What technology do you use?

Started by JoeTomasone, May 07, 2008, 03:07:49 PM

JoeTomasone

I've seen a few threads discussing high tech versus no tech, what tech is used for a given application, but I'd like to see lists of what technology you're using in CAP - whether it be to augment no-tech or to do something completely original.   Here's my list:

1.  Apple iPhone:  Besides the obvious phone/text/email, I also use the built-in Google Maps to enter coordinate data during UDF missions and for general navigation, plus it's ability to find local necessities such as fuel, ATMs, airports, and food help a lot.   I also refer to Navmonster (navmonster.com/mobile) for airport data, and aircraftdata.net (use <state-name>.aircraftdata.net) to look up tail numbers to find the owner.  I also have many of the CAP manuals and regs stored on it for handy access when there's a question concerning them.    Having Google at your fingertips is also handy on occasion.   I can also access all manner of weather information, from radar to forecasts to METARs.  Music and movies help pass the time when required.

2. Laptop:  Delorme Street Atlas, GPS tracking and navigation aside, is useful for taking bearings on a UDF mission; you can draw lines on the map and see the triangulation intersection without drawing on a map or guessing if you're drawing the right bearing.   You can also enter lat/long merge data to see where your hits are.   A mobile aircard from Verizon provides internet/email access when I don't want to use the iPhone.

3.  Diamond MAY-1000 portable beam antenna:  Compact, foldable, and tunable from 120-170 MHz - handy for use with an L-Per receiver, ham radio, or scanner for UDF work.   I am looking forward to using this with the MK4 Sniffer when it arrives, hopefully next week.

4.  5mw green laser pointer:  HIGHLY visible at night - both the point AND the beam.    VERY handy for pointing out items in the dark or silently getting someone's attention at night (like a CQ near sleeping cadets).   

5.  Combination White/Red/Green/Blue LED flashlight:  Got it from Radio Shack for $40, gives you the different colors (which work better for different tasks, believe it or not).  Small, compact, and very handy.

6.  3G/Wifi Mobile Router: Haven't picked it up yet, but am planning to do so.   Insert your 3G aircard (PCMCIA  OR USB), and make a WiFi hotspot instantly.   Great for missions or activities when you want to let multiple people use your internet access - and it doesn't require your PC to be on 24x7 and locked in one place.

7.  15M candlepower searchlight:  Besides being able to bright daylight where needed (grin), it also has an LED flashlight and a cigarette lighter plug connected to its rechargeable battery.   This goes in my tent or other sleeping area to both give me light when needed and to recharge my cell phone overnight.

8.  Solar panels: Hey, all this tech needs juice!  I can keep any of several batteries charged for powering radios, lights, etc..

9.  Bluetooth headset: Although I really, really dislike wearing one while in uniform (I think it's pretty bad looking), sometimes when your hands are busy, it is handy.

10.  12vDC fan: In a tent, in a vehicle that you don't want to keep running with gas at $90/gal, or wherever, it helps this FLWG member keep cool.

11.  12vDC work light:  Handy for long term emergency lighting.

12.  MFJ antenna analyzer:  For checking SWR on antennas, finding the distance to cable faults, or seeing what frequency an antenna is resonant at, this is a very handy gizmo to have.

What are YOU using?

mikeylikey

What do I use......

Tablet, notebook paper variety.
Pen, Bic 100 black
Pencil, black warrior, #2
Post it notes
2 quarters for the payphone

Sometimes I carry around a small memo pad, but that is very rare.
What's up monkeys?

brasda91

I am getting ready to install the following:

* Laptop with DeLorme Street Maps and GPS receiver, installed in the van on a mobile mount.

* HP printer on a Jotto Desk

* Power inverter for the laptop and printer

In addition we have available:

* My personal Garmin Etrex Legend

* Squadrons Flightmate GPS and Garmin GPS
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 07, 2008, 05:06:52 PM
What do I use......

Tablet, notebook paper variety.
Pen, Bic 100 black
Pencil, black warrior, #2
Post it notes
2 quarters for the payphone

Sometimes I carry around a small memo pad, but that is very rare.

yuppers!

I LOVE tech, hell my job involves tech. However humping through the woods is the last place I want a TON of tech. Sure a cell phone and something like the Etrax is cool, and compact/rugged enough to use. I do have a laptop but that is for mission base work.

I want to be light, mobile, and not dependent on tech when in the woods.

JoeTomasone

This isn't (necessarily) about being in the woods, but what technology you bring to bear to make your CAP tasks easier/better/etc.   

I'm more looking for unique ways that you're using technology that might help/inspire another member.   Most of us have laptops; no need to post up that you use one too.   But if you have yours hooked into a C172 and can fly it from the ground, then let's hear it!  Are you using a tech item for a specific reason that others might not think of?  Post!

Duke Dillio

I recently updated my pens to Pilot G-2's.  Does that count?

I use the internet and stuff.  I don't have a cell phone.  The wireless laptop on my desk scares me....

Enough said?

mikeylikey

Quote from: sargrunt on May 08, 2008, 04:30:18 PM
The wireless laptop on my desk scares me....

