Glider program faltering?

Started by RiverAux, March 30, 2008, 07:30:10 PM

RiverAux

According to this memo on the FL wing web site http://flwg.us/publications/Glider%20Memorandum%20Final%20Feb%2008.pdf
QuoteNational totals over the past few years have shown a drop in the number of CAP glider flights. During a recent CAP national glider working group meeting several representatives stated they felt our units are not reporting all of the glider sorties that are actually being flown. This is where we need your help... We need to justify our current glider fleet and to do that we need to fly and report a higher number of flights per year.

So, now glider flights go in WMIRS.  If we have anyone involved in the glider program here, can you say whether actual glider flights have been going down, or is it a paperwork issue as implied by NHQ? 

Eclipse

My anecdotal opinion is that flights are down outside structured encampments and schools.

It has been a significant issue for us because generally you can't fly gliders in areas where thee is a lot
of other air traffic, which means that to start the gliders are out in the middle of nowhere, away form the cadets.

Then there is the issue of a tow-plane.  You can't generally station a powered airplane in the middle of nowhere for use only as a tow plane.

Then there is the issue that most glider operations have a club mentality, with eccentric personalities involved who may not be interested in the extra administrative overhead and rules with CAP flight operations.

We've had trouble just getting these guys to follow the rules, wear (some kind) or uniform, and not try and force our members to join their club or mow the lawn.

WMIRS?  These guys are not going to be interested.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

PAWG breaks out the two gliders for a one week period during a "glider school". 

There are two Officers running the whole glider school program, and they train upward of 12 students. 

Almost not even worth having the gliders to begin with.
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

NHWG has a glider stationed just over the border in VT.  During the warm weather it flies every weekend.  Last year our squadron went twice and brought 12 people with us each time - every cadet got to go.

The crew we have flies cadets from NH, VT and MA, they do a great job.  Word has it that they will be assigning another glider along the NH/ME border as well.  This summer there is going to be a glider academy held in the VT location.

We have a highly dedicated group of individuals that maintain the glider program up here.  WIWAC, I had the opportunity to fly in a glider once in 6 years.  So at least up here in NE the program is up and running full speed (when the glider isn't under the snow.)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JayT

I always kinda liked what the RAF ATC does with their glider program (scholarship based multi week long school.) But it would be totally impractical for CAP.

For NFA-Glider, where do they draw those gliders from?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

sparks

Flight academies typically get gliders from nearby wings, same goes for powered aircraft and tow planes. As Eclipse noted glider enthusiasts can be nonconforming when it comes to rules and uniforms, a challenge to be certain. My wing's glider activity has suffered in past years because of the weather's uncanny ability to pick glider weekends to go to crap. Unlike powered flight gliders need favorable VFR weather. Bouncing along with a student in a Blanik is a sure fire way to fill up those gallon zip lock "personal distress" bags. 

It's a good Aerospace activity that needs more funding from NHQ to prosper. 

lordmonar

We have glider O-rides every month here in Nevada.  But in the past we had problems with the aircraft maintenance and tow pilot qualifications....but that has more or less been solved.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tubacap

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 30, 2008, 09:12:46 PM
PAWG breaks out the two gliders for a one week period during a "glider school". 

There are two Officers running the whole glider school program, and they train upward of 12 students. 

Almost not even worth having the gliders to begin with.

Mikey, I just got in the Wing Mail that Glider flights would be available every weekend with prior arrangement with a POC listed.  If you need the POC, please email me, and I will PM you back.

My cadets really enjoy gliding and have never been to the Glider ENC, although I know the staff and they do a great job (I was going to say bang-up, but that's only during the landings that they do that  >:D)
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001