Help. Looking for GPS thread.

Started by Senior, March 28, 2008, 04:35:50 AM

Senior

I've already tried the search option.  I think this board had a thread or a
link to a good handheld GPS unit for GT for about 100.00 dollars.  Can anyone help me?
:o ???

_

I don't know about the thread but I use a garmin etrex that I got for around $100.  It works pretty well but doesn't have a lot of extras (no maps, non color screen, etc).  I mainly use it for getting my current coordinates.  Looking at the REI page for it, it looks like they upgraded the receiver recently as well.

Garmin eTrex

Frenchie

If all you need is longitude/latitude coordinates, get the cheapest GPS you can find.  Both Garmin and Lowrance have a model for less than $100.  Magellan may as well, but I'm not familiar with their GPS units.

For a little bit more money, what I think it the best bang for the buck is the Lowrance iFinder H20 (B&W model).
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/iFINDER-H2O/

The bargain basement GPS units have screens that are hard to read in bright or low light and have poor resolution.  They also generally don't have much, if anything, in the way of internal maps and they don't have expandable memory so you can load new maps.

The iFinder H20 has a screen that can be easily read in all lighting conditions, it has excellent resolution, a decent sized screen, you can expand the memory, and you can download maps to the GPS.

IceNine

I have an e-trex legend by Garmin.

I've put the thing through its paces and it keeps on ticking.  I've dropped it from the top of a 200 ft Leg on a Grain Elevator, in the Illinois River (twice) and out of a moving car.  Picked it up, dried it off and stuffed it back in my pocket.

By now I'm sure you can get a E-trex color for around 100 maybe 125
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

drcomm

Quote from: IceNine on March 28, 2008, 11:31:42 PM
I have an e-trex legend by Garmin.

I've put the thing through its paces and it keeps on ticking.  I've dropped it from the top of a 200 ft Leg on a Grain Elevator, in the Illinois River (twice) and out of a moving car.  Picked it up, dried it off and stuffed it back in my pocket.

By now I'm sure you can get a E-trex color for around 100 maybe 125

I also have an Etrex Legend and really do like it.  I don't think you could beat it at the time for capabilities for the price.  Mine is used heavily for geocaching and has been great.  One of the newer GPS's with a larger display might be more handy as they have come down in price since the Legend was introduced.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

SSgt Rudin

Newest in cheep GPS technology.

Credit: xkcd
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

BigMojo

I have two...
One that lives in the car, and one that's on me.

In the Truck: TomTom One, 3rd Edition. Small, touchscreen, easy navigation. I can type in Lat/Lon in Deg, Min.1/10 Min. and it will navigate me there. Great for UDF'ing to get to the area, and for navigating foreign neighborhood looking for Joe Boater's Falsely Activated EPIRB.

On me, I carry a Garmin Geko. It's their smallest unit. No maps, just Lat/Lon and waypoints. Just the basics, which is all you really need in the swamp.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

KyCAP

I would direct anyone in this thread over to the GIS thread for some interesting information.

I have been working on a "big picture" project in KY Wing for over a year now as an IC looking information flow down to ground and air crews. 

Nationally we already seem to be standardized on paper using the Delorme products and their GPS product has some tremendous mapping and display advantages over their competitors (No, I am not a paid Delorme rep).    I've used and own several GPS units (Magellan, Garmin) and just purchased  a Delorme PN-20.   The "imagery" data that can be displayed on this thing is outstanding.

That coupled with a complete suite of commercial off the shelf products that are relatively low cost and easy to use makes this a no brainer in my book.  There's also a coupon on their site making the unit, 1 GB SD card and Topo USA 7.0 $299.

www.delorme.com
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing