Hawaii wasn't ready to handle a missile threat: [darn]ing report says strike respo

Started by OldGuy, February 21, 2018, 02:37:24 PM

OldGuy

Hawaii wasn't ready to handle a missile threat: [darn]ing report says strike response and recovery plans were 'minimally developed' and 'lacked coordination' when the false alert was sent out

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5414957/Hawaii-report-Missile-alert-drills-began-prematurely.html#ixzz57kmjYDo5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Live2Learn

I saw that too.  Perhaps the State was too quick to penalize the low level employee who pointed out they are sitting ducks (or ostriches with their heads in a dark, gritty place -- sand, in case you were wondering). 

sarmed1

I did some searching for the actual report. Its a the bottom of the article.

https://taskandpurpose.com/hawaii-missile-alert-preparedness-report/

Not just from a Missile attack perspective, but in a general emergency management all  hazards preparedness stand point, things look a little iffy in the event of a disaster.

Things I found interesting.

Over 90% of goods are imported. Mostly by sea and the ship time is around a week and pretty much  to only one port with no real back up option.

Really only one main/major airport.  3 days without service to do major repars

1 week or less of food.  No emergency ration stockpile

Inadequate shelters to support volume and none are equipped with emergency supplies.

Only about 200 open hospital bed space available at any given time (not at one hospital) with only 72 hours worth of supplies on hand

There was more, but those things really stood out.

I imagine the military would be the primary back up plan for food, water, medical and ports/airport.  Not counting the Nuke option, any disaster that hits sounds like it would make Puerto Rico look minor and that's just in that impact to 72 hours for FEMA to make their presence known.  The long term would be really interesting as well.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Live2Learn

So the 'between the lines' message is a major disaster of any large impact would turn the 50th state into a depopulated state.  Rapidly.

I knew there was a very good reason NOT to live on an overpopulated island.

Luis R. Ramos

Puerto Rico is an over-populated island and it survived a major disaster. It required a lot of help, yet the infrastructure is being rebuilt as of now.

Requires everyone working together as best as they can...

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Live2Learn

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 23, 2018, 01:09:24 AM

Puerto Rico is an over-populated island and it survived a major disaster. It required a lot of help, yet the infrastructure is being rebuilt as of now.

Requires everyone working together as best as they can...

If a hydrogen bomb hits Hawaii any comparison to PR is a bit off.  Let's hope (yes, "hope" has already been disproven to be a viable strategy) the happy fat guy is dissuaded from becoming the Serbia of WW3.  Even with massive infusions of cash, from what I read islands need to be a bit bigger to become viable habitations in the absence of a sophisticated an uninterrupted supply of essential commodities.  Back to "hope" yet again.

Live2Learn

Quote from: Cicero on February 23, 2018, 02:18:11 AM
See https://www.ktoo.org/2018/02/12/one-cargo-ship-delay-sends-ripples-alaskas-food-supply-chain/

Nice micro example of the fragility of what are really "outposts" of large human populations.  Imagine the problems 100 fold, with more than fresh strawberries and bananas at the core of unavailable supplies.  For a long time if a large, area wide, or nation wide event occurs.  The picture would be grim.  "No man is an island", and sustainable enclaves of very large human populations aren't either.