Main Menu

Mobile Comm Kits

Started by IceNine, September 09, 2008, 04:59:33 AM

desertengineer1

For HF, each wing should have (average) two MICOM-3 RDP's.  Those radios have everything you need, including a 60' tactical long wire antenna, to get set up within 15 minutes.

RedFox24

Icenice

I did not read all the post so forgive me if this have been mentioned. 

For the HF have you considered using a Hamstick Dipole?  Much cheaper than the Buddipole.  I have set one up and used it on a mission here in IL.  Was able to check into Dupage from here.  Was very weak but readable.   Dipole worked 10X better,  but a lot of places there might not be a place to hang one. 

I purchased the dipole adapter and two 80mtr hamsticks at a hamfest for less than $30, then made two stingers out of brass welding rods cut to the primary frequency.  Maybe had $35 in the antenna when done.

Just a thought.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

blackrain

Sorry to get a little off topic but I have a VXA-220 aviation handheld with David Clark headset, PTT switch and Y adapter. I'm looking into getting into ham radio with a Yaseu FT-60 handheld. Can I use this headset and the listed accessories with the FT-60? I.E. will the Y adapter work with the
FT-60 and will the headset impedance match? If not is their a mod that will make it work? Thanks
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

IceNine

Quote from: RedFox24 on January 23, 2009, 02:59:17 PM
Icenice

I did not read all the post so forgive me if this have been mentioned. 

For the HF have you considered using a Hamstick Dipole?  Much cheaper than the Buddipole.  I have set one up and used it on a mission here in IL.  Was able to check into Dupage from here.  Was very weak but readable.   Dipole worked 10X better,  but a lot of places there might not be a place to hang one. 

I purchased the dipole adapter and two 80mtr hamsticks at a hamfest for less than $30, then made two stingers out of brass welding rods cut to the primary frequency.  Maybe had $35 in the antenna when done.

Just a thought.

I keep looking at the Hamstick and everyone keeps saying to buy the 80mtr one, but all I see on the site is 75.  Advice?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RedFox24

Buy the 75 mtr..  I apologize, I was making the assumption that everyone knows the 75/80mtr bands are together.  Most hams refer to the 75 mtr portion as 80 mtrs I guess because it is easier to say 80 than 75?  Don't know.......

Anyway buy the 75 mtr hamsticks.............  Feel free to PM me if you need help

Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.