Main Menu

Just a Lifesaving Award?

Started by RiverAux, June 19, 2007, 10:55:39 PM

RiverAux

From CAP News Online
QuoteN.H. cadet draws on training, helps save accident victim's life en route to NE Region Search and Rescue Competition

Cadet Lt. Col. Eric Perron of the New Hampshire Wing's Hawk Composite Squadron with the U.S. Civil Air Patrol Lifesaving Award presented to him during the awards ceremony concluding the Northeast Region Search and Rescue Competition at Westover Air Reserve Base.
Capt. James A. Ridley Sr.
Public Affairs Officer
Search and Rescue Competition
Northeast Region

NEW HAMPSHIRE -- Most cadets attend Emergency Services training sessions and search and rescue events in order to hone their skills and better prepare themselves for an emergency that everyone hopes will never occur. 

For Lt. Col. Eric M. Perron of the New Hampshire Wing's Hawk Composite Squadron, a former student emergency medical technician with the Laconia Fire Department, being prepared for an emergency proved critical while he was en route to just such a training event.

Perron, 20, an honor graduate who just earned an associate's degree from New Hampshire Community Technical College, was just five minutes from home when his training came into play. He was headed for the Northeast Region Search and Rescue Competition being held at Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee, Mass.

Southbound on Route 106, he and two other Hawk Composite cadets en route to the same event witnessed an accident about 45 feet in front of them. They saw a motorcycle slip off the back of a trailer and collide with two other motorcycles traveling behind.

Exiting their vehicles, Perron handed his cell phone to Cadet Staff Sgt. Leanne Doucet, grabbed his personal trauma kit and gloves and ran to the two victims, a husband and wife from Quebec who spoke only French.

After examining the husband, he proceeded to treat the woman, whose leg appeared to be twisted after the motorcycle flipped her on the pavement and dragged her about 30 feet. When Perron cut off part of her blood-soaked pant leg he saw the leg was completely severed below the knee, so he immediately applied trauma dressings and constant pressure to the wound, which stopped the hemorrhage within a couple of minutes. 
While Doucet called 911, Cadet 2nd Lt. Marshall Nye assisted in crowd control and kept the lane clear for emergency vehicles from the Belmont police and fire departments, which arrived soon after. 
The woman was transported to Lakes Region General Hospital and later airlifted to an undisclosed hospital.

Her leg was too badly severed to be re-attached, but  Perron's quick action saved her life.

Cadet Staff Sgt. Leanne Doucet, Cadet Lt. Col. Eric Perron and Cadet 2nd Lt. Marshall Nye, all of the New Hampshire Wing's Hawk Composite Squadron.
After briefing the local police, Perron was examined by a doctor and cleansed of blood. He, Doucet and Nye then completed their journey and took part in the regional competition. 
"The timing couldn't have been better for the victim," Nye said. "If it were anyone else behind the motorcycles, she might not have survived."
Perron credited the support of Nye and Doucet for helping him save the woman's life.

"It was a team effort, it really was," he said.     
Perron plans on earning his Spaatz Achievement Award and continuing as a U.S. CAP Senior Member.  "I want to teach other cadets what I've learned and to always be prepared," he said. 
Northeast Region senior members were notified of Perron's actions and responded quickly by presenting him with the CAP Life Saving Award during the awards ceremony for the competition.

The Citizen of Laconia, N.H., published an account of the accident and the cadets' response.
Hopefully one of the more prestigious awards is in the works...

JohnKachenmeister

NO KIDDING!

There should be a valor award and I HOPE that the lifesaving award was an interim award.

If not, this cadet's commander deserves a boot leather enema!
Another former CAP officer

jimmydeanno

HAH! No Kidding...I love it when people I know show up in the news.  The last time I saw him though he was C/SrA Perron (I used to be his cadet commander). 

He is a really good cadet.  NHWG CAC Chairman, C/CC for his squadron and extremely dedicated to the program.  I'm gald that his quick response and training came to good use and he could save someone.

I didn't see a date, and the Citizen http://www.citizen.com doesn't appear to have a search feature.  But this was probably a result of motorcycle week held in Weirs Beach.

Great Job Eric!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt M. Sherrod

I don't know if the victim was on their way to or from Bike Week, but he was on his way to the SARComp from this past weekend 15-17 June.  Absolutely, Great job!
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

RogueLeader

SUPERIOR, OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT
Uh rah!!  SEMPER VI
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 19, 2007, 11:03:26 PM
NO KIDDING!

There should be a valor award and I HOPE that the lifesaving award was an interim award.

I don't mean to sound bad, but why would this rate a higher award?  A valor award?  He did save lives, which is what the Lifesaving Award is for, but I don't see a "risk of injury or death." which would be required for a valor award.

Please note, this is not an attempt to belittle the great accomplishment of what this cadet did, and he deserves recognition for his actions.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

This is pretty typical of the sorts of incidents in which medals of valor have been awarded in the past, including most recently to our National Commander. 

James Shaw

Actually the criteria for the Bronze Medal of Valor is in line with this.

b. Bronze Medal of Valor. Distinguished and
conspicuous heroic action where danger to self is probable
and known.

This point could be argued about the scene of an accident. I am sure that the Life Save was a present reaction and the investigation may lead to a higher award. It takes time ALOT of time. They say it averages atleast 1 year.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

LtCol White

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2007, 12:59:07 AM
NO KIDDING!

