Main Menu

Starbuck's Via

Started by Eclipse, March 09, 2009, 12:11:15 AM

Eclipse

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/c17-instant-coffee.aspx

Anyone else tried this?  Its basically instant coffee, but its "microground" and suspended in a liquid.

I got a sample in the mail last week and just tried it, not bad - much better than an "instant", but not quite
a drip or press.  I think its less acidic than normal SB coffee.

I could see these being very handy with a Jetboil.  I wonder if something like this will show up in MRE's?

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

what are these jetboils?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Chicago_Pilot

Front line Frappuccinos....

IceNine

How did you get a sample?  I like free stuff
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

I dunno - came in the mail, probably because I have a registered SB card.

"That Others May Zoom"

_

I have a Starbucks Gold card, I haven't gotten free samples, I demand free samples.  >:D ::)

For now I keep a couple of the self heating coffees i got from Walmart, in my ready bag. 

maverik

I heard about those on the history channel a few years ago and also wanted to try it but didn't think they were on the market are they any good?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

_

Quote from: SARADDICT on March 09, 2009, 12:04:58 PM
I heard about those on the history channel a few years ago and also wanted to try it but didn't think they were on the market are they any good?
They're not bad but nowhere near Starbucks quality.  They don't get very hot and the size is deceptive because most of the space is taken up by the warming element.  But when you just have to have coffee they come in handy.

Eclipse

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on March 09, 2009, 09:23:44 PM
They're not bad but nowhere near Starbucks quality.  They don't get very hot and the size is deceptive because most of the space is taken up by the warming element.  But when you just have to have coffee they come in handy.

Some of those self-heaters have had safety issues as well.
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3028 (couple years ago)

BTW - I had the other sample this morning - the first was the Italian Roast as mentioned above, this AM was Columbia (not Columbian?).  Same thing - quick, clean, and not a bad cup of coffee - a press makes a "better" cup, but is more hassle, my Senseo is probably right behind the Via for ease.

But in terms of tossing a couple of these tubes in your pocket and just hunting hot water, its hard to beat.  Anyone know
what these cost? I haven't been to an SB's for a few days and I don't see any $$$ on the website.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

oh well forget the self heating miracles but I will take the vias but they are only availiable in starbucks in chicago and seatlle and I will not drive up state for a cup of cofee but I do know a few people who will ;D (*rolls eyes coffee addicts*)
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Eclipse

Quote from: SARADDICT on March 09, 2009, 11:04:39 PM
oh well forget the self heating miracles but I will take the vias but they are only availiable in starbucks in chicago and seatlle and I will not drive up state for a cup of coffee but I do know a few people who will ;D (*rolls eyes coffee addicts*)

Come to ILWG Spring Encampment and pick some up on the way through downtown!

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

Nevermind cutoff for staff was long agooooooooooo. Must have excuse to go up there. :-\
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Eclipse

Quote from: SARADDICT on March 09, 2009, 11:12:22 PM
Nevermind cutoff for staff was long agooooooooooo. Must have excuse to go up there. :-\

There are cadets who attend more than one encampment as a basic, some times several.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

yeah I know but i'm also going to NESA so I'd rather not go as a basic but I should be up that way sometime for one thing or another.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

dwb

I like that a thread about coffee is in the "Tools of the Trade" forum. :)

Eclipse

Coffee is the fuel of SAR (and just about everything I do...

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

I don't see how my fellow cadets survive there's nothing like waking up on a 45 to 50 degree morning and having a canteen cup of cofee.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

_

Quote from: Eclipse on March 09, 2009, 09:46:13 PM
Quote from: Bayhawk21 on March 09, 2009, 09:23:44 PM

Some of those self-heaters have had safety issues as well.
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3028 (couple years ago)

I saw that page too.  My bet is that when they fist started making them they put too much of the chemicals in there to get it really hot.  The one's I've had never got anywhere hot enough to melt anything but ice.  By my calculations you have a better chance of your laptop battery blowing up than one of these things.

IceNine

Quote from: SARADDICT on March 09, 2009, 11:04:39 PM
oh well forget the self heating miracles but I will take the vias but they are only availiable in starbucks in chicago and seatlle and I will not drive up state for a cup of cofee but I do know a few people who will ;D (*rolls eyes coffee addicts*)

Not true, there is a big sign at my local SB's saying they have them.  I'll ask the price on my morning drive thru
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4