Vanguard embroidery on local sourced golf shirts

Started by brent.teal, January 29, 2017, 04:57:13 PM

brent.teal

Has anyone had a shirt embroidered by vanguard.  I called and they had no idea what i was talking about.
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

FyreDragn

They will embroider shirts purchased by them, but I doubt they would add embroidery services to locally purchased shirts that are sent to them.
Deputy Commander
Information Technology Officer - Master
Professional Development Officer - Technician
Middle GA Senior Squadron

arajca

Eclipse

You'd be better off going to a local embroidme or similar shop.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Holy consistency failure, Batman.

yeah, we have a hard enough time getting consistent shirts out of them over a period of six months (color, colorfastness, style, weight, fabric type, collar design, buttons, etc), let alone if someone mails in a shirt to them.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2017, 05:28:51 PM
You'd be better off going to a local embroidme or similar shop.

The problem with this idea, of course, is that between the proper colors, high stitch count, and general quality,
the shirt would be visible as "non-standard" from space.

I'd sure like VG to move from the heavy cotton they are using now to a dry-weave or similar modern fabric.
I have Reebok shirts in that material, not to mention a Bookstore-era golf shirt from '99, that can sit crumpled
in the bottom of a backpack and come out without a wrinkle, while the current VG version bunches up weird,
the collar gets all funky and they get wrinkles just sitting on the shelf.

I have a number of the old version of the flightsuit patch that would look great on a golf shirt versus
embroidering direct, but again, the quality of the insignia is a dead giveaway.

Also, LOSE THE POCKET!!!

Nothing SCREAMS "professional" like a stretched out golf shirt pocket from a "small" handheld radio
or a glass case and 5 pens.

Also, while we're at it, why is the embroidered version on the right, and the screen-printed on the left?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Actually...

Reading 39-1, it doesn't say the insignia has to be embroidered onto the shirt, just "embroidered CAP seal",
which a patch most certainly is.
CAPM 39-1, Page 73
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf
5.2.2.1.1. Dark blue knit shirt (long/short sleeves) with embroidered CAP seal on
the right breast.
An embroidered name (first and last name) in white thread, and one‐service badge,
aviation badge, occupational badge, specialty track badge or duty title on the left breast is optional. A
female version of this shirt is available without a pocket; females may wear either the male or the female
version.

Hm...

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2017, 06:01:41 PM
I'd sure like VG to move from the heavy cotton they are using now to a dry-weave or similar modern fabric.
I have Reebok shirts in that material, not to mention a Bookstore-era golf shirt from '99, that can sit crumpled
in the bottom of a backpack and come out without a wrinkle, while the current VG version bunches up weird,
the collar gets all funky and they get wrinkles just sitting on the shelf.

The new shirts are just that, that sort of "dry-weave"

And the "new" seal is a much higher stitch count with the correct color grey background (instead of blue).
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

^ Well, that must be "new-new", because VG is showing the updated insignia with the gray field, but
on the cotton shirt.

Actually it looks like the material you get depends on the size...

"Male short sleeved blue golf shirt, a.k.a. corporate working uniform shirt, with Civil Air Patrol (CAP) seal embroidered in full color on right side.
Shirt is made with a blend of 40% polyester and 60% cotton (Tall sizes only), 100% Polyester (non-Tall sizes) , and has 3 buttons.

Which would be why I and others who have to duck through doorways aren't getting the dry-weave.

To be fair, I had to click the second Google search link to find a supplier, so there's that.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2017, 06:01:41 PM

I have a number of the old version of the flightsuit patch that would look great on a golf shirt versus
embroidering direct, but again, the quality of the insignia is a dead giveaway.

Also, while we're at it, why is the embroidered version on the right, and the screen-printed on the left?

I actually have two golf shirts that are local purchase with a round seal patch sewn on.  They were for field & flying use - would not wear them in an office environment.  And the multiple versions of the golf shirt uniform coupled with low & varying quality is what convinced me nobody would notice or care, and in 7 years nobody has.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2017, 08:11:12 PM
^ Well, that must be "new-new", because VG is showing the updated insignia with the gray field, but
on the cotton shirt.

