Main Menu

Virginia Tech University

Started by LtCol White, April 16, 2007, 05:13:35 PM

LtCol White

Lets all keep our VAWG members in mind. This morning there has a been a shooting on the campus of the university where 22 students have been killed.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

bosshawk

Lets keep the students, their families and friends in our thoughts and prayers.  This hits close to home: I lived in VA for 20 years and knew a lot of people who went to VT.

Haven't seen the news, yet, but will soon.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

DogCollar

The news is not good.  Virginia Tech is the largest residential university in Virginia.  The shooter has apparently been killed or killed himself.  The school and surrounding area continue to be on lock down.

22 students have apparently been killed, and scores wounded.  CNN.com and MSNBC have been staying up to date with developments.  Needless to say, everyone in Virginia has a connection with Virginia Tech.  It's that big of a school.  There are obviously, lots of nervous parents either waiting to hear from their son or daughter, or waiting for the release of names of the dead and wounded.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: DogCollar on April 16, 2007, 05:27:11 PM
The news is not good.  Virginia Tech is the largest residential university in Virginia.  The shooter has apparently been killed or killed himself.  The school and surrounding area continue to be on lock down.

22 students have apparently been killed, and scores wounded.  CNN.com and MSNBC have been staying up to date with developments.  Needless to say, everyone in Virginia has a connection with Virginia Tech.  It's that big of a school.  There are obviously, lots of nervous parents either waiting to hear from their son or daughter, or waiting for the release of names of the dead and wounded.

Know that my thoughts and prayers are will all of you there in VA
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Rangersigo

Have been watching this all morning.  I am amazed that so little information is known.  Sounds like multiple shooters?

jimmydeanno

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

This is just sick. 

My prayers are with these families during this hard time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LtCol White

It was one shooter. The incident started as a domestic violence issue between the bf/gf. Sadly, the total is now at 30 dead.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Tim Medeiros

Fox News is calling it at 32 right now
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Pylon

May God be with the families of the victims and those terrorized by this incident.   :'(
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alexalvarez

May God be with the families , victims, and our nation over this tragedy.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Ps. 46:1)
Amen.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

RogueLeader

As of this morning, it was 33 dead, 12 in stable condition.
My thoughts and parayers also go out to all the families, and the friends out there that have to deal with all that.

Semper Fi!!!
Carry on!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Lived in VA for 15 years where if "my cadets" didn't go into the military or a service academy, seems they all went to VA Tech instead. 

Just got word that none of my former cadets were involved, thankfully. 

Tragedy, no doubt. 

Serving since 1987.

LtCol White

Quote from: Stonewall on April 17, 2007, 06:03:44 PM
Lived in VA for 15 years where if "my cadets" didn't go into the military or a service academy, seems they all went to VA Tech instead. 

Just got word that none of my former cadets were involved, thankfully. 

Tragedy, no doubt. 

Thankful to hear that.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

DogCollar

These past couple of days have truly been emotional for the entire country and especially here in Virginia.  I am a born and raised Virginian, and have lived in this state my whole life, except for the years I was in Seminary.  But, you don't have to live in Virginia long to have some sort of connection with Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), which is still referred to as V.P.I. by some of us old timers!

The whole state has been effected, because the whole state has a connection to the school.  While I did not attend Tech (I did take my GRE's there), I have had relatives, many friends, and folks from my churches attend.  It's a good school.  Blacksburg is a solid community.  Virginia, as a state will be fine.  The students and faculty who were there, who lost friends and colleages...the first responders who had deal with trauma on a massive scale, while a manhunt was going on...school administrators having to make split second decisions in a surreal environment (while everyone in the country is second guessing with the vision of 20/20 hindsight)...these are the people I am most concerned about at the moment.

I would invite you all to continue your praying for the victims, their families, the school itself, and those who continue to work and help in the midst of this tragedy.  I would also invite you to remember and pray for the family of the perpetrator.  While his actions are as horrible as they come, it seems like he was terribly troubled, and he fell through the cracks of our mental health system.

I would also invite you to be active in your communities to develop adequate services for trauma follow-up, and to advocate for better, more comprehensive, and just services for the mentally ill.

jimmydeanno

Just out of curiosity, do you know if VAWG CAP has offered the services of the CISM folks?  That's a lot of people that could probably use some help.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DogCollar

Yes.  MER and VAWG have offered assistance.  I know that there has been a presence with the Montgomery County Squadron that meets near Va. Tech.  What, if anything, has happened for CAP on campus I cannot answer.

jimmydeanno

Thats GREAT!  If you happen to hear anything from anyone about it, will you let us know? 

LtCol White

An interesting story has come out of this tragedy.

A professor who was a holocaust suvivor stood in the doorway of his classroom to block the entrance as his students climbed out of the window to safety. Never once did he concern himself with his own safety thinking only of his students. He was shot 5 times and died but many of his students escaped.

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend"

He will be buried in Israel later today. May he rest in the peace that was denied to him but that he selflessly gave to others.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

afgeo4

One of the students killed was an AFROTC cadet. I wonder if he had ties to CAP.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123049435
GEORGE LURYE

Major Lord

Quote from: LtCol White on April 19, 2007, 01:17:11 PM
An interesting story has come out of this tragedy.

A professor who was a holocost suvivor stood in the doorway of his classroom to block the entrance as his students climbed out of the window to safety. Never once did he concern himself with his own safety thinking only of his students. He was shot 5 times and died but many of his students escaped.

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend"

He will be buried in Israel later today. May he rest in the peace that was denied to him but that he selflessly gave to others.

C.S. Lewis wrote that " A nobel death is a treasure no man is too poor to afford"

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."