Google Apps for Business

Started by Eclipse, March 06, 2009, 05:35:23 PM

Eclipse

After another round of DDOS, poor customer service, and the IP of the shared host being RBL'ed for a major provider, I've decided I have to move my Group's web and mail services to another host.

I've decided to try Google Apps, which offers their full business-class services for free to 501c(3) organizations.  I've lit up a 300-user license and am in the process of porting over the email accounts as a first step.

As an initial note, these are somewhat different from the standard Gmail, etc., services, in that admins have a lot more control on the experience, no ads, and higher SLA.   One downside I've found already is a "trusted user" approach to their mailing lists versus the moderated listserv we are using today.

Does anyone else here use their services?

Tips?  Gotchas?

"That Others May Zoom"

swamprat86

I am heading the project team that is implementing Google Apps within the Wing.  We are all excited about this and if it works the way we like, this is go a long way in streamlining the flow of communication within the wing.

So far, we are ahead of schedule and have not run into any major snags.  I'll keep you posted.

N Harmon

Just curious, but were you utilizing a CAP.GOV domain along with this? If you were, how were you able to accomplish the DNS changes? I've been through three requests by various means to the CAP.GOV administrator to get our MX records added, but have not heard anything.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: N Harmon on March 06, 2009, 07:36:59 PM
Just curious, but were you utilizing a CAP.GOV domain along with this? If you were, how were you able to accomplish the DNS changes? I've been through three requests by various means to the CAP.GOV administrator to get our MX records added, but have not heard anything.

No, we're using our own non.gov domain name.

"That Others May Zoom"

swamprat86

I will check on that for you and let you know.  I am not the tech guy on this just the cat herder.  When we looked at the project outline there didn't seem to be any concerns about this but I don't have the specifics.

Eclipse

The issue we ran into was that the host ISP (at the time) could not pass the canned security test that the .gov administrator was doing because of a mis-reported patch version on one obscure server module.

(i.e. the server was properly patched, but reported the wrong version)

The .gov admin would not budge, and the ISP wasn't about to rebuild a server for one $7 a month client, so for the sake of expediency we cut bait and moved on.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I use it for my organization.  The batch uploads of new users is nice.  Aliases are nice too (.com, .org going to the same box, etc.). 

Groups are awesome.  For instance, we have "students@____.org," which sends it to all of our interns and work study students.  You could do that with cadets, seniors, aircrews, whatever.

swamprat86

Well, DragonNET is up and running.  That is NJ Wing's Google Apps Education edition.  Things are working beautifully and no major issues as yet.  Minor communication glitch with national IT about changing records over but once we got explained what we were looking for a little better everything fell into place.  I'll keep everyone posted on how some of the features are working.

a2capt

One issue with Google Apps is they whack attachments that have an exe file in them, no matter what. Or Java .class, and several other compiled/script ftypes.

... and that includes zip archives with the file contained within.

Get around it? Yeah.. rename the files. Most people can't really deal with this. ...

Use a different compression method such as RAR, 7zip, etc.

So you send something like an IMU update that has an exe file in it, it vanishes. No note, no nothing. Just no attachment. The receiver gets the message with nothing attached. Google isn't the only one that does this, but I would think that with Google Apps you would have the control to override it.

swamprat86

We haven't run into that issue yet and it would probably be a small percentage that this would directly impact.  I have a couple of ideas that might work.  If it comes up I try it.

Pylon

Our squadron uses Google Apps with a xxx.cap.gov subdomain and it's been working just fine for a few months now.  I'm happy with it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RadioRon

gmail is the BEST.  I'm sure you will enjoy it!  Good Luck @ 22 with it  :clap:

ricks

I am trying to put together an online ES library for my squadron using Google Docs. However I have a snag. You are not able to share folders. This is a deal breaker unless someone has a work around. Any advice?

Eclipse

Any documents posted in Google Docs can be shared.

If you want to make them easily public, build a google site.

"That Others May Zoom"

ricks

You can share folders just the individual contents of said folder. Moot point I went ahead and created a private google site. Then I can also post current events and hopefully an RSS feed.

