Main Menu

GT food

Started by thatonekid, May 24, 2011, 06:24:15 PM

thatonekid

I realise that there are other topics that address this question but I wanted to make one specifically about it to be more specific.
So, what kind of food/snacks would you recommend to carry in your 24 and/or 72 hour gear?
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

MRE's in your 24, though day-of sandwiches, etc., are fine, too.  It all depends on whether you intend to pack your gear and
forget it for "run-out" or throw your sandwich in for specific activities.

Same goes for 72, though for most, especially cadets, 72 hours worth of MRE's can be pretty pricey.  I had them packed for a couple of years
before I realized from experience that if and when I needed 72, I'd have advanced notice, and in 99% of the cases, meals would be provided
in long-term mission.  The one issue is that for most people MRE's can be difficult to obtain on a 1-2 days notice, so I usually have a case in the
basement I cycle through.

In the olde days, MRE's were like gold, but more recently, I've had trouble even giving them away.

I usually keep at least one MRE on my bike for when I am teaching, etc., for convenience, since some of our ranges are remote
from retail and someone always has to keep an eye on things.

There are also other options like heater meals, camping food, and even your local grocery store will have some interesting options like packets of tuna and other handy things, though the stuff from places like REI ain't cheap.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I carried trail mix, water, and an MRE or two.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I carry Hormel 90 second meals (they're fine cold) and trail mix from walmart.

HGjunkie

I'm an MRE pack-rat. That and some beef stew cans keep me full.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 24, 2011, 07:40:26 PM

You mean Hormel/Dinty Moore Dawg Food?  MM-MM-good.

I try to carry stuff that doesn't generate much trash.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: SarDragon on May 24, 2011, 09:16:18 PM

Yessir. Heat it up over a fire (or stove), and that's a tasty dinner/breakfast right there.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jks19714

Quote from: SarDragon on May 24, 2011, 09:16:18 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on May 24, 2011, 07:40:26 PM

I try to carry stuff that doesn't generate much trash.

Just slightly better than the Four Fingers of Death MRE!  http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3615
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

MIKE

^Hehe "Do not eat until Doomsday box."

Mike Johnston

ol'fido

If you get MREs, rat 'em out. IOW, go through them and keep the stuff you like and trash or trade off the rest. If you do this, you can usually get about a whole days meal in one pouch. A good bottle of hot sauce, some Ramen noodles, and boil-in-bag rice can provide some quick meals as well. I use to keep the main meal, the acc. packet, crackers, cheese, cocoa, kool-aid. The rest got trashed although I sometimes cut open the peanut butter, squirted a little bug juice on it and used it as a fire starter.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

manfredvonrichthofen

Spaghetti in a can, MREs, beef jerky, and sunflower seeds.

ol'fido

Another caution if you get MREs...If you don't use the chemical heaters and heat them up the old fashioned way by putting water in a canteen cup with the meal packet and putting it on a heat tab, fire, stove, etc. DO NOT use the water for soup or coffee or anything else that you consume.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NM SAR

I tend to 86 the MREs in favor of freeze-dried stuff and a small backpacking stove. (much lighter weight). typically, since I'm a poor college student, I don't buy the official backpacking meals from REI; instead I carry oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfast, ramen noodle soup and jerky for lunch and dinner, and trail mix.

a worthwhile investment if you're going to be getting a stove and going with dehydrated food is a dehydrator oven so you can make your own.

titanII

I don't do SAR, but I do go backpacking a lot so here's what I take then: oatmeal and/or granola bars for breakfast, sandwich (usually PB & J) and an apple for lunch the first day, some sort of high calorie, high protein bar for lunch the days following, and boil in bag rice with a packet of tuna and sole dried veggies thrown in for dinner. Also tons of trail mix and/or peanut M&M's as well as power bars for snacks. I don't know about you guys, but I usually kinda "graze" during the day, but just have something slightly larger around noon for lunch. And the tuna & rice not only tastes amazing after a long day tramping around (especially w/ soy sauce), but it's really nutritious. And fairly easy to cook for that matter. Just a backpacking stove, mess kit style pot, and water.
No longer active on CAP talk

Starlock

What Maj. Brust recommended:
MRE's
Crackers/peanut butter
Honey
Trail Mix

thatonekid

Honey? wouldnt that be a little messy?
C/MSgt Collins

Starlock

Not in small amounts. No messier than peanut butter and doesn't go bad!

thatonekid

True...I foresee mine getting all over my stuff though...
C/MSgt Collins

a2capt

Nothing like bee barf in the morning! ;-)
Thats nothing, tough. just think about where milk comes from!

thatonekid

I was really just thinking about the stickiness but yeah...
C/MSgt Collins

Al Sayre

Quote from: a2capt on May 28, 2011, 12:03:30 AM
Nothing like bee barf in the morning! ;-)
Thats nothing, tough. just think about where milk comes from!

If your worried about that then I'll bet you don't eat eggs or drink water either...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

sneakers

I carry just a few MREs in my pack.