Main Menu

The CAP Android Thread

Started by Spaceman3750, December 11, 2010, 02:38:38 AM

Spaceman3750

So I've been thinking over the last few days how interesting it would be to try my hand at mobile development. I explored the various platforms... First I looked at iOS due to the sheer market volume, but discovered that it is founded in C and I don't feel like learning a new language. I like the idea of using JavaScript/HTML/CSS as with WebOS, but it just doesn't have a broad enough user base to justify my time. Then I discovered that Android has its roots in Java. Having a couple of college Java classes under my belt with more on tap in the next year or so, I said "Hey, with enough coffee and patience I can do this!". But I didn't have a problem to solve with an app. Therefore, my efforts would have been effectively wasted.

So now I pose this question to the Android users of this board: what do you use your Android device for with CAP and how could it be improved? Of course, I don't know the first thing about mobile development but I'm sort of looking for something useful that I could use to learn.

EDIT - I'm also open to the idea of a web app. I have a functional knowledge of procedural PHP and could stand to learn some Web 2.0 skills to add a dash of "shiney".

Eclipse

((*stretches*)) Ahhh....so much more "open" in here!

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Yeah, but there's no quality control in here, so instead of GoodAppA, RunsOKB, and ApprovedAppC, you have GoodAppA, CrashesAppB (also known as "Netflix for iPhone"), and RiffRaffC >:D.

HGjunkie

Yay, Andriod!

How about an app that has all the UPDATED regs, an UPDATED ribbon rack builder, and a CAP news feed direct from NHQ.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JeffDG

Aside from all the os measuring going on...

An app that would be really handy would be a log-app.  Something that an Observer could use to log items for the flight, with the built-in GPS, the entries could be automagically time and location stamped for where they were entered, and all without a reliable cell-connection.

At the end, the log could be rolled up into a CSV or something and e-mailed to the mission base for use during debriefing.

JWilson

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 11, 2010, 01:31:45 PM
Yay, Andriod!

How about an app that has all the UPDATED regs, an UPDATED ribbon rack builder, and a CAP news feed direct from NHQ.
:clap:

JWilson

Quote from: JeffDG on December 11, 2010, 03:34:35 PM

An app that would be really handy would be a log-app.  Something that an Observer could use to log items for the flight, with the built-in GPS, the entries could be automagically time and location stamped for where they were entered, and all without a reliable cell-connection.

At the end, the log could be rolled up into a CSV or something and e-mailed to the mission base for use during debriefing.
I like this

commando1

How about a SQTR app? Fill it in in person with date/CAP ID number etc...? 8)
Non Timebo Mala

Spaceman3750

Quote from: commando1 on December 12, 2010, 09:00:13 PM
How about a SQTR app? Fill it in in person with date/CAP ID number etc...? 8)

I'm not sure exactly how to interface with MIMS on that one. I do like the log app idea, and I might read up on how to pull it off.

MikeD

Quote from: JWilson on December 12, 2010, 03:30:21 AM

I like this

How about for anyone that needs to maintain a log, would be cool for UDF, or GTM if in range of a tower.  At least the Droid 1 has had issues getting a GPS lock without a cell signal to start with.  This is doable, would you want a drop-down of common events plus an "other" entry that lets you enter any freeform text.  Would be really awesome with speech to text in it.  The biggest issue is particular phones working with GPS without a cell signal.  The coding part doesn't seem particularly hard. 

I'd also like to see an app that overlays the CAP grid on Google Maps.  I also don't think that this one is that hard.  I might need to dust off my Java soon...

IceNine

The log idea is very swish.  But, that could VERY easily be accomplished w/ a docs form.  That would auto populate in real time a spreadsheet at the base.  Of course there are concerns for aircraft to consider.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Spaceman3750

Quote from: MikeD on January 18, 2011, 06:23:35 AM
Quote from: JWilson on December 12, 2010, 03:30:21 AM

I like this
I'd also like to see an app that overlays the CAP grid on Google Maps.  I also don't think that this one is that hard.  I might need to dust off my Java soon...

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=12081.0

Also, Google Maps uses a JavaScript API, not Java.