A fatal accodent 38 years ago offers lessons valid today

Started by Live2Learn, July 08, 2016, 06:06:36 AM

Live2Learn

http://airfactsjournal.com/2016/07/survived-airplane-crash-heres-learned/

This is a pretty good read with several take home messages.  Some additional suggestions are offered by commenters. 

grunt82abn

Nice article!!! We talked about accidents and crashes similar to this all semester long in my aviation safety class.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

NIN

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 08, 2016, 07:16:17 PM
Nice article!!! We talked about accidents and crashes similar to this all semester long in my aviation safety class.

I live not far from where that accident occurred.  Johnson Mountain is in the Ossipee Range, a small circular cluster of hills (can't really call them mountains, they're not that high) just north of Lake Winnepesaukee, and if you on the wrong side of it, you're pretty good distance from anything. As the author stated, he was about 3 miles from civilization, which is nothing when you're not sporting compound fractures of your ankles.

People laugh and point when we talk about our mountains here (we do have them), but the first error is underestimating the terrain. One of our mountains will rise up and smite you just as well as a 10,000 footer in Colorado. And if you're not equipped, you could be toast.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

grunt82abn

Quote from: NIN on July 08, 2016, 08:00:32 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on July 08, 2016, 07:16:17 PM

I live not far from where that accident occurred.  Johnson Mountain is in the Ossipee Range, a small circular cluster of hills (can't really call them mountains, they're not that high) just north of Lake Winnepesaukee, and if you on the wrong side of it, you're pretty good distance from anything. As the author stated, he was about 3 miles from civilization, which is nothing when you're not sporting compound fractures of your ankles.

People laugh and point when we talk about our mountains here (we do have them), but the first error is underestimating the terrain. One of our mountains will rise up and smite you just as well as a 10,000 footer in Colorado. And if you're not equipped, you could be toast.

People rarely believe that many areas would cause problems until they're in trouble. You make a very valid point, one I wish more people would take into account whether they are flying, hiking, biking, or just out and about walking around. Doesn't take Mountain Ranges or back country forests to get into trouble.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present