Google Apps for Business

Started by Eclipse, March 06, 2009, 05:35:23 PM

pixelwonk

Quote from: davidsinn on August 25, 2009, 02:04:10 PM
I've been talking with Eclipse about it and I think I'm going to go with google apps non profit. I just needed to know if I could do a website because I got dinged on it in our SUI.
Findings are must-correct items on an SUI.
Lack of a website does not necessitate a finding on your SUI.  Merely an observation.

Good on ya for correcting it anyway.

davidsinn

Quote from: tedda on August 25, 2009, 02:07:51 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 25, 2009, 02:04:10 PM
I've been talking with Eclipse about it and I think I'm going to go with google apps non profit. I just needed to know if I could do a website because I got dinged on it in our SUI.
Findings are must-correct items on an SUI.
Lack of a website does not necessitate a finding on your SUI.  Merely an observation.

Good on ya for correcting it anyway.

We haven't gotten the report back yet. I didn't think it was a finding but it's still a point of pride nonetheless. In the debrief I was told I got all successful's ;D My wife, the over achiever ;), got 3 highly successful's. So I've got a bit of work to do. >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Tubacap

Has anyone asked about the EULA and OPSEC for Google APPs?  Right now, I just use it for squadron stuff, but could we use this for storing and sharing operations documents?  Training programs?  Operations activities that require collaboration?

Has anyone run this through CAP/USAF? 

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eeyore

Google Apps for business has a pretty good security protocol, we use it all the time for non-opsecy stuff. So far, it has primarily been the cadet staff putting together things like SOP's and lesson plans.

Tubacap

I am looking ofr a little bit past that to the world of crew scheduling for sensitive mission types.  It's not hard to get around, just leave off the locations and life is good, but putting them on would be easier.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

swamprat86

That should not be a problem.  With Google Apps, all members must have an account and sign in to be able to access the system.  Also sites, docs and other collaborative items can have various level of access for members determined by the creator of the item.

This means that items for pilots can be set so that only the pilots that you list have access to view, collaborate or own the item.

321EOD

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2009, 05:35:23 PM

I've decided to try Google Apps, which offers their full business-class services for free to 501c(3) organizations.  I've lit up a 300-user license and am in the process of porting over the email accounts as a first step.

I'm considering something similar - wondering if you licensed this with Google as a Squadron/Wing entity or National? How did you go about it?
Thanks
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

IceNine

I listed mine as a local asset to avoid confusion.

I used the federal tax id of course, but the organization name was just the name of my unit.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on October 22, 2009, 08:01:25 PM
I listed mine as a local asset to avoid confusion.

I used the federal tax id of course, but the organization name was just the name of my unit.

Same thing.  No issues or questions were raised, and I transferred an already existing domain name.

"That Others May Zoom"

swamprat86

We did ours at the Wing level but lower units have done it as well.  We just got finished assiting the National CAC in setting up their account so they are using it as well.

321EOD

How long did the Google approval for non profit/education edition take?

I've submitted the online form and it automatically signed me up for standard - form said it takes about a week to get approval. Is that the same experience others have had?

Also, if anyone is happy to post their website URLs created thru Google Apps non profit edition I'd be happy to plagerize!
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

swamprat86

About a week or so sounds right.  All of our sites are private within the domain, but I can email you some screen shots.