Mountain Bike Use By Ground Teams?

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 27, 2012, 11:06:10 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 28, 2012, 08:03:31 AM
I never need a patch or air pump. ;). I have solid rubber tires.

Is your front tire exponentially bigger than you back tire too?

I finally figured out what FTW stands for. I kept thinking it meant .... The world!

wuzafuzz

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 27, 2012, 11:06:10 PM
Anyone know of any ground teams using mountain bikes ???  I would assume that since it is not a motorized vehicle it could be utilized ??? :-\
RM
Yegads!  Think of the liability!  The chances of injury are far greater when zooming down a trail at warp factor 9 than the risk we incur when working "security" at airshows!   ;D

Actually I think mountain bikes could be useful in some circumstances. Of course the only "extreme" in CAP is risk avoidance. That may prevent effective use of bikes in CAP. 

Bike uniforms? Whatever. I want a two-way radio on my bike.   8)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Al Sayre

In many states, those under 18 can't ride a bike without a bike helmet.  Can't wear a bike helmet with your uniform as it's not authorized in CAPM 39-1 and - Per CAPM39-1 Table 1-3 3.(e) helmet liners. Color to be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20.  Helmet liners will not meet the bike helmet requirement.  Ergo, no mountain bikes.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 28, 2012, 02:28:38 PM
In many states, those under 18 can't ride a bike without a bike helmet.  Can't wear a bike helmet with your uniform as it's not authorized in CAPM 39-1 and - Per CAPM39-1 Table 1-3 3.(e) helmet liners. Color to be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20.  Helmet liners will not meet the bike helmet requirement.  Ergo, no mountain bikes.

http://www.scandinavianobjects.com/somaterial/yakkay_bicycle_helmet/4.html

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Let's get pith helmets authorized for mountain bikers. That spike would be good for something I'm sure.

RogueLeader

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 28, 2012, 12:25:17 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on May 28, 2012, 08:03:31 AM
I never need a patch or air pump. ;). I have solid rubber tires.

Is your front tire exponentially bigger than you back tire too?

I finally figured out what FTW stands for. I kept thinking it meant .... The world!

Nope. They make solid rubber intertubes. Stopped an idiot from popping my tires one time. I've never had a flat. Pays to grow up in the country where we had to worry about puncture vines and sand burrs.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

N7MOG

NoMorFlats in all my bike tires.  Same feel as inner tubes, a bit heavier.  Not as bad as Slyme.
Bill Collister
SD WG DC
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

resq1192

Believe it or not, CAP used to have SAR teams on horseback way back in the day too.   >:D  Of course, I'll bet that some of the proper equipment used by modern mounted SAR people (ie riding helmet, lacer/packer boots, saddle bags etc) will probably not meet some current reg either ... thus I will ride if my local civilian team needs mounts.  ;D  And no need for special chow ... got grass??
From "The Searchers": "LET'S GO!"

sardak