRE should stay away.  And I mean far away.
Paramedic
hang-around.

davidsinn

Quote from: capchiro on June 23, 2010, 10:05:44 PM
And the cadets prefer them over pizza..

:o

You might want to trade your cadets in. They are broken. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: tsrup on June 23, 2010, 10:44:15 PM
I can see the thought. 

When I was a cadet, eating an MRE was a novelty.  It was kind of "cool".

Now they are meals of necessity.  I would more than happily take chow hall "mystery meat mk.II" over an MRE.

MRE's are valuable because I can leave them in my 24/72 hr gear without worry and that way my gear is ready to go straight away.  But if you have the facilities for chow to be cooked and served, then MRE should stay away.  And I mean far away.

Oh, no, the dreaded mystery meat! With white gravy, brown gravy, or red gravy. UGH!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

Kangaroo: The other, other, white meat.....

Major Lord

SarDragon

Oh, don't get me started.

PI, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand - all with local "cuisine". As long as it was fully cooked, and tasted good, I didn't ask. That's "real" mystery meat!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: Major Lord on June 23, 2010, 11:04:02 PM
Kangaroo: The other, other, white meat.....

Major Lord

err...red...and pretty delicious. 

ol'fido

Cobra Gold '89... Phitsanoluk, Thailand....T-Rat Corned Beef Hash for breakfast 35..count them! 35 days in a row!! :P :P :P
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Al Sayre

We didn't call them Meals Rejected by Ethiopians for nothing...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Lord

I have been trying to find a list of the menu items in the MRE line-up, it looks like there are lots of civilian "counterfeit" MRE's out there, so someone must like them. Someone suggested to me that MRE's increase in awfulness depending on the numbers of syllables in their name, ie. "Beef Stew" good, "Chicken Tertrizzini" not so good. The vegetarian meals are the worst overall in my opinion ( I don't believe in the murder of innocent vegetables.....)

Major Lord

JC004

Quote from: Major Lord on June 24, 2010, 01:12:27 AM
I have been trying to find a list of the menu items in the MRE line-up, it looks like there are lots of civilian "counterfeit" MRE's out there, so someone must like them. Someone suggested to me that MRE's increase in awfulness depending on the numbers of syllables in their name, ie. "Beef Stew" good, "Chicken Tertrizzini" not so good. The vegetarian meals are the worst overall in my opinion ( I don't believe in the murder of innocent vegetables.....)

Major Lord

http://www.mreinfo.com/