Orange Vest and the regs.

Started by ThatOneGuy, February 05, 2012, 12:08:35 AM

ThatOneGuy

Hi all,

Quick gear question here. According to CAPR 62-1, all GTMs must wear an orange vest meeting ANZI Class 2 whenever they are out in the field. I have been doing ground team ops for about 6 months and currently have a setup with a 24 hour pack and a larger 72 hour pack, which gets quite cumbersome carrying them both. What I was wondering was if I was to get an orange vest (MOLLE or SARMED) that meets class 2 (reflective material) would it be able to count as the "orange vest" per 62-1? I have several friends who already use vests for the 24 hour pack (not in orange) but have to put the orange safety vests over them, diminishing the effectiveness of the vest in the first place. I apologize if this question has been asked before, I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to that particular question.

Thank you all
:clap:

davidsinn

Quote from: superLt1995 on February 05, 2012, 12:08:35 AM
Hi all,

Quick gear question here. According to CAPR 62-1, all GTMs must wear an orange vest meeting ANZI Class 2 whenever they are out in the field. I have been doing ground team ops for about 6 months and currently have a setup with a 24 hour pack and a larger 72 hour pack, which gets quite cumbersome carrying them both. What I was wondering was if I was to get an orange vest (MOLLE or SARMED) that meets class 2 (reflective material) would it be able to count as the "orange vest" per 62-1? I have several friends who already use vests for the 24 hour pack (not in orange) but have to put the orange safety vests over them, diminishing the effectiveness of the vest in the first place. I apologize if this question has been asked before, I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to that particular question.

Thank you all
:clap:

There is more to ANSI Class II than just reflectivity. It must actually be rated as Class II and must meet a strict scientifically determined standard. If you can find something that is actually rated I wouldn't give any problems with it. The catch is it must actually be rated and I don't know of any tactical/medical vests that are.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Dad2-4

If it meets ANSI Class 2 standards it's OK. The regs do not limit the number of pockets that can be made into the vest. In my opinion, an orange ANSI II tactical vest with lots of pockets and pouches is the way to go for 24 hour gear. Thevestguy.com can  make you an ANSI II vest with a wide combination of attachments. He even has a photo or 2 of that very thing.

Eclipse

ANSI compliant vests are only required under the following circumstances:

"...anytime a  member's duties may place them within the right-of-way of Federal-aid highways; such as directing traffic, investigating crashes, handling lane closures, obstructed roadways, and disasters within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway..."

We rarely do that sort of thing, and when we do, you can carry a cheapie compliant vest from your favorite hardware or big box and throw it
over whatever you are wearing.  If you're stuck working a corner for a prolonged period of time, you probably don't want all your gear on you anyway.

Otherwise I'm sticking with the SARMed for most ops.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2012, 12:40:00 AM
ANSI compliant vests are only required under the following circumstances:

"...anytime a  member's duties may place them within the right-of-way of Federal-aid highways; such as directing traffic, investigating crashes, handling lane closures, obstructed roadways, and disasters within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway..."

We rarely do that sort of thing, and when we do, you can carry a cheapie compliant vest from your favorite hardware or big box and throw it
over whatever you are wearing.  If you're stuck working a corner for a prolonged period of time, you probably don't want all your gear on you anyway.

Otherwise I'm sticking with the SARMed for most ops.

For 51 out of 52 wings that's what it is. For INWG, after 1 Oct 2012, ALL ground teams will wear Class II with no exceptions. So for my wing if you can't prove the vest is actually rated than you can't wear it as the outer layer.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ThatOneGuy

How exactly would one go around proving if the vest is rated as Class 2? I've looked at ANSI/ISEA 107-2004 for about an hour and the only requirements I have found is it must cover approx 775 square inches of background material, 201 square inches of reflective material used in conjunction on the garment, the minimum width of the reflective material (1.375 in) and the Minimum number of yards per
retroreflective material width (4 yds. of 1.375 in (35mm) width and/or 2.8 yds. of 2 in. (50mm) width), from what I have gathered, an orange MOLLE tac vest (or orange SARmed vest) with the necessary amount of orange and reflective striping would suffice as Class 2. From what I make of it at least...

Eclipse

There will be tags to that effect on the garment.

Very little made outside the last 3-4 years would be compliant.

http://www.hivissupply.com/store/news.cfm?nID=7F5941444C&track=Front%20Page%20News&trackFunctionNotes=ANSI%20Labels%20for%20High%20Visibility%20Clothing

"That Others May Zoom"

ThatOneGuy

So basically go check out if the SARmed vest has tags stating something like "ANZI Class 2 Complient" on the back, and if it is then good to go? If so, then off to troll the web for those  ;D And I would like to thank all of you very much for the input you have provided regarding my question.  :clap:

Eclipse

http://www.supplylinedirect.com/know-the-ansi-standard-for-safety-vests--hi-viz-clothing/?ARTICLE_ID=26&F_CATEGORY_ID=1

Some good info on vests - I suppose someone with a ruler could make the case that a legacy vest is compliant, based purely
on the reflective areas the average SARMed is, though as David said there are other parts to the standard as well, including breakaway strength
for certain applications.

And some info on the color:
This varies. There is some science, opinion, and trends on each.
Some studies indicate the florescent yellow green is more conspicuous during hours of low light, such as dusk and dawn. Yellow green is also known as a "pedestrian" color as indicated by school approach signs etc. This color is also a high contrast against traditional orange work zone devices such as traffic cones and construction signs. Conversely, orange may appear to show less dirt, and some reports indicate it fades a little less quickly. Orange is also traditionally known as "the" safety color in work zones. It has a high contrast to background foliage and trees where workers may be present. Local jurisdictions and corporate policies may require a particular color even though neither the Federal ruling nor ANSI/ISEA do not. Whichever color you choose, evaluate your workspaces and make a decision that best provides for the safety of the worker.

http://198.66.168.26/Products/SafetyApparel/Vests_FAQs.htm

"That Others May Zoom"

ThatOneGuy

So additional question for y'all:

Since it seems that painting a MOLLE vest (of the nessisary size) orange and adding the appropriate amount of reflictive material wouldn't satisfy the reqirements of the reg, does anyone know of a place I could find SARmed vests that ARE ANZI class 2 compliant? I'm currently checking out thevestguy for products. Something less than $150 would be nice.  8)

Thank you again  :)

davidsinn

Quote from: superLt1995 on February 05, 2012, 02:10:31 AM
So additional question for y'all:

Since it seems that painting a MOLLE vest (of the nessisary size) orange and adding the appropriate amount of reflictive material wouldn't satisfy the reqirements of the reg, does anyone know of a place I could find SARmed vests that ARE ANZI class 2 compliant? I'm currently checking out thevestguy for products. Something less than $150 would be nice.  8)

Thank you again  :)

Psst, it's ANSI not ANZI. ;) I haven't yet seen one that is truly Class II. The first person to make one will be a rich man.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ThatOneGuy

Haha whoops, I just realized that after I hit the post button.  :-[

SarDragon

Painting any garment in an attempt to change the color is not recommended. You will end up with a very stiff, very uncomfortable item. Look around. There are many certified items out there, at reasonable prices. I got my vest by mail order for about $20, shipped, and in 15+ quantities, they are just over $10 each, shipped.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ThatOneGuy

Probably a very good idea not to paint anything sir, I agree entirely. And the vests you speak of are they just regular vests, or vests that could fit 24 hour gear in them? I've found lots of vests that are ANSI 2 compliant, but very few that could hold all the 24 hour gear required. I'm thinking something like this: http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10367 or this http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10279 could work for a combo safety vest/24 hour pack that satisfies the reg requirements AND carrys all your gear!  ;D

SarDragon

Nope, mine is a simple compliant mesh vest, with one small pocket outside, and a medium pocket inside. I don't do GT stuff any more, so this vest meets my UDF and flight line requirements.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I have an orange harness for my gear (TrueNorth AeroVest). I plan to continue using that in a harness configuration whenever possible. If at some point safety gives me grief, I can convert it into leg pouches and put on the ANSI II vest I carry in my go-bag. That scenario makes water more complicated but is still doable. I think you can get the pouches alone for about $$50/ea and adding a standard vest on top will keep you legal. You could even get some MOLLE type leg harnesses and do it too, all while keeping the safety folks happy.

You could take a look at this, though it's pretty pricey: http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10367

Overall, I'm not sweating the change too much (because I plan on continuing on business as usual). I'm sick of wings making up requirements on top of other requirements put out by NHQ (like what Capt. Sinn pointed out), but until someone asks my opinion I will keep on moving.

ThatOneGuy

I've heard a lot of good things about that setup you posted there (the TrueNorth Aero Vest), looks like a very sweet rig. And I have seen that vest before, it was one of the ones I was actually looking at seriously. It's a vest, so 72 hour gear would be no sweat, it's pretty even distribution and ANSI 2 compliant.

I would like to thank you all for your imput on this thread, it has been very valuable and probably stopped me from spending more money than is reasonable.  :clap:

So as for SARmed type vests online, I have so far found this: http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10279 and this http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10367
Either seem like a good choice that would both serve as a 24 hour carrying tool and the safety vest?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: superLt1995 on February 05, 2012, 07:05:25 AM
ANSI 2 compliant.

None of the literature I have read indicates that it's ANSI II compliant.

ThatOneGuy

You're right. I'll also email thevestguy asking for a certificate of compliance or something along the line for the two products, as they look pretty sweet but are pricey, so want to make sure they'd work before forking out the cash on them.

cap235629

I asked the vest guy and he said he will make any vest in his line ANSI II compliant.....for a price....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé