Using part-time CAP Aircraft

Started by RiseAbove, April 02, 2008, 01:16:24 AM

RiseAbove

Hey Ya'll,

(For those of you who had followed my previous topic about joining, I am currently waiting on hearing back from NHQ about my application :) )

My squadron (NER-MA-022) doesn't currently have any official CAP aircraft to it.  We do, however, have a "part-time" aircraft owned by one of the officers. 

Now, I don't want to sound selfish; but, apart from wanting to better my character and provide services to my community and nation, I also looked at CAP as a way to jumpstart a career in aviation (Air Force?)

So my questions are:
1.  Would it be worth my time attending any of the Mission Aircrew schools so I could become a Mission Pilot and fly the squad.'s airplane during missions?  Is CAP allowed to use "part-time" aircraft in that manner?

2.  If the answer to #1 is "No", what can "part-time" aircraft be used for?

3.  What are the odds of a "official" corporate CAP aircraft being assigned to the squadron?

Thanks,
Zach Tucker
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

MIKE

I don't think the odds/chances are good.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Use of POA (personally owned aircraft) is actively discouraged if not outright prohibited for CAP training and missions in most wings.

As to getting an airplane assigned, your unit has to have enough pilots to justify it, getting yourself crew qualified is the first step.

And whether or not you get an airplane, it goes without saying you can't participate if your aren't qual'ed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Privately owned airplanes are allowed for CAP missions - this includes training.   I am talking about usage where the owner is paid (fuel & a maintenance rate per hour) for the time the aircraft is flown.

It requires some paperwork by the owner prior to the event.  My C-182 is currently approved for CAP missions - and it was just re-approved last month.

Now the big question - will your wing approve the use of a privately owned aircraft on a specific mission?  That is something that varies wing by wing.   

Our wing has significantly cut back on using non-corporate aircraft over the last year.  It is a money thing - and they need to make sure we fully utilize the corporate aircraft.   I think we have seen a drop in the number of pilots since they can't use their own aircraft on all the training missions. 

We still have plenty of folks that fly Fm 5s and Fm 91s in their own airplanes - they just don't get reimbursed for it.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

FW

^There really isn't any "part time CAP aircraft" per say.  Member owned or provided aircraft can be used for CAP missions IF corporate assets are unavailable. This is the practice in NER and, I think, in most regions.  In MAWG, there should be enough aircraft relatively close enough for you to take advantage of; especially for training purposes.   I would suggest you get some help in finding a CAP instructor pilot near you.  Talk to your sq/cc for the assistance.  Learn the procedures and get your check ride in a Corp. owned Cessna (form 5).  Then, get mission qualified after you accumulated 200 hours (you need 175 for mission transport pilot).  This way would be much less expensive for you. And, in the long run, probably have a better experience with your training.

Of course, if the owner of the aircraft is a CFI, what you two do on your own time is your business.  Just make sure you have your own insurance. ;)

RiverAux

In my wing the only thing private aircraft are used for is occassionally to ferry people to SAREXs.  It has probably been 10 years or more since one was used for anything else on an actual mission.  The main problem is the lack of a radio with CAP frequencies that can be used so that mission base has positive control of the aircraft and for air-ground comm.  There are some work-arounds for those issues, but I very much doubt we'll see one flying a SAR mission anytime soon.  Perhaps for aerial photography, but thats about it. 

As to how much flying with CAP would jumpstart your aviation career, I'm not sure it will count for much in the short run. 

LtCol Hooligan

One thing I have always tried to do is separate the mission pilot stuff from all of the other flying we do in CAP.  I run a cadet squadron so I get maybe 1 or 2 pilots coming in every once in a while, but the thing I always find is they really confuse the mission skills from just getting certified to fly in CAP.  So, I try to break it out for them by having them get the basics done first-

1. Get level 1 done. 
2. Start working on getting formed 5ed and certified to just fly. 
3. If they have enough hours (200) get signed up for o'rides. 
4. Work on GES and become a TMP. 
5. Work on MS followed by MO and then finally working on being a MP. 

I find that if I help them just get in the air for doing regular flying and setting expectations that mission flying will come down the road it really helps to retain them.  It is tough to tell them that it will be a while before you are actually flying as a MP, but once you break it out they feel a lot less overwhelmed. 
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

RiseAbove

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great replies!  I've heard that you can't start any sort of flight training until you turn 16, if this is true, is there a way for you to start any preliminary training (or whatever it might be called) before your 16th b-day.  I'm simply trying to asses my options in CAP as I get older (I'll be turning 15 very soon).

Thanks
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

FW

Ah, 15 years old.  Well then, best thing to do, IMHO, is to enjoy your orientation flights, get involved in the glider program ASAP (you can solo at 14), and you can enjoy flight.  When you get close to 16, you can start powered flight training and solo when you are 16.  Just be patient and get accustom to life as a cadet.  Good things will follow. It's important to get involved in the whole program.   Cadet flight training is a reward for active participation and progress.  
Good luck in CAP.

RiseAbove

Thanks for all your answers, you've all been very helpful.

-Zach
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

LtCol Hooligan

I concur with taking advantage of your o'rides and getting involved with the glider program.  I am in ND, but I spy on MN Wing and I saw they occasionally offer ground schools.  That is another opportunity for you to jump on as well if you see them offered in your area.  From there, get your Mitchell and then look at taking advantage of Flight Academies offered both nationally and locally.  Once again, MN Wing offers a great flight program for both gliders and powered flights.  I have 2 cadets attending this summer for glider and 1 for powered.  I think it is an exciting opportunity for them and costs somewhere around $800.  If that is still a lot of money for your family, many services organizations offer scholarships (check with the VFW and clubs like them).  From there, start looking for flight instructors who are suckers for young aviation fans and see if they will help you continue on to your pilot qualifications.  Stop out and see them, offer to help out at their office, see if you can assist with washing their planes, above all get your name out there.  Networking young can get you into the group and people may take a liking to you and support you on your journey.  Just remember, no one is going to give you a free ride so hard work will reap good rewards!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Eclipse

Go for as many 99 rides as they will let you as well - the rear seat is just as high in the air as the front, you'll
still be enmeshed in flight culture, and it helps the wing's o-flight program as well.

"That Others May Zoom"