Opening/closing formations at every meeting?

Started by A.Member, March 23, 2007, 08:17:16 PM

Does your squadron have opening/closing formations at every meeting?

Yes
No

A.Member

Hopefully the question is straight forward.

Formation is done in uniform and includes posting (opening) and retreiving (closing) the colors (with sound). 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MIKE

Have the squadron form in line and take reports for opening formation.  Sometimes we skip closing formation though when we are running late.

Have only seen one unit that brought out the colors for formation.  Did not do this at either of the squadrons I have been a member of.
Mike Johnston

Fifinella

We have opening and closing formations, but the colors are permanently posted in our squadron.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Eclipse

We recite the Pledge of Allegiance, the Safety Pledge and a few times a year
post the colors outside, weather permitting for special events.

This is done at both Senior and cadets meetings (which are on separate nights due to space constraints).

Believe it or not, the senior ones were at the request of several seniors as we began to "re-militarize" the unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

We do the Pledge, Cadet Oath (when cadets are present) and a Moment of Silence/Prayer if Clergy is avaible.

We just dismiss when the work is done.

At the "Flight" we are starting in Kingsville, we may have more formality since it is a cadet driven element of teh Squadron.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Doesn't CAPP 151 say not to recite the Pledge of Alliegence in formation?
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on March 23, 2007, 09:34:35 PM

Affirmative.  But it's just a pamphlet and not a reg, so....   :P

Actually, in a wierd sort of way, I kinda feel better knowing that my unit isn't the only one doing that.  I still just do the standing at attention thing and keep my mouth shut...I tend to get in trouble when I don't  :angel:

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

The room is called to attention, everyone faces the flag...a person recites the pledge based on the uniform they are wearing.  Those in uniform stand at attention, those in CAP distinctive et al render civilian honors to the flag as per the Flag Code.

On occasions when we are in a true formation, normally a guest or MC is asked to lead the pledge.  This type of formation is normally reserved for some formal function.

---

After reading the initial post again, I guess then we only do it occasionally; not every meeting.  Sorry...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Psicorp

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 23, 2007, 09:42:01 PM

The room is called to attention, everyone faces the flag...a person recites the pledge based on the uniform they are wearing.  Those in uniform stand at attention, those in CAP distinctive et al render civilian honors to the flag as per the Flag Code.

Umm, repectfully, sir...CAPM 39-1  Change Notice dated 11/20/06 says:  "Members wearing the Corporate Service Coat or the white aviator shirt and blue pants/skirt combination should observe the same customs and courtesies as members wearing the Air Force-style uniform. Members will stand at attention for the National Anthem and the presentation of the colors and will salute superior officers as necessary."

Dang...see what happens when I don't keep my mouth shut?   ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

A.Member

The National Anthem is played during opening formation and Retreat is sounded at the closing in our squadron.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major Carrales

Quote from: Psicorp on March 23, 2007, 09:49:34 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 23, 2007, 09:42:01 PM

The room is called to attention, everyone faces the flag...a person recites the pledge based on the uniform they are wearing.  Those in uniform stand at attention, those in CAP distinctive et al render civilian honors to the flag as per the Flag Code.

Umm, repectfully, sir...CAPM 39-1  Change Notice dated 11/20/06 says:  "Members wearing the Corporate Service Coat or the white aviator shirt and blue pants/skirt combination should observe the same customs and courtesies as members wearing the Air Force-style uniform. Members will stand at attention for the National Anthem and the presentation of the colors and will salute superior officers as necessary."

Dang...see what happens when I don't keep my mouth shut?   ;D

Ooops...by CAP Distinctive in our unit I was meaning White Greys.  No one in our unit as of yet wears or even owns these new fangled WHITE BLUES(?)

There is one of us building that set and and maybe even I, just to tell my great-grandchildren in 2053 that I had one.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: A.Member on March 23, 2007, 09:54:15 PM
The National Anthem is played during opening formation and Retreat is sounded at the closing in our squadron.

