Main Menu

Squadron Relocation

Started by XxJake114xX, March 13, 2018, 03:35:44 AM

XxJake114xX

Hello there,
This year our squadron is tasked with relocating to a new squadron building. The building we are currently in is dilapidated, as well as to be demolished and built over by a company at the airport. I'm here to ask what advice you all can provide me concerning:
1.) Finding a new location, and
2.) Important factors that need to be taken into account when finding a new location, planning the move, and moving.

Also, what do the National/Regional/State/Local CAP levels of Chain of Command say about squadron relocation? As far as I have been informed, it is up to the squadron to figure out where the squadron meets up.

We have until early/mid October to get into a building.

Much advice is appreciated, and thank you in advance!  :) ;)

Brad

For starters, review CAPR 174-1 Chapter 6, "ACQUIRING AND ACCOUNTING FOR REAL PROPERTY AND FACILITIES FOR CIVIL AIR PATROL"
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

kwe1009

It is definitely on the squadron to find a place to meet.  That doesn't mean that your Group/Wing can't be of assistance.  We had to do this a couple of years ago and this is what we did:

1. Ask the SMs and cadet parents if they knew of a place we could meet
2. Ask the Group and Wing for suggestions
3. Made contact with local schools and Guard/Reserve facilities to see if any were willing to host

Geber

I don't know if the new location will have radios installed. If so, it's best to put the radio room on the ground floor, close to the power entrance, to facilitate good grounding.

Luis R. Ramos

Do not overlook the Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts. They may be very active in the community, and would like to extend service by having an organization like us.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

arajca

1. Good you're starting now instead of Sept.
2. Determine your unit's needs - # of members, storage space needed, access, drill space, hangar/tie-down (if you have an aircraft), comm room, etc. List "Must haves" and "Like to haves" separately.
3. See if the airport has anything available, since you're already there.
4. Use this opportunity to get rid of unneeded equipment and supplies - those things that pile up "just in case we might possibly some day maybe sorta need them". If you haven't used something in two years, chances are you don't need it.
5. Don't overlook churches. Many love to let youth groups meet at their facilities and many will only ask for help with non-religious activities. My unit met at a church and the only 'rent' we paid was helping with the annual church clean-up and their annual community support fund-raiser. Two days of work for dedicated storage space and meeting space whenever we needed it - including weekends.

GZCP31

Also check with any other airports in the area. Take out the local sectional and see what you can find. A small city airport will sometimes be more accommodating that the larger ones. Especially if they are wanting to get their airport noticed and expanded.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

FW

All good advice.  Please remember, though, when you find the "perfect place", DO NOT SIGN A LEASE.  That is for the CAP/GC to deal with....  ;D

MSG Mac

Quote from: FW on March 13, 2018, 06:50:18 PM
All good advice.  Please remember, though, when you find the "perfect place", DO NOT SIGN A LEASE.  That is for the CAP/GC to deal with....  ;D

Also have the GC send a copy of the CAP Insurance policy
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

XxJake114xX

Awesome!! Thank you for providing me with this advice, I will definitely utilize what you have provided me. I read through the manual and will definitely make sure to keep in contact with our GC. :)