After 5 Powered O-Flights

Started by Cms.sloane, May 23, 2010, 04:28:05 AM

Cms.sloane

I just completed my 5th O-Flight for powered aircraft. I know that you get your glider pilot wings for gliders, so you get wings for powered aircraft to?

lordmonar

Who told you....you get glider wings for your glider O-rides?  >:(

All you get is the experince of having completed all your O-rides.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cms.sloane

Sir,

A fellow cadet who had glider wings told me that he had earned them by doing all of his glider o rides.

a2capt

That other cadet is either sorely mistaken, has been lead wrongly by leadership, or you mis-understood them to say that they actually soloed, or even possess an FAA certificate for glider flight - earned by completing *lots* of flights.

But the only thing you get for O-rides is a printed certificate, and recording in your Cadet permanent record.

PA Guy

Quote from: Cms.sloane on May 23, 2010, 07:25:58 AM
Sir,

A fellow cadet who had glider wings told me that he had earned them by doing all of his glider o rides.

Where do people get this stuff?  Read the regs they are your friend:  www.capmembers.com/media/cms/u_082203095100.pdf

A sqdn, group or wing can not change those requirements so don't fall for the, "well that's the way we do it in our squadron".

SarDragon

Cadet Sloane, look at the top of the page. There's a place that looks like this:

"Hey, Cms.sloane, you have [a number] messages, [a smaller number] are new."

Click the word messages, and then read them.   Replies might also be appropriate.            
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cms.sloane

Then how would a cadet get his wings for gliders or powered. I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to till your a senior. Would that be correct.

capchiro

No, you don't need to be a senior to earn wings.  A cadet can get glider pre-solo wings if they complete the requirements for same, usually at a summer glider flight encampment.  They can get solo wings the same way.  You can probably do the same at powered flight encampment.  After you complete your 5 O flights, you get a certificate, but no wings.  Now, for some good news, you can still get back seat flights everytime you get a chance.  No limit on those.  Just let O flight pilots know you are interested and want to fly.  Congratulations on completing your O flights.  Check into a flight scholarship so you can start your flight traiing for real..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

To get powered wings you must by a legal pilot and complete a Form 5 check ride.

Cadets must be 18 to do a form 5.

CAP pilot wings, at any level, require that you are actually flying the aircraft.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Siiiiiiiigh.  Can you believe it.  Somewhere in CAP there is a squadron full of  14 yr old cadets with pilot wings.

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 23, 2010, 03:37:32 PM
Siiiiiiiigh.  Can you believe it.  Somewhere in CAP there is a squadron full of  14 yr old cadets with pilot wings.

Worse, when Cadet Sloane brings this plate of reality sandwiches to the unit, it'll somehow be his "fault" all these cadets have to take off their shiny badges, most to never wear them again.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I would certainly hope the Senior leadership comes with sincerely apologies to the cadets for being mistaken and that nothing comes back on the cadet who decided to do some research. Seniors make mistakes.  But to be so far removed from CAP that you just start handing out pilot wings is pretty wild.  Funny how it trickles down hill.  Because we have possibly several cadets who followed their lead and never bothered to look either. 

Cms...just out of curiosity, how many cadets in your unit have wings?  So do the members in your unit think that all the seniors wearing wings got them by doing O-Rides also?

BlueLakes1

Quote from: Eclipse on May 23, 2010, 03:02:13 PM
Cadets must be 18 to do a form 5.

Negative, one need only hold an FAA Private Pilot certificate to do a Form 5; there is no age restriction other than the FAA minimum age.

That being said, one must be 18 to be a Mission Pilot, and 21 or a CFI to be an O-ride pilot.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

a2capt

I have some concern about what might possibly be going on in a particular unit ..

Of course, we can only go by what we read here:

Wings, for O-Rides?
..cadet wanting advice on how to sneak food into encampment. (It's not like they starve you there, like it's SERE school or anything)
..cadet indicating that things are settled "fist to face" and not by debate, reason or common sense. (search for that phrase)

What is really going on?

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on May 24, 2010, 12:05:59 AM
What is really going on?

My guess would be very little, and uneven leadership.

FYI - wiki says 16 to be a student pilot in a powered airplane, 14 in a glider.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

My daughter got her Students Pilot License at 16 in the Spring 2009 (groundschool, leftseat, test and physical).  She solo'd that summer in Alaska.  She turned 17 in the Fall and just needs to complete her cross country and her check ride. She's got a boatload of time in the left seat, plus has flown a number of different airframes.

This is the correct way.

An "O" ride is exactly that.. orientation from the right seat. 

JayT

I have some concern about what might possibly be going on in a particular unit ..

Wings, for O-Rides?
..cadet wanting advice on how to sneak food into encampment. (It's not like they starve you there, like it's SERE school or anything)
..cadet indicating that things are settled "fist to face" and not by debate, reason or common sense. (search for that phrase)

What is really going on?

Don't forget it was a 'CMS' who said all this too.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DC

HGjunkie

that CAP has a unit that hands out wings like this.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Fly Boy

Seeing as I had to WORK, SCRAPING Pigeon feces in the hot, humid Florida weather, to pay for my flight lessons, I'm not going to say anything more.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

DakRadz

Quote from: JThemann on June 05, 2010, 07:12:45 PM
Don't forget it was a 'CMS' who said all this too.

Those are his initials, thank heavens..

Wings, for O-Rides?

What is really going on?

I can't speak for Cobb County, but all of GAWG isn't like this. And judging by the amount of command attention Cobb received this year which *I'M* aware of (often hosting activities), I think this cadet is perhaps overzealous and/or idiotically immature.

The food deal, I can see many cadets thinking that (happened at a JROTC camp- they [well, Gunny] nicknamed him "Pop-Tart")- Sloane just went to far with putting it on the web/asking at all. Plus the encampment CC seeing it XD

I have NEVER settled anything "fist to face", and I'm GAWG. But that was pretty obvious anyway.

CCAlex

I wish i could find this unit :'(

SarDragon

Quote from: CCAlex on July 28, 2010, 04:35:10 AM
I wish i could find this unit :'(

What on Earth for? It's a REALLY long commute from CA.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CCAlex

that's very true since the wings they give out aren't legit anyways.

Rafael

I think going to the Glider Academy for getting the solo or pre-solo wings.

DakRadz

Seriously, this needs to die.

Rafael- any cadet can get solo wings if they complete a check ride and such in a CAP aircraft. They must already have a PPL to do this.

Pre-solo wings of any sort require going to a National Flight Academy (NFA).

I know. I looked it up when I first joined >:D

ßτε

Quote from: DakRadz on August 03, 2010, 02:29:51 AM
- any cadet can get solo wings if they complete a check ride and such in a CAP aircraft. They must already have a PPL to do this.
You are mistaken. See CAPR 60-1 para. 3-7a.
If a cadet with a PPL completes a check ride, they earn CAP Pilot wings, not solo wings.

Quote from: DakRadz on August 03, 2010, 02:29:51 AM
Pre-solo wings of any sort require going to a National Flight Academy (NFA).

I know. I looked it up when I first joined >:D
Note that CAPR 60-1 no longer has reference to pre-solo wings.

DakRadz

Correct. My mistake, it's too late for me.

Solo wings require that your log book shows you have soloed in an aircraft. I still haven't referenced the regs, so I'm not sure if you have to have a certain number, but I believe it's just when your log book says you have successfully soloed.

Pre-solo wings were in the reg last time I looked at it (months). They did indeed require NFA attendance, and were basically ground school wings (being that you didn't solo) for cadets who had the solo know-how, without the chance to solo.

Credit for correction to SarDragon.

