Wear of military ribbons on AF style uniform

Started by cwade1775, January 04, 2012, 02:32:39 AM

lordmonar

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 19, 2012, 08:30:09 PM
SarDragon,  You are correct about the MOH.  You salute the MOH, not the holder of the Medal.

BS.....I don't slaute medals!

QuoteThe winner of the MOH receives the respect he deserves while wearing the MOH.
BS....the receipiant deserves the honors rendored for the service that he/she did that resulted in earning the MoH!

QuoteIf he was not wearing the medal and you did not know him, he would just be another guy on the street, Right?  So, it's the MOH that is honored,   the persons deeds is what earned him the MOH.
Your logic is a little squirly.......and again....you are honoring the person.  It is not like the the U.S. Flag.  I salute the flag...no matter who is carrying it down the road.  When the medal of honor is carried down the road...I'm not saluting it.  If it is not worn by someone duly awarded it then no  honors.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Medal of Honor winners are often referred to as "winners" "awardees" and most commonly "recipients" even by the military.  Semantics.  Dont get wrapped around the axle.  None are disrespectful.   

As far as who/what I am saluting, I was in a museum looking at a case with the Medal of Honor in it.  I guess I should have saluted the frame with the medal in it?   Negative.  You are very much saluting the person.  Without the person, its a piece of cloth and metal.  If you know a MoH winner on sight, but they arent wearing their medal you dont salute them?  I would hope not.  By your definition, you are putting a piece of cloth far above the person.  Seems a little backwards.  I never bought the idea that by saluting an officer you are saluting the rank.  No, you are not.  You very much ARE saluting the person.  The rank is nothing more than a visual symbol of authority.  They dont lose their authority when not in uniform.  Just like in police work.  I dont have to have my badge on my person to exercise the authority it gives me.  Im a Deputy whether I have it on or not.  A Major is a Major whether they have it on or not.  A Medal of Honor winner, awardee, recipient, earner, whatever, still has a Medal of Honor. The idea that a lifeless object deserves more respect than the human wearing it escapes me.  We salute the flag because of the PEOPLE it represents.  The flag itself is a piece of dyed cloth, usually made in China.  Lets not be so robotic about these things. 

GTRanger

Quote from: lordmonar on February 19, 2012, 11:02:58 PM
Quote from: CAPsteve on February 19, 2012, 08:30:09 PM
SarDragon,  You are correct about the MOH.  You salute the MOH, not the holder of the Medal.

BS.....I don't slaute medals!

QuoteThe winner of the MOH receives the respect he deserves while wearing the MOH.
BS....the receipiant deserves the honors rendored for the service that he/she did that resulted in earning the MoH!

QuoteIf he was not wearing the medal and you did not know him, he would just be another guy on the street, Right?  So, it's the MOH that is honored,   the persons deeds is what earned him the MOH.
Your logic is a little squirly.......and again....you are honoring the person.  It is not like the the U.S. Flag.  I salute the flag...no matter who is carrying it down the road.  When the medal of honor is carried down the road...I'm not saluting it.  If it is not worn by someone duly awarded it then no  honors.

1+ for that. Well worded Sir.

"These things we do, that others may live." -USAF Pararescue and Ranger Motto