Main Menu

NCSA as SM

Started by DBlair, April 15, 2009, 05:20:56 AM

DBlair

Which NCSAs allow SMs to participate or serve on staff?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CadetProgramGuy

all of them.

You just apply with the rest of the Cadets starting in November. Indicate staff on your application.

arajca

If you know which one(s) you are interested in, contact the Activity Director and let them know you're interested and give them you qualifications well ahead of time. If you can't find the upcoming AD, contact the current one. They should know (or have an idea of) who is doing it next.

DBlair

That being said, other than a SM project officer (and maybe a couple affiliated SMs or liaisons), are SMs really allowed to apply as a participant or staff at any NCSA? For example, what about PJOC, COS, National Flight Academy, Civic Leadership Academy, etc. While activities like IACE, NESA, NBB, and HMRS allow SM involvement, I wasn't sure what is allowed regarding the other activities.

arajca

Some NCSA's do have senior staffs.

Stonewall

Speaking from personal experience, NESA and HMRS both have training offered to cadets and seniors alike.  You can participate at any level, from basic up through advanced.

You will be a "student", not staff.  Others such as IACE, COS, PJOC, etc, use seniors as staff members and while you may participate, you are there in a chaperon type status.
Serving since 1987.

DBlair

Quote from: Stonewall on April 16, 2009, 12:12:26 AM
Speaking from personal experience, NESA and HMRS both have training offered to cadets and seniors alike.  You can participate at any level, from basic up through advanced.

You will be a "student", not staff.  Others such as IACE, COS, PJOC, etc, use seniors as staff members and while you may participate, you are there in a chaperon type status.

Yea, I was on staff at NESA (NGSAR) years ago and remember SMs being involved, and I heard that HMRS and NBB likewise allows SM participation, but I heard someone mentioning that others like PJOC have almost no SM involvement and was curious which allow SMs and which don't and if there were certain requirements (like previous attendance as a Cadet, certain ratings, or military experience) in order to be on staff/participate as a SM.

Chief2009

WIWAC at NBB, there were SM TAC's assigned to each flight. However, one of the senior staff members stressed that they didn't take just anybody for TAC's and the selection process was very rigorous.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

jimmydeanno

Speaking from personal experience, other NCSAs do have senior staffs.  I was on the staff for E-Tech at Auburn a few years ago, just got an invite to be COS faculty the other day, etc.  IACE has a lot of support staff that stays stateside, etc.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

swamprat86

PJOC is open for Seniors to attend as TACs but they tend to look for prior graduates.  I have looked at trying to help for the past couple of years, but my focus has been on my Wing's encampment.  Maybe next year.