Mine too.  I just don't understand how a machine can provide so much information without stealing a persons soul   >:D

^ Plus since 2000, sales of "adult oriented" material has steadily declined in bookstores and newstands.  That is a travesty!
What's up monkeys?

notaNCO forever

The most high tech thing I've ever used is a GPS. While I like technology I allways prefer something that you don't depend on bateries for.

floridacyclist

The flip side to that is that when we're working to save a life or on a joint exercise with other agencies, they aren't there to evaluate our map and compass skills. They want to give us a set of coordinates and us simply go to them, not waste a lot of time shooting bearings and doing pace counts. Yes, we should stay up on those skills for fun and an emergency backup - as a squadron, we do geocaches that way rather than hunting them down on the GPS; we should still not fail to use the most expedient method possible to save a life or perform a task when other eyes are on us.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Duke Dillio

^Hey Gene, that reminds me of a story...

The Army was pushing the use of GPS and stuff back about say 10 years ago.  Everyone was expected to master the GPS.  While GPS is a wonderful thing, you still have to know basic land navigation.  Well, people weren't taking the basic land nav seriously because, "We have a GPS.  Why do we need to know how to use a compass and a map."  I'm sure you know the attitude.

Then, the National Training Center purchased some GPS scramblers from somebody in Russia.  Guess what happened when they activated them during a training rotation there....

It all falls down to the basics.  Learn those first, then you can go play with the pricey toys.  The ground team personnel in my squadron have to prove that they have mastered the basics of land nav before we let them bring a GPS to a training exercise.

mikeylikey

^ With all the high tech stuff in the Army, I was still required a compass, pencil, and chart for all my Artillery Calculations.  When I was first starting out, I wished I had payed more attention to Algebra and geometry in High School and College.  Learning FA was by far the most difficult and time consuming thing I have ever had to do.  Then we got to the "computer" part and it just made it more difficult. 

What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Aren't TOT Barrages fun:)

Seriously, I'm like mikey, I have a compass a pen and a pencil. The most high tech thing i carry is my cell phone. (And it usually doesnt work in the woods)

I'm a single 23 year old with college debt. (And since I didnt finish college I don't make a whole lot)

Cant afford a mobile wifi hotspot or a gps or any other crap.

Heck my tent is a few surplus ponchos.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Duke Dillio

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 11, 2008, 04:15:13 PM
^ With all the high tech stuff in the Army, I was still required a compass, pencil, and chart for all my Artillery Calculations.  When I was first starting out, I wished I had payed more attention to Algebra and geometry in High School and College.  Learning FA was by far the most difficult and time consuming thing I have ever had to do.  Then we got to the "computer" part and it just made it more difficult. 

Didn't realize you were an old Arty officer there Mike.  I only got to play in the FDC like once and they tried to show us all of that stuff in the span of about an hour or so.  I do remember that the FDC guys didn't like it when the infantry guys always sent them polar plot missions.  IIRC the infantry guys liked doing that a lot.  Don't know why they didn't just go with grids.  Course, when they call in a FFE on their own position....

Back to topic.

I've never been a real big fan of technology.  I was rather disappointed when L-tronics quit making the old L-PER and started only selling the new one.  I've got more experience with the new one now, but I don't like the fact that if it doesn't work I can't just drop it to get it to work.  It's too "fragile."  (Is that Italian?)

I spend too much time in the dirt to have all these crazy toys and they just get wet and dirty anyways.  I would like to get a better nav unit for my POV.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Garmin StreetPilot?  TomTom?

isuhawkeye

technology.

as you all know I have been playing with the spot. 

I think it, or other APRS tools have excellent SAR applications

jimmydeanno

Quote from: sargrunt on May 12, 2008, 03:59:38 PM
I would like to get a better nav unit for my POV.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Garmin StreetPilot?  TomTom?

I have a magellan maestro 4250 and love it.  The interface is really intuitive and the features work flawlessly.  It has a 4.3 inch display, voice command, bluetooth capabilities, 6 million points of interest, etc.  This feature is particularly handy because you can search for different businesses/restaurants, etc.  Say you want to go to Chili's, you just tell it to search for chili's near your current location and it will give you a list of them.  Pick which one you want - it also has the phone number (if you want to do call ahead) and using your blue tooth you can call them, get your name on the waiting list, while it routes you there.  Wicked handy.

If you don't want to drop the $500.00 for it they have the same model, minus the blue tooth and the voice command feature for about $350.00.  You can compromise and get a smaller screen with the fancy features too.

I used a bunch of them at Circuit City and I liked the magellan interface the best.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=408

YMMV.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

I have no problem with technology as long as you have the good old fashioned stuff and know how to use it. Batteries don't last forever.

KyCAP

I have a list of the technology that I use as IC in this thread..

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2412.0;all

SARGRUNT Take a look at the thread and Delorme's PN-20 for a New GPS for field work.   However, for "day to day" use there are better suited devices that have more "recreational" features.

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Duke Dillio

^ I only wish I could afford the nice truck like that.....