Upcoming ONLINE Wing/Region conferences

Started by JC004, May 05, 2020, 04:58:32 AM

JC004

If you need conference attendance for
- your Professional Development (senior members only, for Level III),
- for a Specialty Track (also only senior members; depending on the specialty track as to which seminar you must attend),
- to earn your Communications Badge and Patch (Cadets);
- or just to improve your knowledge of CAP, the following are open ONLINE to all CAP members.

These are online FREE and you don't have to go anywhere.

SD Wing:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sd-wing-virtual-conference-2020-tickets-102541821348

North Central Region/KS Wing:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-north-central-region-and-kansas-wing-conference-tickets-87420361655

For Senior Members wishing to check whether their specialty track requires a conference seminar (Communications is one example), consult the specialty track training guide for your specialty here:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/publications/pamphlets-1702

Jester

Kentucky Wing is running a virtual NCO Conference for current CAP NCOs on 30 May.

TheSkyHornet

Is this something that is assured to be accepted for PD credit?

GroundHawg

Quote from: Jester on May 05, 2020, 08:23:32 PMKentucky Wing is running a virtual NCO Conference for current CAP NCOs on 30 May.

Can the server handle all that traffic?!

NIN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 05, 2020, 08:28:10 PMIs this something that is assured to be accepted for PD credit?

Who certifies whether any conference meets the requirements?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2020, 12:20:58 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 05, 2020, 08:28:10 PMIs this something that is assured to be accepted for PD credit?

Who certifies whether any conference meets the requirements?

Good point.

This just seems as one of those unprecedented eras where we're moving virtually everything to virtual.

I just don't want to see NHQ come back later and go "Hang on a sec...that doesn't count." That's happened before with wings when holding conferences with professional development courses (SLS, etc.) and not casual breakout sessions/non-PD workshops.

NIN

I personally haven't seen a conference "credit" turned down due to content, but I suppose it could easily happen.

Look at it like this: In a "normal" conference, you usually have a "general assembly," followed by multiple breakout sessions. Sometimes 4 or 5 different hour-ish-ly sessions. Different "tracks" you can follow, different subjects, etc.  So figure the expectation is you attend a general assembly and then 4 or 5 seminars out of potentially 20+ offered (4 rooms each hour, 5 blocks thru the day)

I've never been to a conference that tracked who was in what session, or how many sessions an attendee went to, but I suppose that could happen as well.  But in theory, a member could show up, get their conference package and then sit in the lobby of the hotel and kibitz with their buddies after the general assembly and still get credited for being there.

In a few ways, a virtual conference could actually be a little more "useful" from a member standpoint than an in-person one.

• No need to offer multiple concurrent seminars, a la "different rooms." You could offer the seminar a night several nights a week, or a few on a Saturday sequentially, and people don't have to say "Man, I really wanted to go to Cadet Programs News and Innovations, but thats at the same time as The History Of Coastal Patrol Base 3, and I really want to see that too.."
  • The ability to see a seminar "asynchronously" via recording. Not that you'd want to do an entirely pre-recorded conference and rely on people watching a video, but it could help some folks who have a weird conflict for one session.
  • You can say say something like "attend the general assembly session, and then 5 of any of the 20 different seminars offered over the next two weeks." Presenters screenshot their attendee list at 5 minutes after the start of the presentation, and again at the end.  Stayed for the whole thing, you get credit.
  • You could offer some popular seminars multiple times if the presenter is willing. Reduces conflicts
  • Spread out over the course of a week or two (1-2 seminars available each evening, say one at 1900 and another at 2000) with 3-4 seminars offered on a Saturday AM, its not hard to think that a member could get "GA plus 5" in that time frame

Admittedly, you miss much of the ancillary benefits of a conference: facetime with the boss or your functional area folks, networking with folks from other units, but you'd still get a little. Just not a lot.

But if you can essentially meet the same basic contact hrs and diversity of subject that an in-person conference can offer, as a commander I wouldn't have too much of a problem, considering all the other operational restrictions we have in place right now, saying "If you do X, Y & Z, you get conference credit for 2020.." 

(Don't get me started on the frequent demand to hold "entire day" training sessions at a wing or region conference. That's not the purpose of that type of event and never has been. But every year we hear "Can we do UCC during Conference?" or "The ops team wants to have a 4 hour long pilots-only session." NVM all the pilots going "4 hours? What is this, a high bird bladder test?")
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2020, 01:27:36 PMI've never been to a conference that tracked who was in what session, or how many sessions an attendee went to,

True.  Our last Wing conference had just 'one' breakout session I wanted to attend. I showed up just in time to check-in and attend the session, and an hour later I was in the parking lot driving away.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2020, 01:27:36 PMI personally haven't seen a conference "credit" turned down due to content, but I suppose it could easily happen.

Look at it like this: In a "normal" conference, you usually have a "general assembly," followed by multiple breakout sessions. Sometimes 4 or 5 different hour-ish-ly sessions. Different "tracks" you can follow, different subjects, etc.  So figure the expectation is you attend a general assembly and then 4 or 5 seminars out of potentially 20+ offered (4 rooms each hour, 5 blocks thru the day)

I've never been to a conference that tracked who was in what session, or how many sessions an attendee went to, but I suppose that could happen as well.  But in theory, a member could show up, get their conference package and then sit in the lobby of the hotel and kibitz with their buddies after the general assembly and still get credited for being there.

In a few ways, a virtual conference could actually be a little more "useful" from a member standpoint than an in-person one.

• No need to offer multiple concurrent seminars, a la "different rooms." You could offer the seminar a night several nights a week, or a few on a Saturday sequentially, and people don't have to say "Man, I really wanted to go to Cadet Programs News and Innovations, but thats at the same time as The History Of Coastal Patrol Base 3, and I really want to see that too.."
  • The ability to see a seminar "asynchronously" via recording. Not that you'd want to do an entirely pre-recorded conference and rely on people watching a video, but it could help some folks who have a weird conflict for one session.
  • You can say say something like "attend the general assembly session, and then 5 of any of the 20 different seminars offered over the next two weeks." Presenters screenshot their attendee list at 5 minutes after the start of the presentation, and again at the end.  Stayed for the whole thing, you get credit.
  • You could offer some popular seminars multiple times if the presenter is willing. Reduces conflicts
  • Spread out over the course of a week or two (1-2 seminars available each evening, say one at 1900 and another at 2000) with 3-4 seminars offered on a Saturday AM, its not hard to think that a member could get "GA plus 5" in that time frame

Admittedly, you miss much of the ancillary benefits of a conference: facetime with the boss or your functional area folks, networking with folks from other units, but you'd still get a little. Just not a lot.

But if you can essentially meet the same basic contact hrs and diversity of subject that an in-person conference can offer, as a commander I wouldn't have too much of a problem, considering all the other operational restrictions we have in place right now, saying "If you do X, Y & Z, you get conference credit for 2020.." 

(Don't get me started on the frequent demand to hold "entire day" training sessions at a wing or region conference. That's not the purpose of that type of event and never has been. But every year we hear "Can we do UCC during Conference?" or "The ops team wants to have a 4 hour long pilots-only session." NVM all the pilots going "4 hours? What is this, a high bird bladder test?")

CAWG has those long, specialized sessions a day or two before the all hands conference starts, usually on Wednesday and Thursday. They are broken up into bladder-friendly segments.

Yes, it makes the event more expensive (room and food), but in the end, it keeps everyone happy. The pre-conference sessions are always well attended (Pilots, Comm, Operations, etc).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NIN on May 06, 2020, 01:27:36 PMI personally haven't seen a conference "credit" turned down due to content, but I suppose it could easily happen.

What I saw of the conference you and I attended last Spring, Darin, that was pretty on-par with what I was expecting of any conference. What our wing held this year was relatively similar.

But we did have previous conferences where they had people attend only the professional development portions (not any conference-y breakouts), and NHQ came down on it, or so as I understand the rumor mill. But it was talked about heavily on our last planning round as a "We will not have any PD courses, period." My interpretation of it was that a number of people had their conference credit rescinded because they attended a PD weekend and not a "conference." I think the whole requirement is nonsense to begin with; that's me.

I'm planning on "attending" the Kansas conference. Not that I get any extra credit for it; I already have mine.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 07, 2020, 02:14:41 PM

What I saw of the conference you and I attended last Spring, Darin, that was pretty on-par with what I was expecting of any conference. What our wing held this year was relatively similar.

But we did have previous conferences where they had people attend only the professional development portions (not any conference-y breakouts), and NHQ came down on it, or so as I understand the rumor mill. But it was talked about heavily on our last planning round as a "We will not have any PD courses, period." My interpretation of it was that a number of people had their conference credit rescinded because they attended a PD weekend and not a "conference." I think the whole requirement is nonsense to begin with; that's me.

