Main Menu

Spell Check Not Working

Started by Airrace, May 27, 2009, 02:43:34 AM

Airrace

I can't get the spell check to work properly. When I click on the icon it just shows a blank page. I am running Windows Vista. Any help would be nice.

MIKE

It is because you are using Internet Exploiter.  It works fine in Firefox 3.0.10.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

there does seem to be a problem with IE if you use the spell check on the "advanced reply" or new topic screen.  If you use the "quick reply", the spellcheck works fine.    Of course, it works everywhere if you use a good browser. ;)    www.getfirefox.com
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

PHall

Of course ieSpell works just fine on IE.  Don't let these FireFox salesmen fool you.

You can find ieSpell on the Microsoft IE Downloads page.

BrandonKea

I'm stuck with Internet Exploder at work, but I tend to be a spelling Nazi, I don't even play around with spell check.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BillB

I don't use spelcheck. I learnt to spel in skool. Butt I re-reed everything I right to make sure speling is goode
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Dutchboy

Considering the faults of IE and it not being 100% spell check compatable, why is it that spell check is being stressed so much? Some members may not have an option of using a different browser due to restriction in place witht he computer they use?

Dutchboy

I am refering to this>>>

News: We have a free spell-check program available next to the "Preview" button for every post. Use it!

Can make some members uncomfortable about using the forum since they get hounded about spelling.

SarDragon

Hounded? That depends on your definition. As one of the leading grammar cops, I generally restrict my counseling to PMs, so I don't consider my own efforts that extreme.

Reminded? Absolutely. Poor spelling obstructs clear communication. A poorly written post is hard to read, and it's difficult to discern its meaning.

It also shows a poor attitude in several different ways.

We expect attention to detail when preparing uniforms for wear, when filling out paperwork, and when doing anything in the aviation arena. Why should it be less important here?

The cadets should be refining their skills for use in school and the cadet program. The senior members should be examples.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

I find it rather discouraging that a CAP Officer feels put off at the request to improve their communications, or not see the need to.

Our language has developed into its current incarnation because it was found that we needed things like Capital letters, commas, periods, etc. to clarify our meaning.  Not using them only serves to cloud the original meaning.

I'm not sure if you've gone to Squadron Leadership School yet.  One of the seminars conducted is specifically titled, "The Staff Officer as a Communicator."  It focuses on how to make our communication more effective and clear.  The top three or so items in the list of things to do/not do are; spelling, grammar, punctuation and providing clear detail.

I am curious about the time when we, as human beings, stopped relying on our own education and abilities to check our work before we submit it for review.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

EMT-83

There's really no excuse for the poor spelling and grammar seen on some of these posts. The writers should be embarrassed. Personally, I compose my posts in Word and paste them to the forum. It doesn't take any longer, and it catches mistakes made when I'm half asleep at the keyboard.

SarDragon

Got a guess what the biggest problem in American English is today?

It's the apostrophe. Specifically its use in the words its and it's.

They are, coincidentally, used correctly above.

its = the possessive of it; belonging to it

it's = a contraction of it is, or it has

Other errors that a spell checker will not catch are misused homonyms:

there, their, they're
your, you're
were, where, we're
whose, who's

Another less common error is would of - what would've sounds like; the contraction of would have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Quote from: messofficer on October 08, 2009, 06:55:40 AM
Considering the faults of IE and it not being 100% spell check compatable, why is it that spell check is being stressed so much? Some members may not have an option of using a different browser due to restriction in place witht he computer they use?

http://tinyurl.com/ygtb4vk

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Good golly, Miss Molly, what a plethora of opportunities to improve your browsers capabilities!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on October 09, 2009, 04:45:14 AM
Good golly, Miss Molly, what a plethora of opportunities to improve your browsers capabilities!

There you go Dave, using those .25 cent words again.  Confusin those of us who ain't got no draggin' up.   ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on October 09, 2009, 07:46:53 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 09, 2009, 04:45:14 AM

There you go Dave, using those .25 cent words again.  Confusin those of us who ain't got no draggin' up.   ;D

Just for you, Grump:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret