Are drill teams now a thing of the past?

Started by OldGuy, December 22, 2017, 03:01:25 AM

Eclipse

Random squadrons doing things in a hardkewl way doesn't demonstrate anything
other then perhaps the need for better supervision and Cadet Program Staff
who have actually read the curriculum.

That would be no different then linking to HMRS or PJOC in an ES discussion.  It's irrelevant
since they espouse things well off the national standard and curriculum.

The term "warrior" does not appear in 52-16 nor 60-1, and it only appears in 52-24
in the context of watching out for your buddy in all things.

CAP is a youth career exploration organization which has a paramilitary framework,
but which has increasingly stressed Aerospace education over military life through the last decade.

>If< there ever was a CAP as you remember it, that's long gone, in many cases because of the
reasons cited by me and others.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 24, 2017, 09:25:29 PM
Eclipse.  There is nothing wrong with a "warrior ethos" all things in moderation.  I can tell you when I was a cadet drill was a big part of the experience.  Now I can agree with you that it does not need to be all encompassing, but drill done right and nailed down works wonders.

I never participated in NCC but I did participate in drill comps all 3 years I was in JROTC and let me tell you they start practice early and go long.  My team would practice 2 hrs 2-3 times a week after school and the  we would hold a weekend practice overnight. 

The month of the event we wen 2-3 days early for more practice and fine tuning. We didn't have tailored uniforms but we went to win and win we did. 

Now maybe a revision was needed I can't say but the wonders that can be worked from a group who have things down in this case D&C will shock you.   

In the pro realm most companies have some sort of team building fundementals they practice, practice some more and finally practice more. 

All things in moderation.

Agreed. And if we lose that "warrior ethos", we lose a fundamental part of who we are, as part of the US Air Force Total Force and as a culture.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cicero on December 24, 2017, 09:52:41 PM
Agreed. And if we lose that "warrior ethos", we lose a fundamental part of who we are, as part of the US Air Force Total Force and as a culture.

The Cadet Program is not part of Total Force.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

If there was no more "warrior ethos" we would not have a POW-MIA cermony at our banquets.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/AFA_POWMIA_Ceremony_E4703BA13691F.pdf

Thankfully we are still proud of the people who serve and train to that ethos, at least in our unit.

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on December 24, 2017, 09:58:53 PM

Wrong.

https://www.military.com/military-report/civil-air-patrol-joins-total-force.html

abdsp51

Eclipse,

I can agree that squadrons doing things their own way and being tacikewl, and going overboard is a bad thing.  Drill teams are not a bad thing. Drill teams are not tactikewl.  Have units gone overboard I can't say for sure one way or the other haven't experienced that. 

I can say that honing drill which is meant to build teamwork and discipline at it' core is not a bad thing and works wonders.  Now no unit in CAP save maybe and that's a very strong maybe needs to have tailored custom fit uniforms for anything outside of maybe an honor/color guard.  NCC sure as heck doesn't.

Nobody is advocating teaching cadets how to low crawl in dark clothes, face paint and how to render a person incapacitated 50 which ways to Sunday,  there is so much more to the "Warrior Ethos" than maybe you realize.  Hence as I said all things in moderation. 

The 12 years I spent in Security Forces I spent alot of time handcuffing, searching, weapons retention, patrolling, etc. until it became second nature.  It was repetitive, went overboard at times and sure as heck sucked, but at the end of the day those skills became second nature.  And in those 12 years I can still count on one hand the number of people that I synced well with to go forth and do the mission.

From what I can gather it sounds like parents and members in CAP got overboard and overzealous with the activity.  Like I said I did drill team/color guard, and honor guard in ROTC and there was alot of practice, alot of repetition and at the end of the day everyone was better for it. 

If I had the time to spare and the fiscal means I wouldn't mind coaching a NCC team in D&C.  Good coaches, commanders and parents seems to be what was lacking in the previous iteration of NCC. 

Yes there is more to CP than just drill, but I can tell when you have a unit of cadets who have their drill down everything else would be so much easier. 

abdsp51

Quote from: Cicero on December 24, 2017, 10:04:01 PM

Wrong.

https://www.military.com/military-report/civil-air-patrol-joins-total-force.html

Hate to break it to you but "Total Force" is not what its cracked up to be and does not apply 24/7.  I have cautioned many members about throwing that flag out. 

OldGuy

Merry Christmas to all and thank you to everyone who volunteers!

Differences of opinion aside, I am proud to be part of the same organization y'all are. You make a difference.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cicero on December 24, 2017, 10:04:01 PM

Wrong.

If you're going to refer to or cite documents, at least cite official ones:
https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/CAP%20and%20the%20Total%20Force%20FAQs.pdf

This has been discussed on this board, but maybe bears repeating / revisiting - "Total Force"
applies only to CAP members when they are on an AFAM, therefore the vast majority of members
never are and never will be part of "Total Force".

I suppose you could argue a cadet on an O-ride is on an AFAM, but beyond that, no mission, no TF.

The CP, per se, is not included, nor is the generic term "Airman" appropriate for general use, despite
it's creeping into the ambiance just as "officer" did a few years back as a term for adult members.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Cicero on December 24, 2017, 10:17:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all and thank you to everyone who volunteers!

Differences of opinion aside, I am proud to be part of the same organization y'all are. You make a difference.

And the same to you, yours and everyone here!

http://www.dnkphotography.com/blog/family-and-baby-portraits/santa-and-his-elf-are-tired/

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

And on that note, we're done.

Happy Holidays. Go spend time with your families or watch football or something else besides jawing on here.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret