Thoughts on building time

Started by Flying Pig, January 31, 2008, 05:49:48 AM

Flying Pig

My Examiner asked me during my Commercial check ride, "When you hit the 1000 hour mark, ask yourself honestly, do I have 1000 hours, or 1 hr. 1000 times."
I didn't think much of it at the time, but it has stuck with me.  Am I continually learning every time I fly, or is every hour just like the last one.  I just broke the 300 hr mark, so I am still learning every time I go, especially with my Mission Pilot qual just completed.  I am dying to get into a Mountain Course now.

RogueLeader

That's an interesting question. . . .
I do believe that there is always something new to learn, even in the repetitions of every day activities.
I get back to you.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SJFedor

Hmm...interesting philosophy. Makes you think...

My own personal belief is that, every time I'm in the aircraft, I should learn, or at least reinforce something that was learned, every time. Before I crank, I usually think about something I haven't done in a while.

Now that I've conquered the almightly GA-8, I'm too dying to get into an MFC. I believe we're planning to do one here in TN sometime this spring.

But without the sad results of the last one they did here  :-[

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

bosshawk

Rob(and others): I happen to have been involved in the development of a Mountain Training Course here in CA and am one of the designated instructors.  At least in CA, all it takes to get into a Mt Flying Course is to persuade someone to be the project officer, set up a weekend, invite at least six Mission Pilots to come with corporate aircraft and contact the Wing Mt Flying Chief Instructor.  Our course takes about six hours to complete the ground portion and then two flights of about two hours each with one of the designated instructors.

For you flat landers, remember that here in CA we have some serious mountains: up to 14,000 ft(plus).  Unfortunately, very few folks in this part of the world put their favorite flying machines into the flat lands, so we do a lot of mt search.

I happen to share Flying Pigs philosophy: if I fail to learn something each time that I fly, I feel like I had a failing flight.  Since I am coming up on 49 years since I first soloed, you would think that I am smarter than I really am.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

flyguy06

A good pilot is always learning. I always learn something new when I fly.

JC004

Quote from: SJFedor on January 31, 2008, 05:58:34 AM
My own personal belief is that, every time I'm in the aircraft, I should learn, or at least reinforce something that was learned, every time. Before I crank, I usually think about something I haven't done in a while.

(he developed this habit by trying to think of new ways to scare me while I was in the aircraft)

flyguy06

I dont really like the phrase "timebuilding".  A lot of future airline pilots love to use this phrase. Timebuilding gives the impression that you are just flying to reac the houre requirement to get hired by a particular airline.

Flying is about buliding experience and developing your skill. I am trying to get to the airlines myself but whenever someone asks me "how much more time do you need?" My response is I need x hours amount of experience.

scooter

Time does not mean experience. Experience means experience. Every time I have done something I later thought was dumb, looking back at the incident, it was experience that stopped things from getting worse.  :-[

Frenchie

Quote from: scooter on February 02, 2008, 08:27:59 PM
Time does not mean experience. Experience means experience. Every time I have done something I later thought was dumb, looking back at the incident, it was experience that stopped things from getting worse.  :-[

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

flyguy06

Everytime you fly it is an experience. And I would hope we learn something everytime we fly. So, time does equal experience in the sense of flying.

FW

I still find it amazing that, in CAP, most of our fatal accidents involve very high time pilots.  It is so important to build on each experience.  Never forget what has happened before and like everyone else has already said;  never stop learning.
If you ever think you've done it all, just turn in your ticket.

flyguy06

Quote from: FW on February 03, 2008, 03:41:29 AM
I still find it amazing that, in CAP, most of our fatal accidents involve very high time pilots.  It is so important to build on each experience.  Never forget what has happened before and like everyone else has already said;  never stop learning.
If you ever think you've done it all, just turn in your ticket.

Thats the national average as well, if you look atthe FAA website. People start getting complacent. Age is another factor. I hate to say it, but we have a lot of paople flying inCAP that are over the age of 65 nd wheather you agree with me or not, that is a factor.

Flying Pig

I fly with a pilot who is cresting his 25,000 hour mark.  He has his CFI in helicopters and fixed wing and has been flying professionally for 40 years.  Every time I work with him, I see him looking in the POH, looking in the Rotorcraft Flying handbook.  When we fly, he is always very methodical.  He has had 9 helicopter engine failures in 40 years, and he's still here.  Most of those were back in the day when they were still flying the ol' M.A.S.H Bell 47.

flyguy06

There are always exceptions to everything LT. I never speak in absolutes. I flew with a 74 year old pilot lastmonth. I was giving him a checkout. he couldnt find a common landmark that we use in that area all the time. I put the thing right on his wingtip and he could not find it. Then I asked him to take us home and his situaltional awareness was off. Ilove this man like a Grand father and for that reason I could not check him out. I want him to be safe so he wont hurt himself or others.

SJFedor

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 03, 2008, 09:31:55 PM
There are always exceptions to everything LT. I never speak in absolutes. I flew with a 74 year old pilot lastmonth. I was giving him a checkout. he couldnt find a common landmark that we use in that area all the time. I put the thing right on his wingtip and he could not find it. Then I asked him to take us home and his situaltional awareness was off. Ilove this man like a Grand father and for that reason I could not check him out. I want him to be safe so he wont hurt himself or others.

That's a tough decision to make. A tough one, but the right one. Our CAP Check Pilots are really the last line of defense from yourself in CAP flight operations. The FRO's?  Not nearly as much.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

flyguy06

Yep. this wasnt a CAP checkout though. I am not a check pilot yet. This was at a local flying club

Frenchie

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 06, 2008, 08:49:15 AM
Yep. this wasnt a CAP checkout though. I am not a check pilot yet. This was at a local flying club

I thought CAP was the local flying club.

flyguy06

No, check thisout. we have a navy flying club in our area. In order to join you have to be in the military, retired, spouse or CAP. So, what peopl edo is they join CAP just to get into the Navy flying club. I have members on our roster that have been in CAP since 1998 and hav eonly completeed Level 1. They fly at the navy club all the time but never come to a CAP meeting.
they dont want to fly in CAP because they say its too much red tape to go through.

Flying Pig

Ive run into those people.   I just completed my Mission Pilot status and havnt run into any red tape.  I have told a few prospective members that if they think we are just going to toss them the keys to the plane once their check clears, you got another thing comin'!

Considering that one takes it seriously and doesn't just go through the motions, as a Commercial rated pilot, Im proud to say getting through Scanner, Observer and Mission Pilot aint no joke.

SJFedor

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 09, 2008, 04:21:40 AM
No, check thisout. we have a navy flying club in our area. In order to join you have to be in the military, retired, spouse or CAP. So, what peopl edo is they join CAP just to get into the Navy flying club. I have members on our roster that have been in CAP since 1998 and hav eonly completeed Level 1. They fly at the navy club all the time but never come to a CAP meeting.
they dont want to fly in CAP because they say its too much red tape to go through.

I think we talked about this before. Where I used to live in PA, the local Navy flying club was similarly set up, but they had those problems before, too. So, in order to apply for membership, you had to be a rated CAP mission pilot, and continue to hold the MP qual, otherwise they could boot you.

Solved that problem.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver