Vanguard CAP-ABU Manufacturer and color

Started by Eclipse, February 02, 2017, 02:54:57 AM

Eclipse

I looked all over for the thread where we were discussing the lack of manufacturer info on the "CAP-ABU" from VG
but could not find it.

Anyway, several of my cadets had them on this week so I checked.

They have a "Vanguard" label in them, and are manufactured in China, but no company name, just a product #.

They are a different weight of material and the color is noticeably "different" from the mil-spec ones from
Propper - the same weird vividness we used to see in the PAC-Rim BDUs from the Hock.

Absent comparison, no one would probably notice, but side-by-side, they will always look "off".

So there you go...

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

What about cost? Are they cheaper or more expensive than mil-spec ABUs?

Eclipse

Depends on the source.  "No search retail" to "no search retail" they are are less expensive, but
via eBay or other sources, many ~times twice the price (or you can get 2 for the same price).

No idea what MCSS is charging.

The "youth sizes" they are offering are harder to find elsewhere, but I have to say we have a couple of fairly small
cadets and they were still swimming in what they bought.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

There used to be wild variation in the colors for the ABUs at the MCSS too.  IT is much better now but you still need to be careful. 

MCSS prices:

Pants - $41.93
Belt - $3.88
Top - $34.69
Cap - $6.02

ProdigalJim

Beat me to it. I noticed while searching, however, that the MCSS two-inch tab for the sage fleece was FORTY-FIVE CENTS! Vanguard just charged me $2.90 for my eight-months-late Major tab....
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2017, 02:54:57 AM
I looked all over for the thread where we were discussing the lack of manufacturer info on the "CAP-ABU" from VG
but could not find it.

Anyway, several of my cadets had them on this week so I checked.

They have a "Vanguard" label in them, and are manufactured in China, but no company name, just a product #.

They are a different weight of material and the color is noticeably "different" from the mil-spec ones from
Propper - the same weird vividness we used to see in the PAC-Rim BDUs from the Hock.

Absent comparison, no one would probably notice, but side-by-side, they will always look "off".

So there you go...

Do they meet the requirement per CAPM 39-1?

Quote from: CAPM39-1
1.3.3. Commercial Sources.

1.3.3.1. When purchasing uniform clothing from commercial sources, the following should
be kept in mind: All USAF uniform garments, footwear, and accoutrements that the Defense Personnel
Support Center (DPSC) supplies to AAFES military clothing sales stores (MCSS) and conform to USAF
specifications; AAFES also may obtain for sale in MCSS a variety of required and optional uniform items
from commercial vendors. These items are sold under normal AAFES merchandising procedures. All
uniform items must display a USAF certification label.

1.3.3.2. Members who buy uniform items from other than AAFES MCSSs should check the
reliability of the seller and make sure each garment has an USAF certification label. Members must be
careful about buying from commercial sources. The articles may have been rejected by government
buyers, may not conform to specifications, or may be in the process of being phased out. Uniform items
that do not meet USAF specifications are not authorized for wear. Each uniform item must have this label
sewn or stamped on permanently: "USAF CERTIFICATE NO _______. A sample of this item has been
inspected and meets or exceeds the quality prescribed by AF Specification _____."

Eclipse

I didn't see any label like that, though I didn't look in the lower area of the coat, only the collar.

They are noticably more blue then Propped.

"That Others May Zoom"