Main Menu

Crash training aid

Started by jeders, April 20, 2008, 04:03:41 AM

jeders

Not too long ago I was training with another squadron, and they used parts of an old crashed airplane as a training aid for aircrews. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this using parts of an actual crashed plane. If so, how/where was it acquired?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

smj58501

We got ours from an FBO. One of our members just asked and they were happy to give them over.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

jb512

We are in the process of stealing someone else's idea and constructing our aids out of PVC pipe and canvas.  That way they're light weight and we can transport them out in the woods to set them up.  When they're unrolled and put together they'll be in the shape of plane parts from different angles.

isuhawkeye

Iowa has one.  It is a Piper cherokee fuselage with wings fabricated out of garage doors, and a wooden frame.  The entire thing folds up onto a boat trailer

♠SARKID♠

All our squadron has is a chunk of wing tip.  Hardly a crash aid.

DNall

We have a bunch of random parts we use for this purpose. A few A&P shops are usually good source. Another one that goes very much untapped is DRMO actually. You can get all kinds of used aircraft parts. Some are useful for AE & some for this kind of ES target.

Duke Dillio

I know that there are supposedly boneyards all over the place where they have all kinds of wrecked things.  In another wing, they used balsa wood and aluminum foil to create some sort of wreckage.  Don't know how long that would last the test of time and what not but not a bad idea IMO.

I will add this little tidbit.  I was searching the web and found this website if anyone is interested in easy moulage recipes:

http://www.cert-la.com/education/moulage.htm

Enjoy!!!

RiverAux

Cut up some old bedsheets and use tent stakes to put them into the shape of an airplane (or bits of an airplane).  Very portable and easy to set up.