Headsets for EF Johnson Mobiles

Started by KyCAP, November 02, 2008, 09:44:41 PM

KyCAP

Anyone out there seen or have experience with these for use at Mission Base?
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

♠SARKID♠

After a google search, I can't seem to find any base style headsets anywhere for any EF Johnson radio.

Eclipse

My DC has built some nice home-grown ones, haven't seen anything for the mobiles, just for the HT's.

"That Others May Zoom"

KyCAP

I think that anything for the Motorola HT-1000 handhelds will work, but I haven't seen anything for the base station. 

In a "congested" and busy environment it would be nice to allow the operator to shut everyone else out.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: KyCAP on November 03, 2008, 12:42:50 AM
I think that anything for the Motorola HT-1000 handhelds will work, but I haven't seen anything for the base station.
Advertised as compatible
http://www.radio-factory.com/heavy-duty-noise-reduction-headset-for-motorola-4083ht-p-804.html

As long as we're on headsets, does anybody know of a speaker/mic headset for the Micom-2?  I share our comm room as an office with my PAO, and the HF static is driving her nuts when I do my nightly check ins.  I know the serial number for the headphones is TRN6273, but I can't find a picture and I think its just headphones for use with a CW key.

arajca

Actually, it lists the 5100, which is the portable/handheld, not the 5300, which is the mobile.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: arajca on November 03, 2008, 05:03:07 AM
Actually, it lists the 5100, which is the portable/handheld, not the 5300, which is the mobile.

Ah, right you are; My bad.

w7sar

I've been experimenting on my own 5100 portables and 5300 mobiles using the aviation style david clarke headsets.  So far, so good.  I had to order connectors for the mobile and it worked well.  There is bias voltage and speaker audio available at the connector. 

I just got an adapter for the HT in the mail and have not had too much time to play.  It's pretty straight forward and I am planning on using the PTT switch on the adapter (although I could use a pickle switch). 

Once I get the HT adapter wired, it should work for my motorola public safety radios as well.

The mobile audio was just fine (microphone) and I used a jack to allow a pickle PTT switch or a floor switch.  I'm still deciding on how to mute the mobile audio (for stealth mode).  Not sure I want to or not.  The headset is a great way to go for a comm room/eoc environment.

I've also wired a couple of motorola base microphones for the mobile -- makes it nice for an EOC comm room.  I've also added (with the base mic) the ability for a foot PTT switch.

Jerry Wellman
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

SarDragon

Quote from: w7sar on November 04, 2008, 09:57:58 PM
I'm still deciding on how to mute the mobile audio (for stealth mode).  Not sure I want to or not. 

Put an on-off switch in the internal speaker line in the Aux plug out the back of the radio?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret