Database update for KLN89B GPS

Started by Frenchie, March 19, 2008, 03:58:01 PM

Frenchie

Does anyone else have a KLN89B that they are keeping the database updated?  We have a Jep account available to update the database in our plane, but no method to do so.

I'm thinking you need a proprietary cable (which we don't have) which connects to a connector which has to be installed and interfaced to the KLN89B.  I'm not sure if the connector has been installed in the plane.

Our KLN89B is at least a decent IFR GPS, but the database hasn't been updated since 2005, so obviously we can't use it for IFR.

Al Sayre

You wing DO or AMO should be able to help you out.  Our LG guy does ours every month...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Frenchie

CFI_Ed

It's a proprietary cable, and I'm told it's the same for the KLN90's.  We've been keeping the cable in the KLN89 airplanes so whenever the aircraft transfers to another squadron it can continue to be updated.   

Let me know if you need to borrow one and I'll work on it,  as the Oklahoma Wing is more than happy to support our brothers/sisters on the other side of the Red River. ;D
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Frenchie

Quote from: CFI_Ed on March 19, 2008, 05:20:55 PM
It's a proprietary cable, and I'm told it's the same for the KLN90's.  We've been keeping the cable in the KLN89 airplanes so whenever the aircraft transfers to another squadron it can continue to be updated.   

Let me know if you need to borrow one and I'll work on it,  as the Oklahoma Wing is more than happy to support our brothers/sisters on the other side of the Red River. ;D

Thanks.  I appreciate it.  It's possible the cable may be somewhere.  The plane was transferred from another squadron.  I'm not entirely sure the GPS installation includes the connector to accept the cable.  I'll have to look for it the next time I'm in the plane.  Where is the connector located in your plane(s)?

UPDATE:
Our plane has what appears to be a DB9 connector on the right side of the panel which I can only imagine is the connector to update the database.  Is this the same for your plane(s)?

mynetdude

I googled the KN89 GPS and briefly looked at various websites and one I came across had a "docking station" and at first I thought you could hook it up to a PC to update it or add GPS waypoints or whatever.  Now while it didn't say anything about that, it mentioned that the docking station was for training/learning how to use the GPS when not in the aircraft.

I would assume you'd have to remove the GPS itself? How do you do that? just unplug it from the panel like the faceplate of a car stereo? If thats the case, that'd be cool then you can do table tops on the GPS for training and possibly even update it without having to actually be in the aircraft itself.  I would bet this piece of equipment the docking station is rather spendy.

Sure you'd still need the cable I am sure, don't know if the docking station is something to look into... IMHO it would be if we had one in our plane(s) then we can just pull it out and stick it in the docking station and something REAL to play with :).

CFI_Ed

UPDATE:
Our plane has what appears to be a DB9 connector on the right side of the panel which I can only imagine is the connector to update the database.  Is this the same for your plane(s)?
That's the same as ours.  The cable goes from there to a USB, not sure what type though.  Let me know if you can't find yours.  You could borrow one from us to do the update, then you'd have an idea of what type you need. 

We update our KLN's using a laptop without removing them from the aircraft.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

rgr84

We have a KLN90B in our airplane.  Our local avionics shop fabricated a cable that runs from our computer to a helicopter port they installed by the 89B to transfer data.

Frenchie

Quote from: CFI_Ed on March 20, 2008, 01:12:00 AM
UPDATE:
That's the same as ours.  The cable goes from there to a USB, not sure what type though.  Let me know if you can't find yours.  You could borrow one from us to do the update, then you'd have an idea of what type you need. 

We update our KLN's using a laptop without removing them from the aircraft.

According to our squadron and the wing, we don't have the cable and the previous squadron that had the plane can't find it either.  I would like to borrow one of your cables to see exactly what it is so we can either buy or fabricate our own.  I'll send you a PM with the address.

Frenchie

Quote from: rgr84 on March 20, 2008, 09:54:06 AM
We have a KLN90B in our airplane.  Our local avionics shop fabricated a cable that runs from our computer to a helicopter port they installed by the 89B to transfer data.

I think that's the standard installation which uses the proprietary cable, however some CAP aircraft seem to have a DB9 connector instead of the round one.

Frenchie

OK, so the next question becomes, can we update the database with our Jepp supscription, or do we need to download the updates from Honeywell?

I already found and downloaded the downloader software from Honeywell and I have the directions on how to do it.

CFI_Ed

Quote from: Frenchie on March 20, 2008, 01:47:44 PM
OK, so the next question becomes, can we update the database with our Jepp supscription, or do we need to download the updates from Honeywell?

I already found and downloaded the downloader software from Honeywell and I have the directions on how to do it.
Okay - email me and we can verify the cable is correct.  I was mistaken on configuration, so we need to work out that I send the right cable.   You update from Jepp, the loader software is from Bendix-King/Honeywell.  Maybe you can fab it, the OK Wing CC said the squadron/wing  might have to buy a replacement from Bendix-King.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Frenchie

Quote from: CFI_Ed on March 20, 2008, 02:55:03 PM
Quote from: Frenchie on March 20, 2008, 01:47:44 PM

Okay - email me and we can verify the cable is correct.  I was mistaken on configuration, so we need to work out that I send the right cable.   You update from Jepp, the loader software is from Bendix-King/Honeywell.  Maybe you can fab it, the OK Wing CC said the squadron/wing  might have to buy a replacement from Bendix-King.

From what I can tell, the Bendix/King cable looks like this:

It doesn't appear as if this cable will work, because we have a DB9 connector on the panel (which I assume is for GPS updates).  Perhaps there is a round connector somewhere else that I am missing.  I'm going out to the hangar today to have a look and take some pictures.

CFI_Ed

QuotePerhaps there is a round connector somewhere else that I am missing.

Look on the faceplate of the GPS.  I was mistaken in that the update is done thru that round connector and not the DB9 according to the guys who have been doing it.  I've only done it once myself and I don't remember where the cable connectors went.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Frenchie

Quote from: CFI_Ed on March 20, 2008, 07:28:30 PM

Look on the faceplate of the GPS.  I was mistaken in that the update is done thru that round connector and not the DB9 according to the guys who have been doing it.  I've only done it once myself and I don't remember where the cable connectors went.

I don't see anything that would work on the faceplate, other than a tiny hole under NAV.

Here is the mystery connector:

SJFedor

Quote from: Frenchie on March 21, 2008, 12:00:55 AM

I don't see anything that would work on the faceplate, other than a tiny hole under NAV.

Isn't there a removable data card on the left hand side?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Frenchie

Quote from: SJFedor on March 21, 2008, 12:17:45 AM
Isn't there a removable data card on the left hand side?

Yes, the card is removable, however I don't think it's any type of standard card that you can easily connect to a PC and reprogram.  You can order new cards and install them, but that service is obviously more expensive.

SJFedor

Quote from: Frenchie on March 21, 2008, 12:00:55 AM

That mystery connector may be the data port to program the NPX FM radio.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Frenchie

The DB9 cable was definitely a red herring.  As someone else suggested, I'm pretty sure it's for the FM radio.  The round GPS update port was cleverly hidden and somewhat camouflaged, but I finally found it.  With the help of a loaned cable from CFI_Ed, I was able to successfully update the database after a short learning curve.

Frenchie

For reference purposes, if anyone else needs a cable, it's easy enough to make your own.

Aircraftspruce has the plug:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/plugsnjacks.php

The connections are as follows:

DB9-2 <> U174-3
DB9-3 <> U174-2
DB9-5 <> U174-4
DB9-case ground <> U174-1