Clusters on Achievement Ribbons?

Started by SSgt Rudin, March 30, 2008, 08:30:58 PM

SSgt Rudin

I was cleaning out our supply closed and I found a bag of old goodies, about 5 pairs of small C/FO pips, and old cadet flight cap patch and a Lindbergh Ribbon with three bronze oak leaf clusters on it. Did this mean something BITD or is this just the product of a cadet trying to make his rack look more impressive?
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Sounds like the latter... no devices are worn on cadet achievement ribbons or milestone awards except under the following conditions:

Silver star on Goddard achievement ribbon: completion of all three levels of the CAP model rocketry program.

Silver star on Mitchell award ribbon: graduate of Cadet Officer School. Silver star transfers to the highest milestone award earned when a cadet succumbs to the 'dark side'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ßτε

If the pips are from the time of the flight cap patch, they would be C/WO pips.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: bte on March 30, 2008, 09:59:14 PM

True, the term cadet flight officer originates around the time the senior member flight officer grades were introduced in the early to mid-1980s. Previous to that, it was cadet warrant officer. The AF retired its last warrant officer in 1980, if I remember correctly. CAP got rid of the WO/CWO grades shortly afterward.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 30, 2008, 11:06:01 PM
Quote from: bte on March 30, 2008, 09:59:14 PM

True, the term cadet flight officer originates around the time the senior member flight officer grades were introduced in the early to mid-1980s. Previous to that, it was cadet warrant officer. The AF retired its last warrant officer in 1980, if I remember correctly. CAP got rid of the WO/CWO grades shortly afterward.

Oh man.....I was a C/FO.....and in those days you still were not considered a Cadet Officer, until you got 2nd Lt.  I am so glad they got rid of that from the program.
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 30, 2008, 11:06:01 PM
The AF retired its last warrant officer in 1980, if I remember correctly.

The last retiring active duty warrant was in 1980. The last warrant officer that the Air Force ever had retired in 1992. He was a Reservist, for some reason they never count him.

Senior

Hey  :o 2nd Lt Rudin.  Are those pips the small gold pips worn by cadet
officers on their blue epaulets?  I would be interested in buying a set.
I would buy a set even if they were the full size also.  I gave my insignia
to the junior cadet officers as I moved up.  I don't have any of my old rank
except my 3 diamonds.  Thanks.

Pylon

Quote from: Senior on March 31, 2008, 01:49:04 AM

Yeah, off topic too...   I have a set of the large size C/FO pips, but I'd be willing to make a contribution to somebody's squadron for a set of the miniature ones for a future shadowbox project.  I surmise they'd be the only ones I'd have difficulty getting.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2008, 01:52:42 AM

Yeah, off topic too...   I have a set of the large size C/FO pips, but I'd be willing to make a contribution to somebody's squadron for a set of the miniature ones for a future shadowbox project.  I surmise they'd be the only ones I'd have difficulty getting.

well you could always take a pair of silver pips and get them plated.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Ned

Back then, there was only one size of cadet insignia -- what we now call "large" or regular size.

(C/Captains and colonels had extreme difficulty wearing their insignia on jackets and raincoats -- which is why the miniature insignia was developed.)

At the point when I was a C/WO we had not yet gone to the blue epaulet sleeves.  Cadet officers wore their grade on either their collars or shoulder boards, depending on the uniform. 

Ned Lee
Aged Former Cadet

arajca

I had the distinct privilege of being both a C/WO and a C/FO. I also had the pleasure of wearing the hard shoulder boards on the light blue shirt w/o epaulets.

SarDragon

For you olde guys (and gals if there are any here), was there ever a time when C/WO or C/FO wore the shoulder boards? I know when C/WO first came out (1968), we couldn't.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

IIRC, there was a short time in the late 1970's or early 1980's where the shoulderboards were on the blue shirt fo C/WO. It has been a while, but I remember wearing mine on the collar, then on shoulderboards, and then on the blue epaulet sleeve.

arajca

rdmcii

For the record, there was a time before the Eaker when a star was worn on the Earhart to signify Ach 15

baronet68

Quote from: rdmcii on April 11, 2008, 09:00:45 PM
For the record, there was a time before the Eaker when a star was worn on the Earhart to signify Ach 15

I believe it was a silver clasp on the Earhart for Achievement 15.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager