Modernizing the physical fitness program

Started by Eclipse, August 26, 2014, 05:35:12 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on August 29, 2014, 09:41:16 PMWhere do the cadets with "q" Physical Fitness come from?   Well from the squadrons of course.

?

So now we have squadrons training cadets in excess of the CPFT standards?
Where do you send the summons when someone gets hurt?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2014, 09:45:26 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 29, 2014, 09:41:16 PMWhere do the cadets with "q" Physical Fitness come from?   Well from the squadrons of course.

?

LOL.  Try again.....Here is the PJOC PFE

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Try what again?  Does it exceed the expectations for some cadets in the current CPFT or not?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2014, 09:56:51 PM
Try what again?  Does it exceed the expectations for some cadets in the current CPFT or not?
Completely different standards.

Push ups are different, sit ups are different, pull up are not part of the CPFT.

PJOC is harder then everyday CAP life.....so they got different standards.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

?

Generally, and you should know this, if a cadet wants to go to a physically demanding activity, they should know either by their own research or word-of-mouth that they should start prepping well before the activity, especially if the requirements are outlined. And they are. Of course, there are some cadoinks that don't think anything of it and show up completely unprepared and die. No squadron is going to supplant the CPFT to an NCSA standard. That's just not a-gonna happen. Parents will revolt, cadets will leave, and we'll be stuck with an unholy mess.

It's just causing me to shake my head at all the CPFT requirements, and how we are going to enforce/change them given our current number of contact hours per monthly PT session. It's up to the cadets, just like testing and drilling, to get up to par. And they either will, or they won't. Those that want to promote will kick themselves in the butt to make the promotions, and those who want to coast, won't. I have a brand new cadet who is working his butt off trying to pass his PT for his first stripe, and I have a few 0 and 1 stripers who are on the verge of getting a really serious talking to pretty soon. There are athletes, and there are bookworms. There are a few with known and documented medical issues, and some who just play sick when it suits them. It's a real mixed bag.

My professional opinions is this: Those who want to move up and move on, will, and will do whatever is necessary to progress. Those who won't will be given a choice to either promote or leave.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2014, 09:25:34 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 29, 2014, 09:05:25 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on August 29, 2014, 04:45:25 PM
Catrulz,

What would you do with the cadet who wants to go to a physically demanding NCSA like PJOC who can't pass the PT test?
PJOC has it's own standards.....can't pass it....can't go.

No CAP activity should have PT standards which exceed the grade-appropriate level for a respective cadet.
Strong non-concur.   

PJOC is a USAF career field orientation course.   The career field requires the highest level of fitness and far surpasses the requirements for the rest of the regular military; indoc is one of the most physically and mentally challenging training among all services.  It would be inappropriate for standards for an orientation course NOT to be higher or reflective of that elevated requirement.

BTW, PJOC is one of the most popular and selective NCSAs...and it is so for the reasons mentioned above.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 29, 2014, 10:08:05 PM
...Of course, there are some cadoinks that don't think anything of it and show up completely unprepared and die....
No, show up unprepared and they are sent home at their own expense.  Happens every year.

They must pass the PJOC PT test upon arrival before heading to the field to help ensure they are capable of keeping up.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2014, 12:30:24 AMThe course is a career field orientation course.

Thank you for making my point.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 12:50:26 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2014, 12:30:24 AMThe course is a career field orientation course.

Thank you for making my point.
You haven't made any points here.

A.Member

?

I sure hope we don't train to standards.  I hope we train to meet and exceed standards. 

How can Excellence be part of our Core Values with anything less?

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2014, 01:00:00 AM
I sure hope we don't train to standards.  I hope we train to meet and exceed standards. 

You can't, and yet, there you go...

PJOC is what it is, my original point was that CAP units are not preparing cadets, by a long shot for participation, and
certainly won't be if the CPFT is changed as the proposal indicates.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2014, 01:21:44 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2014, 01:00:00 AM

You can't, and yet, there you go...

PJOC is what it is, my original point was that CAP units are not preparing cadets, by a long shot for participation, and
certainly won't be if the CPFT is changed as the proposal indicates.

CAP shouldn't prepare cadets for PJOC. That is on their own dime. Not a part of their normal progression.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Bob, I think you're way off base here. I just looked at the PJOC test, and compared it to CAPP 52-18. I used the minimum age for PJOC (15) as a baseline.

2014 PJOC PHYSICAL FITNESS EVALUATION requirements:
http://ncsas.com/file.cfm/media/careerfairs/documents/02152014_PJOC_PFE_D45D305D12F7D.pdf

CAPP 52-18:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_018_501C183A14D19.pdf

The PJOC run is easier than any 15 yo or older passing requirement in 52-18. The pushups and situps are comparable to 15 yo Mitchell requirements. Pullups aren't part of the 52-18, but PJOC is upper body intensive, so I think it's a reasonable requirement.

The physical part is supposed to be hard. Being a PJ in the AD AF isn't for everyone. Our NCSA is a look at the career field, and how demanding it is. There's some partial immersion here. Only the strong survive.

FWIW, I could pass 3/4 of the test as a 40 yo. Couldn't do that many pushups.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Fair enough.  >I< didn't look, I asked "is it comparable" and it seems to be.   Several other people commented,
apparently, based on assumptions.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

FWIW, the standards cited above are new and different from the previous standards:
http://www.ncsas.com/file.cfm/media/careerfairs/documents/PJOC_PT_Requirements_7B77B39C6CC8B.pdf

APJOC also includes a swim qual.

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2014, 09:25:34 PMNo CAP activity should have PT standards which exceed the grade-appropriate level for a respective cadet.

Well, they ignore a few different aspects of CPPT so ignoring other parts of our program isn't all that surprising.

SarDragon

Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2014, 05:15:21 AM
FWIW, the standards cited above are new and different from the previous standards:
http://www.ncsas.com/file.cfm/media/careerfairs/documents/PJOC_PT_Requirements_7B77B39C6CC8B.pdf

That's the first one I found, and it's not really all that different. The biggest individual differences are the run, the pullups, and no flutter kicks. The other big change is doing away with the point system.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

68w20

Quote from: Fubar on August 30, 2014, 07:12:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2014, 09:25:34 PMNo CAP activity should have PT standards which exceed the grade-appropriate level for a respective cadet.

Well, they ignore a few different aspects of CPPT so ignoring other parts of our program isn't all that surprising.

Such as?

A.Member

Quote from: SarDragon on August 30, 2014, 09:26:48 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2014, 05:15:21 AM

That's the first one I found, and it's not really all that different. The biggest individual differences are the run, the pullups, and no flutter kicks. The other big change is doing away with the point system.
Agreed.  Just pointing out that it did change.

A.Member

Quote from: 68w10 on August 30, 2014, 01:06:00 PM
Quote from: Fubar on August 30, 2014, 07:12:03 AM

Such as?
Yeah, explain.