Actually it looks like the material you get depends on the size...

"Male short sleeved blue golf shirt, a.k.a. corporate working uniform shirt, with Civil Air Patrol (CAP) seal embroidered in full color on right side.
Shirt is made with a blend of 40% polyester and 60% cotton (Tall sizes only), 100% Polyester (non-Tall sizes) , and has 3 buttons.

Which would be why I and others who have to duck through doorways aren't getting the dry-weave.

To be fair, I had to click the second Google search link to find a supplier, so there's that.

My most-recent polo purchase (which matches the design of the one in the photo with the collar ribbing) of a non-tall size was the cotton/polyester blend rather than 100% polyester. 
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

radioguy

For my most recent polo purchase (about a month ago), I received a 100% polyester shirt, 2x size, with the ribbed collar and the newer embroidered seal.  The collar label is "Cornerstone".

Also, for the first time ever, I ordered an embroidered comm badge above the name line.  While I was expecting the comm badge to be similar to the embroidered aircrew  wings, the comm badge is full-color and way over-sized - IMHO - about 3" tall by 2" wide.  Those who might be considering an embroidered comm badge should be aware!

kwe1009

Quote from: radioguy on January 30, 2017, 02:00:48 PM
For my most recent polo purchase (about a month ago), I received a 100% polyester shirt, 2x size, with the ribbed collar and the newer embroidered seal.  The collar label is "Cornerstone".

Also, for the first time ever, I ordered an embroidered comm badge above the name line.  While I was expecting the comm badge to be similar to the embroidered aircrew  wings, the comm badge is full-color and way over-sized - IMHO - about 3" tall by 2" wide.  Those who might be considering an embroidered comm badge should be aware!

The badge was that big?  I would send it back and have them redo it.  The metal comm badge isn't that big.

akennedy1984

I just got one last week with aircrew wings...Not impressed with the way the wings came out

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

brent.teal

Emailed Vanguard and they responded that all localy sourced shirts must be approved by Susie at NHQ ext 212.  They are only approving for actual need such as they don't carry my size, not "I dont like the shirt that vg sells"

i'll post more as things go forward.
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

foo

Quote from: akennedy1984 on January 30, 2017, 03:36:05 PM
I just got one last week with aircrew wings...Not impressed with the way the wings came out

You should call VG and tell them the embroidery is unacceptable. It should look like this:

They'll ask for a picture of what you got and send you a new shirt. I've had to do it for the last two shirts I bought from them and they were very accommodating. I asked them how to return the bad shirt and they said: "Keep it for mowing the lawn."

PHall

Now you guys know why my Golf Shirt just has my name on it. Much less for them to screw up!

foo

Quote from: PHall on January 31, 2017, 01:40:28 AM
Now you guys know why my Golf Shirt just has my name on it. Much less for them to screw up!

You'd think so, but they can even get that wrong. The last shirt I made them redo had my name slanted away from the pocket! It was so bad I can't believe it got out the door looking like that.

ProdigalJim

Nearly every person on this board can share a story or two about Vanguard's poor quality. What does it take to get actual action? I'm convinced now that nobody at Big V actually *looks* at the quality of goods before they stuff them in the envelope and send them out the door.

I finally, today, got my Major tabs for my sage fleece. And they look good. No errors. Why is that such a rarity that it seems like BREAKING NEWS to have to report that my order was correct? (Setting aside the fact that these should have been available months ago...)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Fubar

Quote from: ProdigalJim on January 31, 2017, 02:57:44 AM
Nearly every person on this board can share a story or two about Vanguard's poor quality. What does it take to get actual action? I'm convinced now that nobody at Big V actually *looks* at the quality of goods before they stuff them in the envelope and send them out the door.

What are we to do? They're pretty much the only game in town. I don't know how long the contract is between CAP and VG, but I can't imagine the RFP with the terms we demand draws a lot of interest (not that VG is meeting the terms of the agreement).

akennedy1984

Quote from: akennedy1984 on January 30, 2017, 03:36:05 PM

Vanguard is having the shirt redone. They say they have had a lot of complaints and are fixing the error.