Letter to the Editor: Reverse Psychology Recruiting/Fundraising?

Started by Lancer, April 10, 2007, 04:08:53 PM

Lancer

via Google News Alerts...

http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/content/news/opinion/2007/04/09/0404editBluckerLet.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=7

Letter: Civil Air Patrol not rich boys club

Monday, April 09, 2007

I'm very troubled about rumors and false information that is being passed throughout our community about our local U.S. Air Force Auxiliary Civil Air Patrol Squadron and its cadets. Recently, one of our senior officers was told by a local official that he and his peers were under the impression that CAP was just for rich kids.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Most of our cadets are in grades 6-12, and come from middle class families. Many others come from low-income families. None of our senior members are anywhere near wealthy.

In addition, as an all-volunteer organization, and because our local CAP squadron gets no funding from our state or national commands, many of our senior members often spend money out of their own pockets to fund local CAP programs.

The Albemarle Area United Way helps us with the little bit of funding each year, but it's nowhere near what we need. Operating the program is a constant struggle because we receive little to no funding or donations.

What makes the struggle worthwhile is our noble mission — emergency service and disaster relief. We are proud of what we do, and because of that we'll continue to try to keep our heads above water as we train to serve our community in its time of need.

We would ask that anyone who is curious about what we do, who we are, and what our purpose is, to stop by and chat with us at our cadet meetings. They're held at the National Guard Armory in Elizabeth City most Tuesdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. You also can visit www.cap.gov and check out the organization.

If someone is interested in what we do, they should check us out before believing any rumors or false impressions that may be out there. Our cadet programs need the community's support, not a cold shoulder or lack of interest.

TERRY BLUCKER

Elizabeth City

Editor's note: The author is a lieutenant in the local U.S. Air Force Auxiliary Civil Air Patrol Squadron.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about something like this going into the paper, local or otherwise. I mean, we can all understand Lt Blucker's frustrations, but it could almost be considered whining to the lay person.

Thoughts?

Pylon

Not the most effective public relations effort I've seen before, but perhaps he was responding to a story or true local rumor-mill on which we have no reference.

If I were writing the editor, there are a handful of other approaches I would have taken first.  The unfortunately reality, however, is that not every squadron has a true public relations professional on hand.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: Pylon on April 10, 2007, 04:12:47 PM
The unfortunately reality, however, is that not every squadron has a true public relations professional on hand.

Your right. The skills necessary to be an effective public affairs person are not really something that is taught in school. There aren't that many in the 'industry' that are members of CAP to my knowledge. As my unit PAO I for one am no expert, but it's something I enjoy and am working towards learning all I can to be proficient in that role, AFIADL course (which is old, but still has good advice), photography classes, effective press release writing seminars, etc.

Anyone who is on the PAO ListServ seen the message from Michael Marek about the new Draft 190-1, here's the link.

http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/member_services/publications/publications_for_comment.cfm

As he had mentioned, this is something long overdue. So if you have feedback regarding it, pass it up the chain as suggested.

For us in MIWG, we just had a PAO conference prior to our wing conference and it was very productive. We came away with a better understanding of our roles and picked up on tips to be better PA officers. One of the outcomes of the meeting was a private forum setup for PAO's from across the state to share ideas, ask questions, and learn from each other.

I haven't confirmed yet, but I am very interested in attending the National Conference in Atlanta and attending the 1st PAO Academy conference they will be hosting.

LtCol White

He could have accomplished the same thing by leaving out the perception that it was for rich kids and simply stated that it is open to all intersted parties meeting the minimum age requirements.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

DNall

The only way I'd let something like that go out is in a direct effor to dispell the rumor-mill. I think that could have been done a little more effectively. I think costs of membership could have been listed. I think playing up AF reimbursment makes RS possible but we struggle the rest of the time... It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to get money then you want to look poor but noble, if you're trynig to get members then you want to look strong and well supported.

RiverAux

There is no way the rumor mill had as many people participating in it as those reading the paper.  Probably a couple of people max said it but many, many, many will see this in the paper.  So, the first many will hear of CAP in that town will be a denial that they are a rich boys club.  Bad, bad, public affairs move.