Color Guard Flags

Started by Dad2-4, March 03, 2024, 08:04:27 PM

Dad2-4

Regs say a US flag and a CAP flag for a standard 4 person color guard. Is there a reg allowing an exception to that to carry a state flag instead of the CAP flag?

ML07

Yes.

Ref. CAPP 52-8 para 2.4.1
QuoteThe Colors Element consists of no less than four members: Two flag bearers and two guards (When the Civil Air Patrol flag is not available, the colors element may carry the US and/or state flags). The Colors Element may consist of as many as needed to present the colors of the United States, State, Civil Air Patrol, all branches of services, POW and MIA flags
C/1stLt, CAP
C/CC
C/ITO
C/Comm

NIN

I've been in that boat where we were asked to present state flags at a veteran's event or similar (not a CAP event).  It would have made little sense to carry a CAP flag there, so we said "Sure, no problem!" and carried the state flag, POW/MIA flag, etc.

I got an earful from someone who claimed that it was "illegal" (love that word in a CAP regulatory context) to carry anything but the US flag and the CAP flag. 

I mean, really, you're asked by a community organization if you can provide a color guard for a community event. Do you say "Sure, but we can't carry any flag but our own. Sorry, its illegal.." ?  Heck no.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2024, 03:35:40 PMI've been in that boat where we were asked to present state flags at a veteran's event or similar (not a CAP event).  It would have made little sense to carry a CAP flag there, so we said "Sure, no problem!" and carried the state flag, POW/MIA flag, etc.

I got an earful from someone who claimed that it was "illegal" (love that word in a CAP regulatory context) to carry anything but the US flag and the CAP flag. 

I mean, really, you're asked by a community organization if you can provide a color guard for a community event. Do you say "Sure, but we can't carry any flag but our own. Sorry, its illegal.." ?  Heck no.

That's when I get to play my favorite game, "You get a reg cite for that claim of yours?"
And then when they can't produce one, because there isn't one, they usually come back with "well it should be illegal."  ::)

NIN

Quote from: PHall on March 04, 2024, 08:19:28 PMThat's when I get to play my favorite game, "You get a reg cite for that claim of yours?"
And then when they can't produce one, because there isn't one, they usually come back with "well it should be illegal."  ::)

I swear it was in the D&C pamphlet, but perhaps I'm on crack.

Quote from: CAPP 60-337.1.1.3. The color guard will march only in line or in column formation, never inverted. The US flag is always to the farthest right or front amongst the flag bearers. If the color guard consists of only three individuals, the US flag bearer and two guards will comprise the unit. Organizational and/or state flags are never carried without the US flag.

Emphasis mine. I seem to recall there was a more specific prohibition right around that spot previously on what flags could be carried.

There is no similar language anymore.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on March 05, 2024, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: PHall on March 04, 2024, 08:19:28 PMThat's when I get to play my favorite game, "You get a reg cite for that claim of yours?"

I swear it was in the D&C pamphlet, but perhaps I'm on crack.

Quote from: CAPP 60-337.1.1.3. The color guard will march only in line or in column formation, never inverted. The US flag is always to the farthest right or front amongst the flag bearers. If the color guard consists of only three individuals, the US flag bearer and two guards will comprise the unit. Organizational and/or state flags are never carried without the US flag.

Emphasis mine. I seem to recall there was a more specific prohibition right around that spot previously on what flags could be carried.

There is no similar language anymore.

Some people like to to point to paragraph 7.1.1.

7.1.1.  The color guard will consist of three or more cadets. The most senior cadets, when practical, should function as flagbearers for the US and Civil Air Patrol flags since these are positions of honor reserved for experienced personnel. etc...

But that doesn't sound "directive" to me. Besides it's a pamphlet so there's no authority behind it.
At least that's how I see it, YMMV, may not apply in your city, state or nation.