Main Menu

Another Year

Started by CAPDCCMOM, January 31, 2017, 08:24:09 PM

CAPDCCMOM

Well, I guess that I will be staying on another year. It was really touch and go for a while. I might still need to have my head examined in making this choice.

I really start to wonder if CAP will have what it takes to see another 10 years, let alone another 75. Has our Society completely turned away from Service organizations, such as the Masonic Lodge, CAP, BSA etc? Or are we our own worst enemy with political infighting and the cliques that seem to plague every Wing in the Nation?

As for me, I will try to be the change that I want to see. And except for my occasional rant here, keep my attitude a positive one.

edited for spelling

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on January 31, 2017, 08:24:09 PM
I really start to wonder if CAP will have what it takes to see another 10 years,

let alone another 75.

Has our Society completely turned away from Service organizations, such as the Masonic Lodge?
Yes.  Though to be fair, this writing was on the wall 15-20 years ago, let alone today.  When I was growing up,
everyone was a Mason, an Elk, in the Rotary, Knights of Col, Boy Scouts, etc., and had been as a family for decades.

These organizations were a heavy presence in governments, schools, etc.  Thanks to "advocates", these organizations
are all but eliminated from government and schools, are no longer generally discussed, and far off people's radar
(until they need something).  Far too many people today think the "like" button contributes to society.

Pro tip: It doesn't, but it makes you feel good and then you can get back to X-Box, Tivo, and cat videos.

Full disclosure, my kids Scout troop has recently connected with the Lions Club as a sponsor, and
they look very attractive for my time, same goes for my town's local citizen's volunteer corps.  Both organizations
would offer me significantly more direct involvement in real-world situations, including disasters, and
would do so for 99.99999999999999 less admin overhead or general ennui.

I've had and still have a pretty good CAP time, did some cool things, seen some stuff others never will, and
laughed harder then most, but at some point, after 17 years, how many more encampments can you run,
new people can you drag kicking and screaming sheppard, or SAREx's can you watch go sideways before you
decide "BTDT" and hang up the spurs?

Or are we our own worst enemy with political infighting and the cliques that seem to plague every Wing in the Nation?.

CAP has always been decidedly local, BITD, the general disconnectedness of the organization allowed people to
judge their experience based primarily on their own and unit successes.  These days the illusion of information
makes people think they need to be concerned about things they will never experience, touch, or in any way be involved with.
If you participate on the stage, or at a wider scope, fair enough, many of us here do and thus have things to whine about discuss,
but the average member at the average squadron ventures rarely away (which, frankly, is one of the issues).

Bottom line, your cup is either full or not.  When it's full, you don't have time to be glancing around looking for problems,
when it's empty, it's easy to find fault with trivial matters or things which are normal in any dynamic volunteer organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Larry Mangum

You raise some interesting points. I have struggled every year for the last 3 years or so with the decision to renew. That use to never be an issue. Now days I find I enjoy being a Blue Lodge mason, being in Scottish Rite and being a Shriner a heck of a lot more than I do CAP. Getting more out of those organizations as well. 
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

^ Another point to support this, people shouldn't feel like "quitters" for leaving CAP.

Seriously, how much is enough?  5 years? Ten?  Why should the only option be "lifer"?

People have "successful" military careers that last ten years and they separate as middle-level
officers or NCOs, but with CAP anything less then LV5 and Lt Col feels like "less" to many people.

A: Because the organizaiton has shrunk to the point that losing even one or two members can jeopardize the
viability of the entire unit or activity.  It didn't' used to be that way, and it shouldn't be now.

People have life changes, taste changes, get their need for "x" satisfied, etc., and should be able to move onto
"next" or "new" without feeling like a quitter, but until the numbers issues are fixed, and the culture shifts
from "status quo" and "I got mine, you get yours" to "I got mine, you're next", it's only going to get worse.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

I just renewed for the 40th time...  It just seems the right thing to do, even though I've not done much for the last few years.  CAP has been a big part of my life, and has instilled qualities which have helped guide me to this point.  Nothing can take that away from me, and for that reason I continue to support this organization.  Plus, when I see the successes of today's cadets, I can still feel we are relevant.

DJ Light Chop

Having spent over a decade working in a correctional facility, I'm surrounded by a lot of terrible people who do and say things that make me question the intrinsic value of humanity.  But having been a part of CAP for the last year has really helped with that.  I've seen a lot of good men and women and cadets doing good things and improving themselves. 

Is CAP a perfect organization?  No, but there isn't a perfect organization.  I've had squabbles with other members about absolute nonsense, but ultimately the good outweighs the bad, and I need more positive things in my life.  So I'll keep renewing as long as that is the case.