Main Menu

UDF Bag

Started by Jerry Jacobs, April 29, 2008, 08:00:51 AM

Jerry Jacobs

Hey all,

I'm trying to my squadron to start ES and they seem to be interested so we figured we would start with UDF.  I have a UDF bag that is pretty basic that is a NESA carry on bag (or what ever its called).  I was curious as to what other people use and approximately it costs.

Thanks,

C/SMSgt Jerry Jacobs

isuhawkeye

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. 

could you clarify?

BigMojo

I think you're asking about a personal gear carrying system, correct?

I use what has been affectionately called a "murse" here on CAPTalk. In reality its the maxpedidition

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=31
It's a messenger bag style that goes over your left shoulder and hangs on your right side. Pair this with a camelbak of your choosing. I can fit [darn] near all my 24hr gear in it, and by adding a couple pouches to it, I could easily carry everything. For UDF the most important stuff is a Leatherman, a Good Flashlight, Compass/Map/GPS (I don't want to get into that argument...but land nav without electronics is important), and a reflective vest. I add my trusty Vertex V150 (until I can't carry it any longer) and I'm good to go. I also suggest a small clipboard (Like a police officer's one that has form storage) the one I have fits a folded regular sheet of paper, and is good for storing ICS Log forms, and other paperwork.

I have my own DF gear that I swear by. I use the MK4 Sniffer from Australia with a 3 element YAGI antenna. I have a mag-mount scanner antenna on the truck to hook it up to when driving neighborhoods. My YAGI and DF'r fit into a travel Fly Rod case perfectly.

Of course, you need to use a system that works best for you. We get a lot of UDF missions here in S. Florida, so I wanted to go with compact, and easily portable depending on the vehicle we are using. It works well for me, and since it lives in my truck, doesn't take up a lot of room.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Eclipse

I use the same vest(s) / gear for UDF or GT, just might trim out some toys before I get out of the car.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

I use a S.T.R.I.K.E. Bandoleer for my UDF gear.  It is modular, so I can attach whatever pouches I like and can be worn in the vehicle if I am doing a lot of in and out.  I've got my GT gear in a web gear setup for times when away from the vehicle.  The good thing about the bandoleer is that I can throw it on over the web gear if I want, so I don't have to transfer items back and forth.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Shotgun

Quote from: BigMojo on April 29, 2008, 12:26:15 PM

I use what has been affectionately called a "murse" here on CAPTalk. In reality its the maxpedidition

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=31
It's a messenger bag style that goes over your left shoulder and hangs on your right side. Pair this with a camelbak of your choosing. I can fit [darn] near all my 24hr gear in it, and by adding a couple pouches to it, I could easily carry everything. For UDF the most important stuff is a Leatherman, a Good Flashlight, Compass/Map/GPS (I don't want to get into that argument...but land nav without electronics is important), and a reflective vest.

MURSE!  I gotta remember that!

I've used the Maxpedition bag for geocaching. I tried using it on a GT training campout with the cadets and it worked pretty well. My only comment is pretty superficial - while it works well, it really doesn't "go well" with BDU's.  Of course for UDF missions it would probably be OK.

notaNCO forever

I just combine my GT and UDF gear since the equipment in each can be usefull in UDF missions or GT missions.

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on April 29, 2008, 06:20:03 PM
I use a S.T.R.I.K.E. Bandoleer for my UDF gear.  It is modular, so I can attach whatever pouches I like and can be worn in the vehicle if I am doing a lot of in and out.  I've got my GT gear in a web gear setup for times when away from the vehicle.  The good thing about the bandoleer is that I can throw it on over the web gear if I want, so I don't have to transfer items back and forth.

I'd been thinking aobut one of those. Nice to hear they're handy.

notaNCO forever

I'd go with a vest with a large amount of easy reach storeage in front and a spot for a camel back in the back. Also for UDF if you have web gear I recamend a leg pouch, it's easier to sit in a seat with.

Jerry Jacobs

I  was looking for a map case that would double as a UDF bag. 

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret