Interim Change Letter for 39-1

Started by mikeylikey, April 02, 2008, 06:32:52 PM

mikeylikey

^ No Colgan, you can not wear the ladies polo shirt!   >:D
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Pretty soon I won't have the option to wear a standard BDU hat anymore.  In the ANG I wear a beret, at work I wear a baseball cap if directing traffic or blue boonie out on the patrol boat. CAP is the only place I wear a BDU cap. 
Serving since 1987.

Quote from: Grumpy on April 02, 2008, 10:52:52 PM
Quote from: cnitas on April 02, 2008, 08:04:20 PM
I guess berets are still awaiting AF approval.   >:D

Heck, I didn't like them when I was in Security Forces.  If I wanted to wear one I'd been born a Frenchman

Now, now.  You don't want to be a Frenchman,  all they do is surrender.  LOL

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Pylon

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 03, 2008, 01:11:46 PM

>:(
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Pylon on April 03, 2008, 01:27:58 PM

>:(

Hey, man, they're YOUR forebearers...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The one good thing that the French have given the world is French Onion Soup.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mikeylikey

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 03, 2008, 03:58:08 PM
The one good thing that the French have given the world is French Onion Soup.

French Onion Soup.......Invented by Campbells Soup in 1896.  Weird, right?

The French also assisted with that whole "American Independence issue", so props to them for that.
What's up monkeys?

flyerthom

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 02, 2008, 10:06:09 PM
Quote from: capchiro on April 02, 2008, 06:41:58 PM
Some guys in this and some guys in that and some gals in these, sure it's uniform, isn't it???  Isn't that what uniformity is all about??

DRESS UNIFORMS

Golf shirt and gray slacks

FLIGHT DUTY

UTILITY UNIFORMS

MESS DRESS

Golf shirt and gray slacks, probably

What was that about uniformity? And am I missing anything?

Plenty of uniformity there   >:D
TC

flyerthom

Heck, I didn't like them when I was in Security Forces.  If I wanted to wear one I'd been born a Frenchman

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/35a796d8/39dace0a
TC

cnitas

Quote from: flyerthom on April 03, 2008, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 02, 2008, 10:06:09 PM
Quote from: capchiro on April 02, 2008, 06:41:58 PM
Some guys in this and some guys in that and some gals in these, sure it's uniform, isn't it???  Isn't that what uniformity is all about??

DRESS UNIFORMS

FLIGHT DUTY

UTILITY UNIFORMS

MESS DRESS

Golf shirt and gray slacks, probably

What was that about uniformity? And am I missing anything?

Plenty of uniformity there   >:D

Careful...I posted something similar a while back, and I am only now recovering.  :D
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DKruse

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on April 03, 2008, 02:42:07 AM
OK so the boonie hat has the shotgun shell holder thingymajigger how are you supposed to sew your grade insignia 1/2'' above the visor? I don't actully plan on wearing one, just pointing out the lack of forethought.

If the same insignia rules as the BBDU cap apply, I believe you can pin metal grade insignia on it.
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

mikeylikey

^ That would be my guess as well. 
What's up monkeys?

Tubacap

^ guessing... grenades.... uniforms.... hmmm, do they go together???
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

billford1

Who would have guessed it. Unlike like the Germans the French have deployed troops for combat duty in Southern Afghanistan.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: arajca on April 02, 2008, 10:34:35 PM
Under "FLIGHT DUTY", the CAP  orange flight is not authorized. THe CAP Utility Uniform (dark blue cotton/poly flightsuit) is.

Under "UTILITY UNIFORMS", you forgot the CAP utility uniform.

Under "MESS DRESS", golf shirt is not authorized. Blazer w/ black bow tie and one mini-medal (optional), and w/o nameplate is authorized.

Are you considering the blazer uniform to be the CAP corporate uniform under "DRESS UNIFORMS"?
Seems to me an orange flight suit was available for a while. If it's been phased out, great. I stand corrected. And for others I've forgotten, sorry. It's DIZZYING, all the changes, so fast.

And I was joking about the golf shirt, though they seem ubiquitous. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on CAP people at formal functions. Really.

The point is, there are so many options, and commanders don't have the guts to dictate a uniform of the day, that you can't count on uniformity -- which undermines the entire purpose of having uniforms. Either we dumb down our uniforms to the golf shirt or we elevate and professionalize.

If anyone's talking about "two Civil Air Patrols," it's not the aviators vs. the rest. It's the identity crisis between those who identify with the mothership (the Air Force) and those who are a lot more casual. You join the Air Force Auxiliary, you should be expected to wear at least a semiprofessional uniform, not the equivalent of blue jeans.

Am I wrong?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Cecil DP

There are several reasons not to approve the beret.

1. They're too expensive
2. They offer no protection from the elements
3. No sun protection either
4. No one wears them uniformly.
5. The only practical use is of you've run of TP or or other hygene products and then you have to throw it away.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JayT

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 06, 2008, 03:56:18 AM
Quote from: arajca on April 02, 2008, 10:34:35 PM
Under "FLIGHT DUTY", the CAP  orange flight is not authorized. THe CAP Utility Uniform (dark blue cotton/poly flightsuit) is.

Under "UTILITY UNIFORMS", you forgot the CAP utility uniform.

Under "MESS DRESS", golf shirt is not authorized. Blazer w/ black bow tie and one mini-medal (optional), and w/o nameplate is authorized.

Are you considering the blazer uniform to be the CAP corporate uniform under "DRESS UNIFORMS"?
Seems to me an orange flight suit was available for a while. If it's been phased out, great. I stand corrected. And for others I've forgotten, sorry. It's DIZZYING, all the changes, so fast.

And I was joking about the golf shirt, though they seem ubiquitous. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on CAP people at formal functions. Really.

The point is, there are so many options, and commanders don't have the guts to dictate a uniform of the day, that you can't count on uniformity -- which undermines the entire purpose of having uniforms. Either we dumb down our uniforms to the golf shirt or we elevate and professionalize.

If anyone's talking about "two Civil Air Patrols," it's not the aviators vs. the rest. It's the identity crisis between those who identify with the mothership (the Air Force) and those who are a lot more casual. You join the Air Force Auxiliary, you should be expected to wear at least a semiprofessional uniform, not the equivalent of blue jeans.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you are sir.

I don't normally wear the Air Force style uniforms for a lot of reasons. But that doesn't mean that the creases on my shirt and DFU's aren't just as sharp. I'm definately proud to be part of the US Air Force, even in a small way, but I'm also equally proud to be part of the Civil Air Patrol, and wear those uniforms.

Just because I don't look Air Force doesn't mean I'm 'casual.'

Furthermore, I think that the polo shirt and blazer uniforms do have their useful moments.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SARMedTech

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 06, 2008, 04:06:28 AM

There are several reasons not to approve the beret.

1. They're too expensive
2. They offer no protection from the elements
3. No sun protection either
4. No one wears them uniformly.
5. The only practical use is of you've run of TP or or other hygene products and then you have to throw it away.

I agree with most of what you say, but given that most of the heat lost from the body to the elements goes through the head, i would say a beret has some use in that regard. And if no one wearing them uniformly is a reason for not wearing them at all, we may as well scrap most uniform items. Heck, we have trouble getting folks to wear BDU covers squarely on their heads as regs provide. Also, as far as expense, that can be said for just about anything necessary for a CAP ground team member. Just outfitting yourself with the basics can cost a mint. Hmm...at least I thought I agreed with most of what you said.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: billford1 on April 05, 2008, 02:57:01 AM

Who would have guessed it. Unlike like the Germans the French have deployed troops for combat duty in Southern Afghanistan.

The French have been most successful at fighting elusive enemies.  Since they cannot find the Taliban fighters, they have no one whom they can surrender to.

And the American Revolution, or more properly the Battle of Yorktown during the Revolution, was the first in a series of French victories that resulted from participating in wars where Americans did most of the fighting.

But, to bring this back to the topic, berets are for elite troops.  Second-line CAP troops wearing berets is silly.  Its OK for the cadets, but adults just look pretentious.

The Army guys I know still hate Bill Clinton for sticking berets (Chinese-made ones, at that) on their heads.  This is especially true when the Marines started calling them "Monica Lewinski Hats."
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Boonie hats would be good for the field, for ground teams, and for the flight line.  I would LIKE to see the bush hat restricted to actual ES operators who need sun protection, (and NOT headquarters pukes like me who only see the sun while going to and from chow).  If you ain't workin' you ain't wearin'!
Another former CAP officer