Main Menu

PPE

Started by Tubacap, May 11, 2008, 01:29:20 PM

Tubacap

We are currently developing our first Ground Team.  As a squadron, I would like to have some of the Personal Protective Equipment be squadron owned.  Specifially, helmets and safety goggles.

What do people use for hard hats?  What are some good vendors?

How about safety goggles?

Any other PPE stuff that I would be better for the squadron to own as opposed to burdening the member?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

For safety goggles I have a pair of glasses from some company or other that I worked for years ago, still in their plastic wrap - anything cheap from your local "Big Bog Depot will suffice.

Hard hats are not required and I would not bother with them, especially for a new team - I only have one because I got one years ago for nothing.  There will be little to no time you will have opportunity to wear them during the kinds of activity GT's are supposed to be doing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tubacap

Ironically, PAWG requires both eye protection and hard hats for Woodland SAR work, for safety reasons.  Thanks though! 

I also just realized that this thread should probably be under Tools of the Trade... feel free to move mods.
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

I can't speak to local requirements - safety glasses are a good idea in the woods, if for no other reason than the potential for branch whips, etc., in the eye.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tubacap

Agree, they have saved my eyes numerous times.
NER-PA-001

isuhawkeye

n outside perspective

My SAR team requires eye protection and helmets for wilderness operations.  You never know when someone might fall down a ravine, or hit their head on a tree.

MIKE

Quote from: Tubacap on May 11, 2008, 01:38:26 PM
I also just realized that this thread should probably be under Tools of the Trade... feel free to move mods.

So moved.
Mike Johnston

IceNine

This may sound a little cheesy but I have a spelunking helmet that is VERY comfortable that I carry along for giggles.

I also have a pair of the ESS goggles worn by the military.  I have found that if you get a head wrap of some sort and add those goggles much like is done for those in the desert is the best way to combat those harsh wintry winds.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Duke Dillio

I think companies like Fastenal and Galls carry some fairly cheap eye protection.  We don't normally wear that stuff in the field.  I'll put them on if I am working on a patient though.

You can find hard hats pretty much anywhere.  My company gets them from LSS, Fastenal, or McMaster-Carr.  I can only speak from my own personal experience.  I have never worn a hard hat on a CAP ES mission.  I can understand why some people wear them and why some wings feel the need to require them.  I've never been in that position.  If you want the good headgear, try REI, Galls, or Cabela's.  They carry the pretty ones that feel nice.  They also cost a small fortune....

Personally, I think your money would be better spent on an extra DF kit or more radios but that's just my opinion on the matter.  I actually prefer people to buy their own stuff because they get to choose their comfort level.

JayT

I wouldn't mind seeing CAP set a standard for a type of helmet.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

flyerthom

TC

Tubacap

^ Does the helmet come in Orange?   :D

NER-PA-001

Pylon

I hear that Petzl helmets are pretty good quality and popular.  I think you can get them in blaze orange, too.   :-X   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

I wear a leather helmet or work.  but that's a different post entirley.

or sar I wear petxel and I love it.

notaNCO forever

Any safety glasses will work witch, in my opinion is the most important PPE, for helmets I'd go with a hard hat with a chin strap. Really It's probably better to set a certain color for the helmet and tell your GT members to get that color.

W3ZR

Wil,

Check your local Forestry Office. When I took the Woodlands Firefighter
Course, they gave out helmets and eyeprotection for those in class.

If they wont donate a few, perhaps they will tell you their supplier.

Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP

Tubacap

^Thanks, that would be outstanding!
NER-PA-001