Former cadet over 18 looking to rejoin as cadet?

Started by Eclipse, January 04, 2017, 08:35:38 PM

Eclipse

Former cadet allowed membership to lapse 1 year ago.

Looking to return to CAP as a cadet but is now 19 years of age.

Based on this:

CAPR 39-2 Page 18:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_002_A74FDA9552C2D.pdf
a. Cadets not renewing within 90 days following their membership expiration date have the
option of rejoining
(through their unit of assignment providing they still meet the initial
membership eligibility criteria
) or late renewing. Late renewals will be accepted up to 180 days
from the expiration date and are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters and
payment of retroactive membership dues.

It looks to me like this person does not meet "eligibility criteria" for a cadet and has no choice
but to rejoin as a senior.  One person I discussed this with in my chain thought there may
be some leeway for someone who is in college, but I can find no verbiage to that effect.

This former cadet is in ROTC and would like to continue as a CAP cadet with the possibility of
accessing some scholarships and continued advancement.

Further to that last point, my understanding is that ROTC membership does not confer the
same 30-day advancement waiver as 2-years of JROTC does.  So hopes for Spaatz
would not be a possibility.

I ultimately advised this person to contact NHQ member services directly, but I don't think they will
get a different answer.

"That Others May Zoom"

MHC5096

This happened to me in 1990. I allowed my cadet membership to lapse for a year at age 18 while I attended Boot Camp and Quartermaster A School in the Navy Reserve. When I got back I was 19 years old and attempted to rejoin the Cadet Program in my former unit. My Group Commander ran it up the chain to NHQ and the final answer was that it was not permitted because I was over 18. I had to rejoin as a Senior Member. On the positive side, I was appointed as a Flight Officer and put Captain on 2 years later when I turned 21.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

lordmonar

My read on it is the same as yours Eclipse.

And IIRC that is why that paragraph is written the way it is.

So...no sorry....if you want to come back you got to be an FO.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

If he was 18+364 days (+1 every 4 years), then yes. But since he's 19 and a non-member at this point, he's SOL.

Eclipse

Just circling around, as several said, this former cadet was told by NHQ they would need to rejoin as a senior member.

"That Others May Zoom"