Ditto, add Pledge of Allegiance, Safety Pledge, and Cadet Oath at opening.

Reports, prayer, and announcements are also done at closing.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RogueLeader

The only thing that we don't do is the prayer.  I'll have to mention it to the CC.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

It's a split vote for me.

Cadet half of the squadron -- absolutely.  Opening and closing formations every meeting.

Seniors side of the squadron -- never.  Meetings are run like a business meeting with an agenda, call to order, etc. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 24, 2007, 09:41:05 AM
Ditto, add Pledge of Allegiance, Safety Pledge, and Cadet Oath at opening.

safety pledge

;D

Stonewall

While I was deputy commander for cadets and then squadron commander at a different squadron, so that's two different squadrons, we had formations with both cadets and seniors.

Seniors would boast about 15 members, all in USAF style uniforms (occasionally one would show in a corporate uniform).  Cadets would boast 2 full flights of about 15 cadets each.

I'm at a new squadron in a different wing now and only the cadets form up, but they do so at the start and end of the meeting.

As a cadet, we started by forming up and reciting the Pledge of Alliegence and the Cadet Oath.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on April 02, 2007, 08:17:50 PM
It's a split vote for me.

Cadet half of the squadron -- absolutely.  Opening and closing formations every meeting.

Seniors side of the squadron -- never.  Meetings are run like a business meeting with an agenda, call to order, etc. 
Whats wrong with having the Seniors have an opening formation?  I think its a good traditional way of starting out the meeting.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

I totally agree with seniors being a part of opening formation, when they meet at the same time and place as cadets.  One of the best things we ever did at my squadrons in DC was have seniors form up in a flight next to the cadets.  But for a senior squadron or like my current squadron where seniors meet separately, on a different night.  It ain't gonna happen.

During the cadet meetings there are only 2 or 3 seniors present so it just doesn't make sense.

But yeah, I hear ya.  Nothing beats a formation at 1915 when you've got a flight of about 15 seniors, and 2 flights of cadets, and then, if you've got one going on, a Training Flight (T-Flight) of 10 cadets.  That's four flights.  I miss those days....
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: Stonewall on April 05, 2007, 04:45:08 PMNothing beats a formation at 1915 when you've got a flight of about 15 seniors, and 2 flights of cadets, and then, if you've got one going on, a Training Flight (T-Flight) of 10 cadets.  That's four flights.  I miss those days....

:'(

I miss those days, too.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAPP 151
(3) Pledge of Allegiance. Honors to the flag during the
Pledge of Allegiance are similar to those rendered during the
playing of the National Anthem or "To the Colors."
(a) Military Formations or Ceremonies. You do not
recite the Pledge of Allegiance while in military formation.
(b) Outdoors. When in military-style uniform, you stand
at attention, face the flag, remain silent, and salute.
(c) Indoors. When in military-style uniform, stand at
attention, face the flag, but do not salute. You may recite the
pledge indoors.

Just so there is no argument...

QuoteAffirmative.  But it's just a pamphlet and not a reg, so....   

This doesn't work in all cases... depends on if the pamphlet is said to be used by a reg.  i.e. CAPP 52-18 said to be used by CAPR 52-16, makes the information in said pamphlet regulatory when being used for that portion of 52-16.

Oh yeah, on topic...

When I was in charge we had both formations, opening and closing, for seniors (ahem...officers) and cadets, my new squadron however, only does an opening formation for cadets...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 11, 2007, 07:42:28 PM

When I was in charge we had both formations, opening and closing, for seniors (ahem...officers) and cadets, my new squadron however, only does an opening formation for cadets...

Why the change?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 08:08:46 PM

Why the change?

When you move the new squadron commander doesn't look to kindly upon you if you try to coup... ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 11, 2007, 08:25:50 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 08:08:46 PM

Why the change?

When you move the new squadron commander doesn't look to kindly upon you if you try to coup... ;D
Why ever not? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340