Ranger tabs on ABU Uniform

Started by Paper Machete, February 23, 2018, 07:01:05 AM

Paper Machete

Updated 39-1 confused me on what is allowed vs. what isn't able to be worn on the left pocket. Can I put my ranger tab on my ABU uniform or not?

Fester

According to https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/CAP_Transition_to_ABUs_0138683E8BE29.pdf Ranger tabs are not permitted on the ABU.

Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches, Honor Guard Shield (attachment 8-4) and Ranger tabs, may be sewn
to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and
pocket of ABU shirt.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CAPLTC

When we say Ranger Tabs do we mean Army Ranger Tabs or HMRS tabs?
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

NIN

HMRS tabs.  "Army" Ranger tabs are not authorized on the AF uniform except in very limited circumstances, none of which are applicable to CAP's wear of the AF uniform.

Plus, the reference is for the "left pocket" and you'd never wear an Army Ranger tab on a pocket anyway (yes, yes, I know.. ASU..)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

darkmatter

Quote from: NIN on February 23, 2018, 01:49:22 PM
HMRS tabs.  "Army" Ranger tabs are not authorized on the AF uniform except in very limited circumstances, none of which are applicable to CAP's wear of the AF uniform.

See, I thought the real ranger tab was allowed A the Air Force allows it and B it's military thought the sapper ranger and SF or presides 100 were authorized.

NIN

Quote from: darkmatter on February 23, 2018, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 23, 2018, 01:49:22 PM

See, I thought the real ranger tab was allowed A the Air Force allows it and B it's military thought the sapper ranger and SF or presides 100 were authorized.

I know it *used* to be that you had be a) qualified and b) assigned to a unit (ie. a CCT/TACP/JTAC with the Rangers) to wear it.

the current AFI seems to indicate that if you're Ranger-qualified, you can wear it on the AF uniform. (Along with Sapper, SF & Airborne, but I think the AF misses the distinction that the Airborne tab is part of the unit patch (ie. 82nd, 18th Airborne Corps, 101st, etc) not a separate standalone tab that you can wear over any other patch)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RMW14

Here is the HMRS memo on the uniform items.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/67cca1_bec33f2744054aa6a83a8615a7e48547.pdf

If the link isn't working for some reason, the memo can also be found on the Hawk website, www.capranger.org  , under the Forms and Pubs in the Resources Tab.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

Sapper168

NIN, the AFI(2014 publication) now allows army tabs to be worn permanently on AF uniforms.  Actually just about all sister service skill badges and patches are allowed.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

NIN

Quote from: Sapper168 on February 23, 2018, 08:41:35 PM
NIN, the AFI(2014 publication) now allows army tabs to be worn permanently on AF uniforms.  Actually just about all sister service skill badges and patches are allowed.

Yeah, that was changed with the 2014 version. The AF used to be *really* restrictive about tabs and a lot of badges from other services. Now less so.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Sapper168 on February 23, 2018, 08:41:35 PM

Too bad AFI 36-2903 doesn't apply to CAP.

Jester

39-1 says badges authorized in 36-2903 are authorized on CAP uniforms.

hamburgee

For an exact quote -
Quote from: CAPM 39-110.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations
and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority
are present in the member's CAP personnel record.
Our halloween costume Airman Battle Uniform is a USAF-style uniform, set to replace the BDUs. It can be reasonably inferred that AFI 36-2903 does apply to CAP in this scenario - it's also referenced several times throughout CAPM 39-1 for guidance. :)

arajca

So, is the Army Ranger, Airborne, Sapper, etc tab a 'patch', 'badge' or something else?

To the OP - no.

Shuman 14

Quote from: arajca on February 24, 2018, 03:53:25 AM
So, is the Army Ranger, Airborne, Sapper, etc tab a 'patch', 'badge' or something else?

To the OP - no.

Actually they are both... a patch on the Field Uniform and a badge on the Dress/Service Uniform.

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present