Thanks

LtCol Hooligan

Take a look at Microsoft Skydrive.  It might do what you need.  You can get to it at www.skydrive.live.com.  You can share files and pics.  You can also give people upload permissions and everything.  It works pretty well.  We use it for filesharing at the squadron.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

davidsinn

Stupid question but will google apps allow me to build a public website? ie can I use it as a webhost?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

pixelwonk

Quote from: davidsinn on August 25, 2009, 01:37:29 PM
Stupid question but will google apps allow me to build a public website? ie can I use it as a webhost?

Yes.  Google Sites is part of the Apps package of amenities.
No frills, but hey, it's free.

Capt Rivera

Yes it does allow for some site development....

QuoteGoogle Sites Secure, coding-free web pages for intranets and team managed sites.

Non -profit edition: (Google Sites is included in this edition)
http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/npo/index.html
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

davidsinn

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 25, 2009, 02:00:07 PM

Yes it does allow for some site development....

QuoteGoogle Sites Secure, coding-free web pages for intranets and team managed sites.

Non -profit edition: (Google Sites is included in this edition)
http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/npo/index.html

I've been talking with Eclipse about it and I think I'm going to go with google apps non profit. I just needed to know if I could do a website because I got dinged on it in our SUI.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

pixelwonk

Quote from: davidsinn on August 25, 2009, 02:04:10 PM
I've been talking with Eclipse about it and I think I'm going to go with google apps non profit. I just needed to know if I could do a website because I got dinged on it in our SUI.
Findings are must-correct items on an SUI.
Lack of a website does not necessitate a finding on your SUI.  Merely an observation.

Good on ya for correcting it anyway.

davidsinn

Quote from: tedda on August 25, 2009, 02:07:51 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 25, 2009, 02:04:10 PM
Findings are must-correct items on an SUI.
Lack of a website does not necessitate a finding on your SUI.  Merely an observation.

Good on ya for correcting it anyway.

We haven't gotten the report back yet. I didn't think it was a finding but it's still a point of pride nonetheless. In the debrief I was told I got all successful's ;D My wife, the over achiever ;), got 3 highly successful's. So I've got a bit of work to do. >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Tubacap

Has anyone asked about the EULA and OPSEC for Google APPs?  Right now, I just use it for squadron stuff, but could we use this for storing and sharing operations documents?  Training programs?  Operations activities that require collaboration?

Has anyone run this through CAP/USAF? 

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eeyore

Google Apps for business has a pretty good security protocol, we use it all the time for non-opsecy stuff. So far, it has primarily been the cadet staff putting together things like SOP's and lesson plans.

Tubacap

I am looking ofr a little bit past that to the world of crew scheduling for sensitive mission types.  It's not hard to get around, just leave off the locations and life is good, but putting them on would be easier.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

swamprat86

That should not be a problem.  With Google Apps, all members must have an account and sign in to be able to access the system.  Also sites, docs and other collaborative items can have various level of access for members determined by the creator of the item.

This means that items for pilots can be set so that only the pilots that you list have access to view, collaborate or own the item.

321EOD

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2009, 05:35:23 PM

I've decided to try Google Apps, which offers their full business-class services for free to 501c(3) organizations.  I've lit up a 300-user license and am in the process of porting over the email accounts as a first step.

I'm considering something similar - wondering if you licensed this with Google as a Squadron/Wing entity or National? How did you go about it?
Thanks
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

IceNine

I listed mine as a local asset to avoid confusion.

I used the federal tax id of course, but the organization name was just the name of my unit.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on October 22, 2009, 08:01:25 PM
I listed mine as a local asset to avoid confusion.

I used the federal tax id of course, but the organization name was just the name of my unit.

Same thing.  No issues or questions were raised, and I transferred an already existing domain name.

"That Others May Zoom"

swamprat86

We did ours at the Wing level but lower units have done it as well.  We just got finished assiting the National CAC in setting up their account so they are using it as well.

321EOD

How long did the Google approval for non profit/education edition take?

I've submitted the online form and it automatically signed me up for standard - form said it takes about a week to get approval. Is that the same experience others have had?

Also, if anyone is happy to post their website URLs created thru Google Apps non profit edition I'd be happy to plagerize!
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

swamprat86

About a week or so sounds right.  All of our sites are private within the domain, but I can email you some screen shots.