I don't mean to sound bad, but why would this rate a higher award?  A valor award?  He did save lives, which is what the Lifesaving Award is for, but I don't see a "risk of injury or death." which would be required for a valor award.

Please note, this is not an attempt to belittle the great accomplishment of what this cadet did, and he deserves recognition for his actions.

I have to agree. Clearly he deserves the Life Saving Award. He did an excellent job without question. I don't see where the higher awards would apply here. Just because others have gotten the award for less doesn't mean it is appropriate. In fact, it lessens the higher awards for giving them when the criteria is extrapolated to make them apply.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

mikeylikey

Is the other Cadet also getting some type of award or citation?  It would also be in line with what happened, RIGHT?
What's up monkeys?

Pumbaa

I was one of the PAO's covering the SARCOMP.

Yep it was a real nice thing to have him get that award. 

I edited the story with the Capt. I was also photographing the awards at the time. 

Of course, the crowd was very responsive and gave him, and the cadets that were with him a big applause.

I have some really good images of him with the US flag behind him...

I am also sure that more awards will be coming his way, as we did a hurry up, and created the one handed to him on the spot.  We did not have a lot of time to put it all together.

So sit tight guys and please don't think we are shorting Perron on awards.  It was just the timing and having such short notice...

If only he had saved the peoples lives the week before.. We could have done much better presenting him multiple awards!   ;D

We suck... huh?  ???

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2007, 12:59:07 AM
NO KIDDING!

From the text of the article, I assume that this aid was rendered on a highway, where a secondary collision is a distinct possibility.  The cadet willingly exposed himself to this forseeable danger in order to render aid to an injured citizen.  Bronze Medal of Valor is appropriate.  Silver if somebody had to lock up brakes to avoid hitting him, or there were conditions that rendered the scene particularly dangerous: curve, night, fog, spilled gas or battery acid, etc.

Dragoon

Hmmmm...not sure exposure to traffic counts as "Distinguished and conspicuous heroic action where danger to self is probable and known."  If so, I'm due about three of these things for directing traffic around accidents.

Pylon

Quote from: Dragoon on June 20, 2007, 01:30:40 PM
Hmmmm...not sure exposure to traffic counts as "Distinguished and conspicuous heroic action where danger to self is probable and known."  If so, I'm due about three of these things for directing traffic around accidents.

It counts if you're a member of the National Board.   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Dragoon on June 20, 2007, 01:30:40 PM

That's why I said that there had to be a PROBABILITY of danger for the SMV vs. a POSSIBILITY of danger for the BMV.  I said that if the scene were "Particularly" dangerous, the award should recognize that.  There was a general threat to the safety of the cadet-rescuer in the basic story, so I opted to sugest the BMV.  If there was an increased likelihood of danger, such as the conditions I mentioned earlier, the cadet's heroism, selflessness, and courage in the face of risk is of a much higher degree.

Dragoon

I was quoting the requirements for BMV, not SMV.  BMV requires probable, not possible danger.

SMV requires "Distinguished and conspicuous heroic action, at the risk of life, above and
beyond the call of normal duty."

The example I've always heard is:

Pulled guy from smoldering wreckage that might start burning - Bronze Medal of Valor

Pulled guy from burning wreckage - Silver Medal of Valor.

So if BMV requires probable danger, just having possible danger is somewhere below that.  Lifesaving seems about right.

captrncap

Quote from: Pylon on June 20, 2007, 02:58:57 PM
It counts if you're a member of the National Board.   ::)

Now, now... Not A member but THE MEMBER!!!!

(yes, I'm am being sarcastic)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Dragoon on June 20, 2007, 05:45:21 PM
I was quoting the requirements for BMV, not SMV.  BMV requires probable, not possible danger.

SMV requires "Distinguished and conspicuous heroic action, at the risk of life, above and
beyond the call of normal duty."

The example I've always heard is:

Pulled guy from smoldering wreckage that might start burning - Bronze Medal of Valor

Pulled guy from burning wreckage - Silver Medal of Valor.

So if BMV requires probable danger, just having possible danger is somewhere below that.  Lifesaving seems about right.

OK.  I don't think its right, nor fair, but you have convinced me that such is the regulation. 

jimmydeanno

*sarcastic*
also depends on if you count route 106 in Laconia, NH as dangerous...its a 2 lane state road with a good wide shoulder that I have never seen with anything more than "moderate" traffic during "rush hour." ;)
*/sarcastic*

Pumbaa

Let's get the timeline straight for those who are a little critical of him not getting more than a life saving award at the NER SARCOMP...

His actions happened on the way in on Friday. Friday was a setup day, getting settled in,etc. so there was no real central function until the meeting at 9 PM.

PA staff did not hear about it until late Friday early Saturday AM, BTW I finally made it back to my room at 0 dark 30, Saturday, after leaving NY at 8 AM Friday...

....we got a hold of the cadet as soon as we could on Saturday, since there was an active competition going on and he was in it.  We interviewed him, wrote the release, edited the release, and then released the release to the media and CAP.

During this period we were scrambling to get approvals, create a certificate, for him so we could present it at the awards ceremony at 10 AM on Sunday, after the cadets completed their testing for the competition.

SO how about letting his squadron commander do his thing, and submit what should be submitted...

ETA:  There just seems to be no pleasing this crowd ???