SarDragon

The requirement for pre-solo wings was to accomplish all solo tasks unassisted, with the CFI in the plane. This had to be done at an NFA. It was a consolation prize for those attendees who didn't have the opportunity to solo, who were otherwise qualified.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tsrup

Quote from: DakRadz on August 03, 2010, 02:44:38 AM

Solo wings require that your log book shows you have soloed in an aircraft. I still haven't referenced the regs, so I'm not sure if you have to have a certain number, but I believe it's just when your log book says you have successfully soloed.

That and and the endorsement on the student pilot certificate. 

Otherwise thats just a whole 'nother can of worms.   :o
Paramedic
hang-around.

Cms.sloane

Just to clearify with everbody, Cobb Composite Squadron is not like this. We don't just pass out wings like it is a free sale. At the point in which I posted this I was a brand new basic. I didn't know anything really. Hint hint the past post about COWG and the fist to fist.

To be honest ant those points in my life I was real immature. I am now a NCO and use learned a great deal of leadership and matureity :). I had sen many cadets with the glider wings and wing events and was just wondering how you get them.

Also Cobb has been geting a whole bunch of attention this year for hosting events. I helped or came up and organized most of those events. Just a small side note.

tsrup

Quote from: Cms.sloane on August 03, 2010, 03:51:37 AM
At the point in which I posted this I was a brand new basic.

To be honest ant those points in my life I was real immature. I am now a NCO and use learned a great deal of leadership and matureity :).

OP
After 5 Powered O-Flights
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »

Been a long few months yes?

Basic to NCO in less than 3 months?

edit: not impossible, basic, next day a1c, next month Sra, next month NCO.

assuming JROTC.

its all needless nitpicking anyways, back to the OT. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

SarDragon

I was going to jump on that, too, but figured out that it takes at least a couple of months to get in five glider O-rides.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cms.sloane

I'm a senior airman in CAP ( I promote to staff sergent in a week). I hold a DDR postion and flight sergent postion. I hold those because I'm good at what I do.

In NJROTC I am a master cheif petty office. I hold that because I'm also good at hat I do.

So could people stop bashing me on everything I do. If you really have a issue or problem with me then send me a pm and were talk in private. ( this is said with all due respect to seniors and   Officers).

ßτε

Quote from: tsrup on August 03, 2010, 03:11:03 AM

And the endorsement must be from a CAP Instructor Pilot.

tsrup

Quote from: bte on August 03, 2010, 12:25:46 PM

concur
Paramedic
hang-around.

viperred396

Quote from: tsrup on August 03, 2010, 07:08:09 PM

concur

cite reg?

tsrup

Quote from: viperred396 on August 03, 2010, 09:17:16 PM
Quote from: tsrup on August 03, 2010, 07:08:09 PM

concur

cite reg?

CAPR 60-1
Section 3-7
3-7. Classification of CAP Pilots. CAP pilots may operate a CAP aircraft according to the classification of their experience and skills as follows:
a.   CAP Solo Pilot. (1)   Possess a current student pilot certificate with solo endorsements in accordance
with 14 CFR Part 61 from a CAP Instructor Pilot in the make and model aircraft flown.
Paramedic
hang-around.

tsrup

and to nip the next question in the bud, here's this too:

From CAPR 35-6

1.   Aeronautical Ratings and Requirements. Requirements for CAP-member aeronautical ratings are:
a.   CAP Cadet Pre-solo Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1.
b.   CAP Solo Pilot Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1.
Paramedic
hang-around.

viperred396

Quote from: tsrup on August 03, 2010, 09:34:57 PM
and to nip the next question in the bud, here's this too:

From CAPR 35-6

1.   Aeronautical Ratings and Requirements. Requirements for CAP-member aeronautical ratings are:
a.   CAP Cadet Pre-solo Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1.
b.   CAP Solo Pilot Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1.

So does that mean that if someone learned to fly outside of CAP and soloed then they could not wear the wings until a CAP Instructor Pilot authorized it

tsrup

Yes.

Simply, unless they receive their solo endorsement by a CAP instructor, they cannot fly a CAP aircraft, and therefore are not CAP solo-pilots.  So no wings.

Try searching the regs next time, these were both really easy to find. 

Paramedic
hang-around.