Communications Aid Software

Started by jks19714, May 05, 2011, 02:07:38 PM

jks19714

I am searching for a communications logging software package suitable for SAR mission support. 

Our commo operations tend to be physically separated from the incident staff - sometimes a floor away, sometimes several blocks.  I would like to eliminate the current voice transfer of ground and air team status with a computer application which we can "stream" on a large screen (projector or large LCD monitor).  It would be really nice if the application would pop up reminders for overdue checkins and permit multi-operator ops as well.

Has anyone seen such an application within CAP?

Thanks,
john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

jks19714

Looks like I need to play with IMU a bit.  I've heard of it, but never seen it run.

I did buy some 900 MHz Wireless LAN radios (Ubiquiti LocoM9) to back-haul an IP link from our radio vehicle to the command post.  I'm also planning to setup a pair of "red phones" over the link to try to break our dependency upon ISR radios.

Thanks,
john
Diamond Flight 88

Larry Mangum

IMU = need for a full-time IT guy. Seriously, Nevada wing probably uses the program better then even Oregon Wing does (Pete Anderson, home wing) and they utilize a full time IT guy just to keep it running during their distributed exercises and missions.  I believe Oregon does the same as well.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jks19714

Quote from: Larry Mangum on May 05, 2011, 02:40:30 PM
IMU = need for a full-time IT guy. Seriously, Nevada wing probably uses the program better then even Oregon Wing does (Pete Anderson, home wing) and they utilize a full time IT guy just to keep it running during their distributed exercises and missions.  I believe Oregon does the same as well.

I had heard that.  We have a couple of new IT/Commo guys in our Wing now (I am one of them), so it might be doable.  We're currently engaged in refurbishing the Wing's Mobile Command Center with a new network and new PCs.

It would be nice if there was something more simple to use as a "half-way" step.

Thanks,
john
Diamond Flight 88

EmergencyManager6

Agreed.  Every time IMU was deployed in my Wing on a large deployment without a dedicated knowledgable IT team, it failed!

If using more than a few machines on the same WLAN, we saw many many packet collisions, and IMU froze!  Definatly need to look into a more professional network setup than the average 'Linksys' home WLAN router.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

EmergencyManager6

how about running an Instant Messenger app and server on your local network.

OpenFire IM Server works great, and is free!

Eclipse

IM's don't generally keep good logs or have formatting capability.

With Gdocs, you could recreate the standard log format, share it to anyone who needs it, publish it and archive it for perpetuity, etc.
The docs itself, along with the ability to edit it would be available on anything with a browser including mobile devices.

The recently upgraded apps have about 95% of the full functionality and same user experience as Office or Open Office, and 99.9% of the need for the average CAP user or ICP.

"That Others May Zoom"

EmergencyManager6

Assuming you have internet access.

Openfire can run in a LAN, and has extensive logging capability.  as well as preformatted messages.

If you have internet access GDocs would be the best bet.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on May 05, 2011, 03:33:04 PM
Assuming you have internet access.

Openfire can run in a LAN, and has extensive logging capability.  as well as preformatted messages.

If you have internet access GDocs would be the best bet.

Why are you setting up an ICP without internet access? I used to be a hardliner on being able to do things without it but NIMS principles require ICPs to be somewhere with infrastructure support and my wing in particular is pretty adamant about having internet access to release & log sorties via WMIRS.

jks19714

I would greatly prefer to do this without using the Internet.  While it is necessary to have access to WMIRS, our basic minute-to-minute ops should not be dependent on it.  The recent "burp" of the Google infrastructure should serve as an object lesson.

I could install an XMPP server like OpenFire, but I don't believe that it has satisfactory loggin facilities.

Might be time for me to dust-off my copy of Visual Studio and bang out a small app...  Or maybe I should hit the DRMO in search of a pair of Model 28 Teletypes.  ;D

john
Diamond Flight 88

jeders

CAPSTAR

TXWG has been using CAPSTAR for exactly this for a couple of years now. CAPSTAR pulls sortie data from WMIRS and tracks the sortie from initial creation through briefing and release before it goes to the Comm section. From there it tracks radio check, wheels up/down, in/out grid, RTB with a color coded grid system that can be displayed with an internet connected computer and a projector. At 30 minutes past contact the sortie turns yellow, and at 45 minutes it turns red. This lets the IC know in real time who is and is not in contact. Every time contact is made with a sortie for any reason, the comm folks upgrade the grid with the click of one button thus allowing for a dynamic reporting system so you won't have 30 people trying to report at once.

Worried about loss of internet? The developer of CAPERS/CAPSTAR have already created back up servers for the system. I believe, though I'm not 100% positive, that they have also created stand alone servers that can be used at an ICP without the need for internet.

Additionally, Maj Gen Courter was recently briefed on this system at the TXWG Conference as several wings surrounding Texas have already begun the process of adopting CAPERS.

EDIT: I forgot to add this last bit. It is possible to update internet connected CAPSTAR Comm logs with email or text messaging. This is especially helpful for GTs operating in an area with poor voice communication capabilities and no high bird. a text message can get through to the system when a radio or voice cell signal will not.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

EmergencyManager6

Were in NIMS does it require internet access?  Please site

What if your in a disaster area with no internet?  So no internet = no mission?

What if we have a catastrophic event and no internet for miles?

What if your ISP has a disruption of service?

jeders

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on May 05, 2011, 04:18:36 PM

NIMS doesn't require internet exactly, but one of the basic guidelines for setting up an ICP is to place it in an area where you have access to stable infrastructure. This may mean that your ICP is 100 miles away from the disaster, that's why staging areas, bases, and camps are placed near the disaster area, not the ICP.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

Here's a mock-up of something I could do. This would be the streaming screen, plus air sorties. Another interface would give access to contact logs, sortie entry, etc. This would be web-based PHP/MySQL and could be run remotely or on a machine at mission base when paired with Uniform Server or some other LAMP server.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5478916/status/status.htm

If you guys really want something like this I would consider seeing what I could do. There's just so much else out there for this that I'm concerned about duplicating functionality.

jks19714

Do you have a contact for CAPSTAR? I came across that system yesterday on a CAP Incident Commanders website. 

If it is hostable on a small Linux box, it might be just the ticket.  Perhaps I could "appliance it" on a small mini-ITX platform with solid state disk if it's written using PHP, PERL or the like.  Something without moving parts!

john
Diamond Flight 88

Spaceman3750

Then you fall back on to paper and UHF/VHF simplex - but that's the exception, not the norm. Like I said, I used to be just like you, but I think that if you're setting up an ICP without infrastructure support you're not being as effective as you could be. In the catastrophic event you describe there's going to be large incident command centers or other EOC-type facilities set up to run the incident that are going to have these capabilities even in a catastrophe. Get into that space and you'll be fine, IMHO.

jeders

davidsinn

So no internet = no mission?

Yep. Unless you can get into WMIRS airplanes do not fly.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn