Main Menu

The perfect hygiene kit

Started by Stonewall, July 21, 2012, 04:32:58 PM

Stonewall

It has lasted 20 years! I bought it in the summer of 1992 from Hudson Trail Outfitters in Northern Virginia. It has kept me clean, shaven, and odor free on 5 continents, 2 war zones, numerous girlfriends' houses, and in the field as I lived out of a rucksack. But its time has come to say goodbye.

If anyone has an idea for the PERFECT hygiene kit that is simple, compact, and can hang on a tree branch, then please point me in the right direction. I couldn't find this brand or model anywhere. Camp Trails "Travel Kit". My google-fu failed me.

Serving since 1987.

Persona non grata

I have a under armour one that  hangs like that and its what I always keep my stuff in. Recently I got a Black Hawk molle that I  throw stuff in for shift.  I can atach to other molle type bags if needed.  The best price I ever paid for one was likea 1.98 rom MCSS,simple bg in OD green.  I use itnow to store ribbons and other uniform crap. 

Sorry no pics. >:(
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

vento

devone529

Wally-World? Isnt that place rather... cheap?
"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." — Winston Churchill

a2capt

..and Target, K-Sears, Meijer, Costco, etc. Get their stuff from somewhere else?

If you hang on the thing like an ape, it's going to shred. If you use it as intended, it will do the job.

So, yes, they may be .. "rather cheap". Why pay more for something so simple.

Eclipse

2 years ago, the encampment received a donation of some 150 travel kits from a local manufacturing company - nice ones with
manicure and sewing kits, plus a few toiletries and containers, etc.  All participants and staff received one.

As Stonewall says, a decent one can last a lifetime and becomes a little "friend" on trips.  They evolve over years and eventually
have exactly what >you< need based on countless refits and refills.

It pleased me to no end to see a fair number of returning cadets the next year pull the kits out of their gear during check-in.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

My kids have a couple of these they use for their DS and other electronics on trips - they have stood up nicely.
http://tinyurl.com/aa6vhel
They were included with electric razors a few years ago.  I especially like the way they open and hang, and the zippers and pulls are sturdy. About $10 on eBay.

After a second look, I'm going to have to see if we have any more of these.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Score!

I was able to get my hands on a couple of these.  Double-nice since the mirror on my old one got
cracked in transit and I've been picking little pieces of glass out of it for a month.

Stonewall - I might be inclined to send you one for the cost of postage...

BTW - looks like yours was a discontinued QVC product - so close: http://www.qvc.com/.product.F953929.html

I also just learned that the "official" name for these is "Dopp Kit".

Quoth the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopp_kit
A Dopp kit is a small toilet bag, made of leather, vinyl, or cloth, that is used for storing men's grooming tools for travel. Common items kept in a Dopp kit are deodorant, a razor, shaving cream, comb, shampoo, nail clippers, scissors, toothbrush, toothpaste, and cologne. The name derives from early 20th century leather craftsman Charles Doppelt, a German immigrant to the United States, who invented his toiletry case in 1919.

The kits became widely known during the Second World War when they were issued to GIs. Doppelt's company was purchased by Samsonite in the early 1970s.
Dopp kits were once a common gift given to adolescent males as they ascended from boyhood to adulthood.
Although the term was originally a trademark, it appears to have at least mostly become generic, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office lists the trademark as abandoned.[3]

In the British Isles the item is known as a "sponge bag".

"That Others May Zoom"

Jaison009

I have one very similar made by Adidas that I bought sometime between 2003-6. It came as a full kit with all kinds of shaving cream, deod, cologne, etc.

Quote from: Stonewall on July 21, 2012, 04:32:58 PM
It has lasted 20 years! I bought it in the summer of 1992 from Hudson Trail Outfitters in Northern Virginia. It has kept me clean, shaven, and odor free on 5 continents, 2 war zones, numerous girlfriends' houses, and in the field as I lived out of a rucksack. But its time has come to say goodbye.

If anyone has an idea for the PERFECT hygiene kit that is simple, compact, and can hang on a tree branch, then please point me in the right direction. I couldn't find this brand or model anywhere. Camp Trails "Travel Kit". My google-fu failed me.

Newslick

Mal-Wart sells one for $10.00 (Protege Toiletry Kit) but it does not come stocked. They have cheaper ones that do come stocked with sample sized toothpaste, deodorant, soap, etc. They ain't gonna last 20 years, though.

I stocked mine with shaving soap and a brush, and a round mirror head from a 1966 Triumph motorcycle. It has been to the Bahamas and back.