LMGTFY Button Addition Comments

Started by a2capt, January 28, 2011, 04:33:27 PM

a2capt

I must say I'm a bit surprised at the addition of this new button to the message editor.

Especially since a majority of the posts in which that 'service' is used, tend to be in a snarky snotty way or at least borderline CT CoC violations - and making this available is along the lines of condoning the violation.

Not everyone possesses the same 'Google-fu' abilities for every phrase, function or thought. When the first reply out of the gate is one of:

"Why did you start a new thread?!?!?", "Why didn't you use the search function??", "We discussed this already,(( 27 times since 2005), where were you!?!)", etc.

The forum itself nags when necro posting, yet there are times when it's appropriate. The auto-nagging may cause a new thread to be opened and the first comment is "you didn't use the search function!!!"

Not everyone thinks the same way, and not every search function is as flexible or telling. Sometimes I do find it easier to search a particular forum with Google's site:function rather than the inbuilt search that seems to return random results or be skewed by the order of the words given.

Unless there is standard nomenclature for thread titles it's practically impossible to say to everyone "use the search" and be 100% correct that they will find it.

But to me, adding the LMGTFY function, while it is probably meant in good humor, is nothing more than encouragement of the kind of abuse it tends to bring.

JeffDG

[lmgtfy]CAPTALK.Net Terms of Service violations[/lmgtfy]

Sorry, couldn't resist!   >:D

jeders

Interesting, the first two results are for wikipedia articles, and the third is for the thread on Maj Winters passing away. If nothing else, it gave me a little chuckle though, and that's always welcome.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Okay, yeah. Funny ;) - No, really. I almost did a live example myself, in my post.

..and due to the volatile, dynamic and just plain voodoo nature of google results, now the result is opposite of your findings.

Which brings further point to my comment, that I've seen elsewhere, "It's right there!!! It's the FIRST LINK ON GOOGLE!! can't you not see that!!?!?!" (and it's now ranked less because of the aforementioned factors and the number of times it's been fetched, from the referred link that fetched it, etc.)

rmcmanus

Forgive my ignorance but what does "LMGTFY" mean?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

a2capt

..and in my warped mind:

FTW! LOL.. D'oh!

Shotgun