What is your CAP given nickname?

Started by I_Am_Twigs, April 11, 2018, 04:41:11 PM

I_Am_Twigs

I personally have a few nicknames, so I guess I'll just go in the order that I got them.

First up it Twigs, I've had this one for about a year now. It came about because of my thin but lean build, not sure why I still have it because I'm a little more built now, but who cares, I like it! The Twigs works well with most ranks and positions as well like First Sgt Twigs or soon to be Lt Twigs (just L T not the full lieutenant) :o

"Cube", this Friday will make this one a year old. It began when I went to a neighboring squadron's event, we basically camp and babysit the Boy Scouts while they're doing their activities. Since it's a three day deal and we'd be camping and goofing off during the later hours, I decided that I'd take my Rubik's cubes (yes I know how to solve them) I was called many names for knowing how to solve them but cube was the most used.  8)

Here goes one of the ones I could do without. Pokey, Pokie, Pokee, there's to many ways I've seen it spelled. Anyway I got this one sometime last year. I was called this by one of my close friends because I was being slow (Pokey is short for slowpoke), I was supposed to tell her where we were meeting for a parade and I didn't actually see her message till an hour after she had sent it to me. And it ended up sticking at encampment when it was the only thing I would respond to when it came from a certain friend.  :P

Hulk, this one didn't stick for long because it was at encampment and because it was kinda contradictory towards my first nickname, Twigs. Anyway I got this one because I apparently looked "shredded" to the guys in my barracks, I also ended up lifting a guy twice my size up a wall. So I can see where it came from but it still doesn't fit.  :(

One of my recent ones that my commanders like to call me is "the insufferable know-it-all" I honestly like it. I'm considered a "walking 39-1" at my squadron, you have a uniform question I'm the go-to guy for it. I also point out and try to fix any uniform problems I see, I try to be polite about it! But I'm very picky with things.. It's probably from being a First Sgt for so long. ;D

Anyway, I'd love to hear all your guys' nicknames!
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

CAPed Crusader

I tend to call CAP "Civil Air''....... but that's just me.

Paul Creed III

Was given the nickname of "cranky" years ago by a couple of the lieutenants in my unit when I was a new squadron commander since my tolerance for shenanigans was (and still is) low. At the time, I was a captain so I was Captain Cranky and, of course, the nickname has been promoted as I was to major and lieutenant colonel. 

Also earned "Major Detour" when I missed the off-ramp while driving a van load of cadets back from an AE trip. Yes, I was a major at the time.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

kcebnaes

Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 11, 2018, 07:02:23 PM
Was given the nickname of "cranky" years ago by a couple of the lieutenants in my unit when I was a new squadron commander since my tolerance for shenanigans was (and still is) low. At the time, I was a captain so I was Captain Cranky and, of course, the nickname has been promoted as I was to major and lieutenant colonel. 

Also earned "Major Detour" when I missed the off-ramp while driving a van load of cadets back from an AE trip. Yes, I was a major at the time.

I also identify with the "cranky" one though..I'm frankly surprised no one on Wing, or my own staff has said that (to my face yet!)
Can I call you Lt Col Detour now? Asking for a friend..
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Paul Creed III

Quote from: kcebnaes on April 11, 2018, 07:50:10 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 11, 2018, 07:02:23 PM

I also identify with the "cranky" one though..I'm frankly surprised no one on Wing, or my own staff has said that (to my face yet!)
Can I call you Lt Col Detour now? Asking for a friend..

Negative Ghost Rider.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

Never had a CAP nickname other than "Sir" or "Lt Col".

"Spam" was hung on me without my approval at USNTPS, when a Marine pilot observed me (6'4", probably 230 lbs then) in an AH-1S gunners seat performing an evaluation with clamshell armor, helmet and full PPE (mask and all), and said "Jeez, you're stuffed in there like Spam in a can - meat wall to wall"... laughter... yadda yadda. They later told me that "Spam in a can" was the original Mercury 7 astronauts nickname, and that I should shut up and honor it... so I've tried to do so.

You don't get to pick stupid nicknames in DoD. THey are hung on you due to personal characteristics or stupid events (I worked with a Viper driver who ingested a bird and put his fighter into the 17th hole of the golf course at Luke... becoming "Divot" for all time... another officer on F-22 who had Mexican one morning and leaned over during a later meeting, earning the soubriquet, "Cheese" for his flatulence, etc.).

Beyond that, I've observed that CAP, in nicknames as with uniforms, sometimes tries too hard with the fanboy elements like this. CT is probably the only remaining place that I use my nickname (a few people in my career still call me that). My opinion is that we should downplay this element frankly. There is nothing more pathetic than an insecure someone vainly trying to convince his squadron mates to call him "Cougar" or "Maverick" or "Wolf" or some crap... only to have them disparagingly call him "D bag" or "Weasel" behind his back (not kidding, I've heard that of guys from Wright Pat trying to be cool with the ACC guys).

So... be warned... be careful... don't self-nominate.

V/r
"Spam"

PS, I think the only CAP nickname I've ever bestowed in 35+ years in CAP, was a FLWG cadet from Vero Beach who volunteered to carry a line across a canal for the team to rappel across, on an actual missing aircraft search in West Palm Beach in 1991. He fell in, and we called him "Aquaman" for the next 2 years. Awesome guy.

TheSkyHornet

Nothing official on my end yet. I got lucky with avoiding anything long-standing. I was dubbed "Splits" for a brief period when I hand a pants-related...um, fabric discrepancy...in the middle of first aid training when I crouched down. Yeah, that was a shining moment as a junior officer. Every Spring, I get slapped with a shamrock (Irish). Every Winter, I'm called an Angry Elf.

I was "Fester" at OCS for an obvious physical comparison to Jackie Coogan's finest work. I'll still get called that from time to time in all aspects of life.

We only have one official call sign in our unit, and that's "Jerry." I couldn't remember his name when he joined, and he has a very distinctive Seinfeld look about him. It just stuck over time, and now we have a tougher time introducing him as his actual name.

As Spam said, you don't pick your nickname. It's bestowed upon you, usually out of bad luck or dirty military humor (often which the stories can't/shouldn't be told in public).

HandsomeWalt_USMC

As has been noted, nicknames/callsigns are never self-imposed! Sometimes they're assigned off the cuff (like Spam's story above and my current name explained below), other times they are given in an informal "naming ceremony", often held monthly or at certain intervals by flying units.

My name, Handsome, came from an event I attended when I was on active duty. We were told Semi-formal civilian attire. I take great pride in my appearance and happen to enjoy wearing suits and the like. I took the opportunity to wear what was at the time my best three piece. My fellow aircrew were razzing me for being the only enlisted Marine present wearing a full suit and tie. The Squadron Commander and his wife were making the rounds, and his wife happened to overhear them and interjected "I think he looks very handsome!" The CO then said "Yes he does! In fact that's your name now, Handsome!"

I got lucky. Most names aren't so flattering. Until then I was "Leprechaun" because I'm short and freckled and looked like a leprechaun in Service Alphas when I was checking in.

We had some free time at a recent meeting and held a naming ceremony for our cadets. Names were suggested and voted on; I monitored the proceedings to keep things appropriate. My favorites from the night were "Decaf" for an excitable young cadet who definitely should have had decaf for his coffee after dinner at conference, "Banshee" for a cadet who is always quiet but has a very high pitched near-shriek when sounding off, and "Hermione" for our female resident footwork cadet.

When used in appropriate settings, nicknames/callsigns can be a huge morale booster. We use them on the "Greenie Board" in the squadron that we track the points for Cadet of the Quarter, and they're permitted to use them in CAP social contexts such as free time at conference and other activities.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

NC Hokie

None for me that I know of, but three cadets have earned call signs from their fellow cadets during my time in CAP:

Lucky for one cadet that was definitely unlucky when it came to injuries at CAP activities (cut toes, a broken wrist, attending SUPTFC with what turned out to be a pre-op torn meniscus).  That cadet happened to be my daughter, so it's a wonder that my wife let our son join CAP two years ago!

Rex (wrecks) for a cadet that augured a R/C plane into a parking lot when the club member on the buddy box got confused and followed another plane instead of the one he was responsible for.  The club was gracious about the loss and gave him the empennage of the plane as a souvenir.  The rest of the plane was in splinters.

Fall Out Boy for a cadet who locked his knees during a uniform inspection.  He was caught before he hit the ground, so the only injury was to his pride.

