E-Services News has an RSS Feed...

Started by Pylon, April 21, 2007, 04:50:55 PM

Pylon

Interesting... I just noticed today for the first time that the news items that get posted to your E-Services home page now have an RSS feed:

https://www.capnhq.gov/news_rss.aspx

Cool.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Apparently the feed has been ported over to a few of the blogging communities, like Livejournal, etc.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Capt Rivera

Not cool. Can you say Security Breach...? Wow someone needs to re-read the Op-sec training and realize the capability they just gave everymember with a website/journal. Furthermore, I'm so glad to see that that was a NEEDED thing to spend valuable time on instead of the things members actually request and would benefit from.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: riveraj on April 22, 2007, 12:12:44 AM
Not cool. Can you say Security Breach...? Wow someone needs to re-read the Op-sec training and realize the capability they just gave everymember with a website/journal. Furthermore, I'm so glad to see that that was a NEEDED thing to spend valuable time on instead of the things members actually request and would benefit from.

It's not an OPSEC issue if the RSS items are the same items publicly visible on the CAP website's front page, which appears to be the case.

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

JC004

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on April 22, 2007, 12:50:19 AM
Quote from: riveraj on April 22, 2007, 12:12:44 AM

It's not an OPSEC issue if the RSS items are the same items publicly visible on the CAP website's front page, which appears to be the case.

Well this stuff doesn't show on the CAP news online or on the main page of CAP.gov, but I don't know that there's any FOUO stuff in here, really.  If it addressed how eServices works at some point (rather than what it does), then that could be an issue.  But security on eServices could probably be tightened up anyway.  Most of the stuff listed here is just new eServices features.  Eh...

floridacyclist

This looks like interesting stuff to port to our member's page which is not password-protected or anything, just information that is of interest only to current members; I will have to trust the gurus at NHQ to not put any sensitive stuff on the feed. I already have the CAP news ported to the front page which is primarily intended for potential members as that makes it look like our squadron does more than we really do.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Pylon

Actually, what I'd rather see is an Internal CAP News Service/Page/Feed.  While CAP is certainly on the upswing improving our external communications plan, our internal communications still languishes.

I'd like to see a new service that posts articles on things that matter to members only.  Policy letters and reg changes, regulations up for commenting period, major conferences and national training events, minutes and agenda for NB/NEC posted, changes to E-services/MIMS/WMIRS, messages from the National Commander, updates on major projects (ID cards, wing banker...), et cetera.

That would be something that would benefit everyone in the field.  One central place to get your CAP updates, administrative minutiae, commander's messages and policy changes.  And make it something easy to remember, like cap.gov/membernews.   An RSS feed would mean that wings, groups, and squadrons could post items directly to their web presence for quick and effective distribution of information to the membership.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on April 23, 2007, 02:15:07 PM
Actually, what I'd rather see is an Internal CAP News Service/Page/Feed.  While CAP is certainly on the upswing improving our external communications plan, our internal communications still languishes.

I'd like to see a new service that posts articles on things that matter to members only.  Policy letters and reg changes, regulations up for commenting period, major conferences and national training events, minutes and agenda for NB/NEC posted, changes to E-services/MIMS/WMIRS, messages from the National Commander, updates on major projects (ID cards, wing banker...), et cetera.

That would be something that would benefit everyone in the field.  One central place to get your CAP updates, administrative minutiae, commander's messages and policy changes.  And make it something easy to remember, like cap.gov/membernews.   An RSS feed would mean that wings, groups, and squadrons could post items directly to their web presence for quick and effective distribution of information to the membership.

Right on!  Are you NHQ/National volunteer folks listening to this?