I'm planning on "attending" the Kansas conference. Not that I get any extra credit for it; I already have mine.
I think I'll "attend" as well and not feel guilty about it at all. I've been to four National conferences, two Region conferences, and eight Wing conferences, as both attendee and presenter, without being given credit for any. I don't have any proof of having attended, as proof was neither required nor given at the time. (I even tried submitting affidavits from firmer Wing Commanders and Directors who were there with me - no dice).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

THRAWN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 07, 2020, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 07, 2020, 02:14:41 PM

I think I'll "attend" as well and not feel guilty about it at all. I've been to four National conferences, two Region conferences, and eight Wing conferences, as both attendee and presenter, without being given credit for any. I don't have any proof of having attended, as proof was neither required nor given at the time. (I even tried submitting affidavits from firmer Wing Commanders and Directors who were there with me - no dice).

Our wing personnel shop would publish a list of all attendees as a PA about a week after the event. Sign in, your name is on the list. I will never understand why this is such a difficult task to accomplish.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on May 07, 2020, 06:25:18 PMOur wing personnel shop would publish a list of all attendees as a PA about a week after the event. Sign in, your name is on the list. I will never understand why this is such a difficult task to accomplish.

It's not supposed to be, but since there is no prescription and no standard, there's also no
mandate (why isn't this an eservices module?), and PD shops are no better then any others in
regards to consistency and execution.

In far too many cases in the recent past, conferences and other PD were hard-pressed for staff,
and wound up being run by people who needed them personally for promotion or profession.  They
get theirs right away, and could care less about others. Members who don't realize they need to
substantiate participation years later, don't even think about it until they come to that block on the
F24 and realize they are stuck scrambling for a hotel receipt, photograph, or bar menu to prove they
were there.

And let's not forget the fact that for >ages< Wing Conferences were sold to cadets as counting towards
their Senior PD when the time came, only for NHQ to arbitrarily decide "just kidding" mid-stream, with
little concern for the members left by the side of the road.

I also can't count how many times over the years I've heard of members who "only attended the banquet",
or worse, just wrote a check and never showed, who received credit over the years.

In-face Conferences, like Tradeshows, have been on life support for a decade and 'Ronaworld
is likely the last nail (and I say that being peripherally involved in both).  My clients
who rely on these events are all pivoting to virtual meetings and seminars, and I guarantee
a lot of companies are not going to go back.

This situation is exposing a lot of "issues" in business, social, and government / military
scope, scale, and plan of operations, and boiling everything "important" down to Lowest Common Denominator,
while things "unimportant" are falling by the wayside.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Since these are virtual and free, could a "Friend of CAP/National Patron" attend as well?

I just want to see what a CAP Conference is about... but I don't want to take a virtual seat away from someone who really needs to attend.

Guidance from those in the know would be helpful.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

NIN

I don't think anybody would complain.. If there's capacity, and I can't imagine there's going to be problems with bumping up against the size of the facility, why not?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

CAPR 39-2, Page 18:

"4.2.1. Patron members may:"

"4.2.1.5. Attend wing and region conferences and the CAP National Conference sponsored
by National Headquarters."

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 07, 2020, 04:12:34 PMI think I'll "attend" as well and not feel guilty about it at all. I've been to four National conferences, two Region conferences, and eight Wing conferences, as both attendee and presenter, without being given credit for any. I don't have any proof of having attended, as proof was neither required nor given at the time. (I even tried submitting affidavits from firmer Wing Commanders and Directors who were there with me - no dice).

That must have been way back in the Dark Ages. Conference attendance has been a requirement since at least 1986. That was one of the items I needed to back fill in order to promote to Major. Every conference I've been to in CAWG has provided a participation letter or PA to document attendance.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

CAWG clearly has it's act together better then other wings in that regard.

I went to a conference that provided no substantiation, the wing PD people knew it,
and yet were still pushing back that they wanted people to prove they were there.

The icing was that at the last minute the organizers got into a huff with the Wing King and
quit the week of, and I wound up getting roped into being both a presenter and part of the
"just get it done" committee.

The back and forth didn't end until I was able to find a photo of me doing my presentation
with Gen Bowling in the audience.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

I totally agree. There should always be some form of documentation that formally identifies your attendance at an accredited function.

I've resorted to forwarding confirmation emails and notes/commentary from conference sessions to "prove" my attendance.

It's a seemingly simple concept with no standardization.

PHall

The use of programs like Event Brite and Event Rebels makes it much easier to document who has attended.
It's just another report you can request.