Main Menu

leadership class

Started by capcadet101, April 07, 2007, 12:57:29 AM

capcadet101

I was woundering if anyone could help figure out a topic to do on leadership and how indepth i shopuld go with the class.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
Lake St. Louis Missouri 63367
ges,set, certified

JC004

It depends on your audience.  Are you teaching brand-new cadets, airmen, NCOs?  All of the above?  Are there problems at the unit that can begin to be addressed with this class?  The first thing you need to do is determine what you are trying to accomplish and what the message will be.  Don't teach a class for the sake of filling time.  The depth of your information must also depend on these things.

These are always questions you should ask yourself, but surely you can bounce ideas off the many experienced members here.

DNall

All very true... also hopefully it's not A class but part of a series of classes stretched over the quarter designed to accomplish unit goals/address stated problems, and hopefully you're using the right teaching techniques spread acrss your spectrum.

No need to make it complicated though, just try to aproach it from a practical stanpoint of actually trying to take A step toward addressing the issues in your unit that your audience is weak on.

capcadet101

my class is for airman and i need to have the class over disipline.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

JC004

Quote from: capcadet101 on April 07, 2007, 01:27:08 AM
my class is for airman and i need to have the class over disipline.

My initial thought is that a discipline-related class for airmen would be focused on self-discipline, from a followership prospective. 

capcadet101

do u have any idea on wat i should do
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

bosshawk

One additional thought comes to mind.  If these folks are really airmen, they may be like a lot of young people these days who have no concept of discipline.  Might consider starting out with a definition of discipline and use a few examples.  As has been pointed out, start with self-discipline, which may be a new concept also.  allow some time for discussion and have some questions prepared in the event that your audience is not responsive, for whatever reason.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JC004

Quote from: capcadet101 on April 07, 2007, 01:33:04 AM
do u have any idea on wat i should do

Start with writing down a little brainstorm of what you know about self-discipline.  Then write down some stuff you might not be sure about, but would like to learn more about and share with your audience.  Think about the desired behaviors.  What do you want these airmen to be thinking about/starting to do after this class?  You need to define self discipline, its traits, and go from there in writing your outline.  Start with your leadership book and move out from there.  I'm sure the group can help you here as you build an outline.

Quote from: bosshawk on April 07, 2007, 01:34:22 AM
One additional thought comes to mind.  If these folks are really airmen, they may be like a lot of young people these days who have no concept of discipline.  Might consider starting out with a definition of discipline and use a few examples.  As has been pointed out, start with self-discipline, which may be a new concept also.  allow some time for discussion and have some questions prepared in the event that your audience is not responsive, for whatever reason.

Agreed.

DNall

young cadets usually don't like the word discipline. I try to come at it from other directions... service before self, professionalism, why do we do drill > why are those skills necessary for SaR > why will people die if you don't execute these qualities in all you do... just connect the dots kind of thing.

JC004

Quote from: DNall on April 07, 2007, 01:59:44 AM
young cadets usually don't like the word discipline. I try to come at it from other directions... service before self, professionalism, why do we do drill > why are those skills necessary for SaR > why will people die if you don't execute these qualities in all you do... just connect the dots kind of thing.

True, although most probably had a certain expectation of some discipline since they saw the uniform, maybe some drill and such.  But yes, that's the substance of it, and it's all pretty much the same regardless of the semantics.  The stuff DNall lists is a good start for you.

bosshawk

CAPCADET101: you are getting some good advice from a couple of guys who really have their heads screwed on straight: pay attention and they(and maybe I) can help you with your class.  I am very pleased with the responses so far on your question.  I don't have a lot of experience with CAP cadets, but I certainly have been there and done that in leadership.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JC004

Quote from: bosshawk on April 07, 2007, 02:37:56 AM
CAPCADET101: you are getting some good advice from a couple of guys who really have their heads screwed on straight...

I haven't been accused of that for a while.   ;D

---

As much bickering and drivel as happens on these forums, we've got a decent group here and it is a good place to ask questions like this.  The power of the interweb tubes allow you to learn a lot from CAP members nationwide.  I highly recommend that you take advantage of that.  I certainly benefited from it as a cadet (and continue to as a donut-consuming dark sider), and I think you will too.   

DNall

That does contrast a little to the things I was being called earlier. preciate it.  :D

Do some brainstorming cadet & come back with more questions &/or what you come up with. We can help you work it thru to make sure you're on the right track to helping improve your unit.

ZigZag911

You might consider a discussion on the characteristics of a good follower, and of a good leader....then bring it around to making the point that if they ever will develop into good leaders, before getting anyone else to follow them, they must 'follow' themselves -- exercise self-control, self-discipline, set personal goals and do their best to achieve them.

capcadet101

Hey guys thanks alot for all of the info if i have any more questions i be sure to ask. if you have any more ideas it would be much apprecated thanks again.
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
ges,set, certified

BlackKnight

Quote from: capcadet101 on April 07, 2007, 01:27:08 AM
my class is for airman and i need to have the class over discipline.

capcadet101,

I've got some cadet leadership lesson plans and handouts that I have used for monthly leadership classes. The lesson plans cover Leadership 2000 chapters from the Curry through the Goddard achievements.  They're fairly heavily modified versions of the ones that you can get by browsing the leadership pages at www.cadetstuff.org.  You're welcome to use any or all of them.  PM me and I can email them to you or put them up on an ftp site for download.  From you're brief description it sounds like your cadets are ready to cover the Arnold material (Leadership Chapter 2) which focuses on self-discipline, teamwork, and followership.

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/