OPS Qual Approvals

Started by Billy009, August 28, 2014, 02:33:46 PM

Billy009

Does anyone know who at the Wing level approves completed ES OPS Quals such as MO, AP, etc? There are a few members that have completed their qualifications in the past, including mine (currently), and get hung up for quite a while before getting approved by Wing. I've seen several months. Having recently completed and entered all MO and AP into e-services (Qualifications all green), not sure how long of a wait it will be until actually approved. 

JeffDG

Quote from: Billy009 on August 28, 2014, 02:33:46 PM
Does anyone know who at the Wing level approves completed ES OPS Quals such as MO, AP, etc? There are a few members that have completed their qualifications in the past, including mine (currently), and get hung up for quite a while before getting approved by Wing. I've seen several months. Having recently completed and entered all MO and AP into e-services (Qualifications all green), not sure how long of a wait it will be until actually approved.

List might be incomplete, but the approvers generally are:

DO
DOS
DOST
CV
CC

Also, be aware that sometimes there are informal agreements among these folks about who approves what.  For example, I'm the wing ES Training Officer (DOST), however, the asst-DOST is much more familiar with ground operations, so he reviews all ground qualifications and approves/disapproves them (I'll disapprove anything that's documentarily insufficient, but he looks at everything before approval).  The DO, CC and CV generally leave them alone, leaving the DOS and I to look at all the air/staff qualifications...unless something's funky, it's pretty rare that something sits more than a week for us.  Where the CC/CV/DO will go in is if a qualification sits for much more than a couple weeks without anything done to them.

Billy009

That makes sense. Thank you. Unfortunately, our (anonymous) wing allows such things to sit for a very long time. Bummer.

Billy009

Also, I appreciate that you guys handle things in a timely manner. I'm sure your squadron members appreciate it.

Storm Chaser

You may want to check with your wing. While anyone with a "C" or "DO" in front of they're office symbol have Ops Quals approval permissions, some wings designate specific individuals to do these approvals.

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 28, 2014, 04:17:18 PM
You may want to check with your wing. While anyone with a "C" or "DO" in front of they're office symbol have Ops Quals approval permissions, some wings designate specific individuals to do these approvals.

I don't think DOVs can approve ES quals...

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on August 28, 2014, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 28, 2014, 04:17:18 PM

I don't think DOVs can approve ES quals...

They shouldn't, but they do. Just like DOS have Ops Quals permissions to approve pilot stuff. Unlike Comm and Transportation, which are really separate modules with separate permissions in Ops Quals, ES, Ops and Stan/Eval all share the same permissions. That said, the commander determines who can approve what.

Tim Medeiros

The following have access to the approvals module of opsquals.  Note that comm folks only have access to the communications tab a logistics only have the drivers license tab.

Operations Qualifications
Approvals / Data-Entry / Operations
Commander, Communications Engineering Officer, Communications Licensing Officer, Communications Officer , Communications Training Officer, DCS Communications, DCS Emergency Services, DCS Logistics, DCS Operations, Deputy Commander, Deputy Commander for Seniors, Director of Communications, Director of Emergency Services, Director of Logistics, Director of Operations, Emergency Services Officer, Emergency Services Training Officer, Green Flag Chief Mission Coordinator, Green Flag Chief Sensor Operator, Green Flag Commander, Green Flag Director of Training, Green Flag National Coordinator, Green Flag National Director of Stan/Eval, Green Flag Stan/Eval East, Green Flag Stan/Eval West, Logistics Officer, Operations Officer, Standardization/Evaluation Officer, Transportation Officer, Vice Commander
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Billy009

Thank you for your responses. Apparently, here it can be several months before they get to it even if all the info provided is correct. Does this mean that you're still in trainee status and technically not a qualified MO, AP, etc until they check it off?

Eclipse

Quote from: Billy009 on August 29, 2014, 10:12:26 PM
Thank you for your responses. Apparently, here it can be several months before they get to it even if all the info provided is correct. Does this mean that you're still in trainee status and technically not a qualified MO, AP, etc until they check it off?

Correct, though most mission bases will accepted signed SQTRs when necessary.

The approval time should be hours not months.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

That sounds like a bunch of computerphobics, people still living in the paper age, are in charge .. ;-)

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on August 30, 2014, 04:18:30 AM
That sounds like a bunch of computerphobics, people still living in the paper age, are in charge .. ;-)

"Internet could be out at mission base, and we can't forget how to use paper, so you have to submit a CAPF 100 in triplicate via fax."

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2014, 10:21:57 PM
Quote from: Billy009 on August 29, 2014, 10:12:26 PM

Correct, though most mission bases will accepted signed SQTRs when necessary.

The approval time should be hours days not months.

I fixed that for you. While many approvers have the time and flexibility to constantly check Ops Quals for quals and achievements pending approval, we shouldn't expect volunteers to be in Ops Quals every few hours of every day. That said, it should never take more than a few days.

Eclipse

Sorry, if you want the job, do it. Checking eServices daily won't kill anyone.
That's why there are supposed to he deputies and staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 12:58:15 PM
Who said anyone "wanted" the job?  ;D
But point taken.   NO OPS QUAL request should take longer then a week to process.   Even if you check your E-services once a week.   If you can't do it that often....then you should have told them you just don't have the time to do the job.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 12:58:15 PM

Cite please. Nowhere in the job description does it say you have to check Ops Quals every few hours as you suggested. Not everyone has the free time and flexibility you have. Waiting a day or two (not weeks or months) "won't kill anyone".  ;)

Eclipse

Once a day is reasonable, that's not too much to ask of anyone.

It would be nice if the notification system worked for those kinds of things, but I found it was not consistent.
Some would notify, some wouldn't.

Also, if the lower echelons are doing their jobs properly, then the approval at the wing level should be quick,
and not require more then a once-over, yet sadly a lot of CCs just "click without reading" which means their stuff
gets put on the back-burner until the higher guys can address whatever the issue is.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

It would be nice if the notification system worked for those kinds of things, but I found it was not consistent.

Also, if the lower echelons are doing their jobs properly, then the approval at the wing level should be quick,
and not require more then a once-over, yet sadly a lot of CCs just "click without reading" which means their stuff
gets put on the back-burner until the higher guys can address whatever the issue is.
Do you have a number of examples of things that notified and things that didn't?  (Specifically speaking to OpsQuals)  If I can get a listing by the next meeting I have with NHQ/IT I'll bring it up.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

MajorM

To the original poster... If it's been a reasonable period of time you can always follow up with an email.  They can always ignore your email, but at least it's an attempt.

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 31, 2014, 02:40:20 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

Do you have a number of examples of things that notified and things that didn't?  (Specifically speaking to OpsQuals)  If I can get a listing by the next meeting I have with NHQ/IT I'll bring it up.

Unfortunately I don't - not really the kind of thing one keeps notes on.

"That Others May Zoom"