CAP plane lands on highway

Started by RiverAux, March 11, 2008, 11:49:03 PM

PHall

Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 04:40:15 AM
Quote from: a2capt on March 24, 2008, 03:28:14 AM
...this is the day before that image above. The afternoon when we had the engine out.

I remember that instructor well, in the Citabria. "Center of the runway! Thwap!" ..

She sat behind me, of course.

So... your instructor was in the back???? I'm not sure I like that idea, if something goes wrong and I am not sure and my instructor is in the back? forget it... I won't even fly unless my instructor is in the right seat (that is if I could even fly, I can't now heh... )

Although I can convince any pilot in my squadron when they have time to take me up and I pay the fuel and aircraft use to my wing no problem :).

The airplane in the picture is NOT a Citabria, it's a Cessna 172.
The Citabria is a 2 seat, tail dragger. The second seat is behind the front seat.
Hence the dope slap from the back seat!

SJFedor

Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 04:40:15 AM
Quote from: a2capt on March 24, 2008, 03:28:14 AM
...this is the day before that image above. The afternoon when we had the engine out.

I remember that instructor well, in the Citabria. "Center of the runway! Thwap!" ..

So... your instructor was in the back???? I'm not sure I like that idea, if something goes wrong and I am not sure and my instructor is in the back? forget it... I won't even fly unless my instructor is in the right seat (that is if I could even fly, I can't now heh... )

Although I can convince any pilot in my squadron when they have time to take me up and I pay the fuel and aircraft use to my wing no problem :).

You better be doing a 50/50 split, or that pilot better be commercial rated. Otherwise, that's a pretty big FAR violation. Even if he is a commercial pilot, it better be IAW FAR Part 119, which I'm not too sure it would be.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

cnitas

QuoteThe airplane in the picture is NOT a Citabria, it's a Cessna 172.
The Citabria is a 2 seat, tail dragger. The second seat is behind the front seat.
Hence the dope slap from the back seat
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

a2capt

Quote from: from myself on March 24, 2008, 03:28:14 AM

vvvv Citabria vvvv

... infact, the very one I used for my cross country's and check ride.

mynetdude

I hope the instructor is comfortable with you being able to handle an inflight emergency in a plane that has tandem seats like that cuz if you were not sure or you "froze" well... good luck.  ^^^

flyguy06

Quote from: RiverAux on March 11, 2008, 11:49:03 PM
From Wisconsin...2 CAP pilots practicing engine-out landing couldn't get it revved back up again and landed on a highway....

Great photo with the story: http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080311/WDH0101/303110039/1981

Also: http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/16561906.html

Title edit - MIKE

Are you a pilot?

You do realize that engineout landings dont mean you actually cut the engine off dont you? You bring the power backto Idle. It doesnt need to be be revved up because it is never revved down

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 27, 2008, 04:20:12 AMAre you a pilot?

You do realize that engineout landings dont mean you actually cut the engine off dont you? You bring the power backto Idle. It doesnt need to be be revved up because it is never revved down

That made no sense.

They pulled power. Could not restore power. Landed on road.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

During engine out procedures  about every minute or so, more or less as time load permits I flick the throttle just a bit, inch or so- clear the engine- people have experienced when they apply that power again the thing just sputters and pukes.  Hence, the road landing. Not being there it's really hard to pass any judgement as to what happened. Perhaps the conditions were just right for carb ice.

Point is, you go to 'recover' your engine at 500 AGL and it pukes on you, sputters, spits or whatever it's doing, believe me, as I pilot I would rather at least maintain and fly forward but 500 ft is about a minute away from the ground. They landed.

We had similar issues with a 152 in our club, twice- interestingly, different pilot(s), same maneuvers, same time of year roughly and WX conditions in the same area away from the home field.

Both said "there's something wrong with it" and would not fly it back. A year apart.

Carb ice was the only real conclusion. But carb ice in August? Can't be! ;-)

There was nothing wrong with it. After having it checked out I went and got it, twice.

Oh, and FWIW- the Citabria, like nearly every production aircraft has two sets of controls, in this case due to the configuration that control set also includes power settings.

RiverAux

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 27, 2008, 04:20:12 AM
From Wisconsin...2 CAP pilots practicing engine-out landing couldn't get it revved back up again and landed on a highway....

Great photo with the story: http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080311/WDH0101/303110039/1981

Title edit - MIKE

Are you a pilot?

No, I'm not, but where did I say they turned the engine off?  "Revved up" obvioiusly isn't the technical term for what they were trying to do, but it does describe basically the procedure. 

flyguy06

Quote from: RiverAux on March 27, 2008, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on March 27, 2008, 04:20:12 AM

Title edit - MIKE

Are you a pilot?

No, I'm not, but where did I say they turned the engine off?  "Revved up" obvioiusly isn't the technical term for what they were trying to do, but it does describe basically the procedure. 
sorry dude, but when you say revved up, it implies that it was revved down. At least thats how I read it. Sorry for the confusion