Also, cadets with the same last name (related or not) tend to have numbers appended to their last names by the other cadets - Jones 1, Jones 2, etc.  Numbers are given in the order that the cadets join the squadron and follow them throughout their tenure.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: NC Hokie on April 12, 2018, 04:09:34 PMAlso, cadets with the same last name (related or not) tend to have numbers appended to their last names by the other cadets - Jones 1, Jones 2, etc.  Numbers are given in the order that the cadets join the squadron and follow them throughout their tenure.

We've always done their last name then their first initial, Might actually start calling my brother "twosies" since he joined just a couple months ago, and since he's the second from my family to join. I originally called him "shorty" since that's what I've always called him but it was apparently "hazing".
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

TarRiverRat

I have had several over the years.

Lt. Smooth by my flight instructor back in 1997.  My landings were very smooth and I was always primping for any young lady that might be around.  Always had my comb out.  The Lt part was due to the fact that I was a Lt. in CAP.

Later I was given Cowboy and Reb as a call sign.  Always wearing boots and cowboy hat.  I am not the city slicker cowboy, but actually worked cows when I was younger.  The Reb came from me being a Confederate Reenactor.

During my early days of doing WWII Air Corps living history, they called me Tracer out of respect for my father.  My father was called Bullet while he was with the 13th Air Force.

Now it is Thumper.  Have always been a big Disney fan and had a pet rabbit that looked just like him.  I always kept a little stuffed Thumper around so it kind of stuck.  I actually like it.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Slim

Look up and to the left.

When I was a fairly new cadet, and attending a two-week long SAR training event, it was apparently decided that I bore a very similar resemblance to some nuculer bomb riding, delicious, nutritious, caramel coated pomperjack eating actor with the same name.

That was 35 years ago this summer.

Slim

NIN

Quote from: Slim on April 15, 2018, 05:25:13 AM
Look up and to the left.

When I was a fairly new cadet, and attending a two-week long SAR training event, it was apparently decided that I bore a very similar resemblance to some nuculer bomb riding, delicious, nutritious, caramel coated pomperjack eating actor with the same name.

(At that same event) NIN: "Hey, Slim. Where's your horse?"

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Slim

Quote from: NIN on April 15, 2018, 11:46:12 AM
Quote from: Slim on April 15, 2018, 05:25:13 AM
Look up and to the left.

(At that same event) NIN: "Hey, Slim. Where's your horse?"

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Flint

Slim

Starbird

Walrus.  It has nothing to do with my size lol,  I'm normal sized.  Only people from my squadron will know why I'm called that....

uncrisppotato

I've had several throughout the years but some of the main ones that stand out are : Eggroll, Uncle Sergeant, Reversal, Jolly, and most recently Lost and Hungry. Good times.

Picy3

So far I have had three that stuck the most, the first being "snowball".

While yeah an obvious weird one for a guy, it was because I was at an ES training event and there was lots of snow. I being at the time "out of it" (we barely get any snow where I live, and it was 8 inches!) grabbed some snow and made ONE snowball. I, about to throw it away (twards no one, just open snow) got pushed and it got flung into a nearby window.

Needless to say I was swarmed by senior members and got the "no horsing around or else" speech. Apparently it came insanely close to breaking the window (it was very slightly cracked! like how even, this was a snowball I legit did not press at all it was more of a "handful of snow"!). (yeah I'm still confused about it), anyways thats how I got the name and I learned my lesson.

The next one is honestly my favorite. "Stickman Joe". Not hard to explain, I'm a very thin person and a group of cadets somehow thought my name was "Joe". Naturally it came to be, but I still don't know who told them my name was Joe... (which it is not)

And lastly my encampment one. So our flight was joking around on our way to the military base we were touring, we starting making callsigns but somehow almost all of them had to do with food and we didn't even realize it until one of the staff asked us why were were all named off of foods. I personally got the name "Porker", but we also had "Salsa", "chips", "pretzel" and "beef".

So yeah I guess thats the ones I have recieved so far.

Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

FW

Quote from: Spam on April 12, 2018, 05:35:44 AM

Never had a CAP nickname other than "Sir" or "Lt Col".

V/r
"Spam"

I can relate.  CAP members have only called me "Col" or "Sir"  for the last 20 years now... Have no idea why ;D

Luis R. Ramos

Same here.

Nicknames have been at times, and continue changing depending on person I am or is addressing me:

Sir
Major
Captain
First Lt
Second Lt
Mister

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer